Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Doran pressurerpro tire monitor?

Can I use this tire pressure monitor on our classic trailer?
Since it uses screw on valve stem sensors I wanted to make sure there was clearance on those rims.

I am assuming that the ALCOA wheels that come with the Classic have metal valve stems is this correct?

Thanks
Pappy

Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I don't know about your stems. I had metal valve stems put on my 2005 CCD and I use the pressure pro monitoring system for all 8 tires (tow vehicle as well). They worked on both the rubber and metal stems and clear the aluminum wheel just fine. Really happy with the system. It alerted me to a flat trailer tire a few months ago & I was able to pull over before it went completely flat & did any damage.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I have a Classic and there is no problem with the valve stems. Such a great feeling to go down the road and know your psi at anytime.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
Big Dee,

We have a 2005 Classic 30 and are thinking about getting a tire pressure/heat monitoring system. We are thinking of SamrTire. Do you have that brand or do you have pressurepro?

Any problems in the accuracy of the data?

Thanks,
Sonia
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I have the Smartire and like it very much. The downside is that the sensors are installed inside the tire. The upsides are that your sensors can't be easily stolen, it gives you temperature as well as pressure and it has temperature compensation so if your tire are supposed to be at 60 lbs when the temp is 60 degrees, it know that they should be 70 lbs (or whatever) at 100 degrees.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Sonia,

I have Doran PressurePro and I like it a lot. It's a piece of mind thing. Doran doesn't do temperature, though. I am pretty sure the data is accurate. I'll have to check with my good tire psi gauge this week to see just how accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia
Big Dee,

We have a 2005 Classic 30 and are thinking about getting a tire pressure/heat monitoring system. We are thinking of SamrTire. Do you have that brand or do you have pressurepro?

Any problems in the accuracy of the data?

Thanks,
Sonia

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Pressure Pro now sells a small lock that will lock the sensor onto the valve stem IF you have metal valve stems. I think about $5 each.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I will get the sensor but what brand / model / pric would you recommend for a tire pressure gage? I don't want to go bouncing around buying stuff only to find out that there is one that the boys swear by.

Thanks
Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Also, I read recently that someone is using a temp sensor that has a laser pointer to check tire temps when stopped during a trip. Do you like that idea?

Thanks
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Advantages of temperature sensing

I recently installed a pair of Smartire sensors in the wheels of my 19' Bambi.

We spent last weekend up on the cool 9,000'+ Mt Graham in SE Arizona, when we left the trailer tires were registering a cool 63 degrees. On the descent I was aggravating my old lady by checking the temp. and pressure on the way down the mountain.

By the time we were about halfway down I noticed a significant temperature difference, 136 degrees compared to 85 degrees on the low side, but there was no change in tire pressure. The 136 degree temperature was quit a bit lower then the 176 degree alarm setting, but I decided to pull over to check things out, thinking that the difference could be explained by either a brake or bearing failure.

One of the trailer brake drums was not at all warm compared to the other side, and the tow vehicle's brake drums and disks.

I always check the trailer brakes when starting out, but obviously using the hand control only indicated that at least one wheel was braking.

I preceded on the 130 mile trip home cautiously knowing that I had about a 15% breaking deficiency.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iver
Also, I read recently that someone is using a temp sensor that has a laser pointer to check tire temps when stopped during a trip. Do you like that idea?

Thanks
The remote thermometer isn't laser; it senses temperature by sensing infra-red radiation. I bought mine at Radio Shack some time ago. Some tests on familiar objects indicated that it was quite accurate. In hot weather, especially, I check my tires frequently.

I look more for one tire that is out of line with the others than for any particular degree of temperature. If I am caravanning, I usually check the trailers around me as well.

The sunny side tires are always a few degrees hotter than the shady side of the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Both systems are good. Doran is a relabeled PressurePro, they do not make it. SmarTire is good too however the cost of temp sensing is a major factor in sales and installation. Often the tire changers break them when changing tires so make sure you warn them and watch them each time.
We chose to distribute the PressurePro for several reasons. Cost, reliability, ease and cost of installation (Free) and the fact that you can read the pressure while stationary. Also they are the leader in Tire Pressure Monitoring System aftermarket and one of the fastest growing companies in KC. Trucking companies are gobbling them up as well and will be featured this season on CMT's "Trick My Truck".
Most important is to get something. Insurance companies are aware of them since they are now required on new passenger vehicles (2007) and don't be surprised if there is an insurance discount for installing a system very soon.
Like John just mentioned above, the sunny side of your tires will also show a higher pressure reading too so you have some temp sensing with the PressurePro as well.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Just installed a PressurePro on the Bambi and the TV, and love it. It is very accurate and reliable. The infra-red thermometer seems like a great idea, and will probably be the next investment.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Dorian pressurepro monitor

I installed a set of Dorian PressurePro sensors just hours before a ST225/75R15 LRD allowed its belts ot shift and blow. I was able to pull to the side of I64 and watch the tire go flat.
In my mind they paid for themselves tight then and there.
On another camping trip they called my attention to a low tire at the campground prior to leaving before I had the chance to check tire pressures.
While investigating the low tire I noticed a belt slip on the adjacent tire.
Almost forgot, I had problems with one of the Sensors and had a new one in the course of a week(there was no rush on my part). Great company to deal with.
Beginner