Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I am not paranoid, I have real enemies. They hide under the trailer at night.

Gene
Sometimes I think my enemy IS the trailer!

I am amazed at how often when we go on a trip, something gives us headaches, I always wonder what will be next! For me it is a real (and rare) treat to go on a trip with absolutely nothing going awry!

We are on our third trailer and it has always been like this - somehow I thought the AS might be different ........ but no!

I don't know if all RV'ers experience this, or if I'm just like the guy in
the Lil' Abner cartoons that used to walk about with a little cloud over his head!

If it is a common thing, then I wonder how folks who are not somewhat handy in fixing things cope.

I've been a long time car restorer, motorcycle nut, electronics tinkerer and general jack of all trades and so manage to handle most things myself, albeit with a bit of swearing at times and a beer or two to help things along, but I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Maybe they aren't RV'ers!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I only very occasionally lose a signal from a sensor, and it is found again very quickly. I am sure with a 30'er that I am pushing the limits of the signal distance. I mount the receiver just below the top of the dash so I am passing the signal through a lot of "stuff". Mine has performed flawlessly so far, other than the occasional lost signal. I am sure the antenna extension would eliminate that, but it happens very infrequently, so I just havent done it. The unit does come with a depth guage for the valve stem. I have one which is almost too deep but is barely ok. If you loosen the stem you will lose air when the sending unit is removed. ( I remove mine if I am staying put for more than a day and during storage to save battery life) There are cores available which have a longer stem. If yours are too deep, take one to the auto store and compare lengths.

Overall I am happy with the Doran 360.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Sometimes I think my enemy IS the trailer!

I am amazed at how often when we go on a trip, something gives us headaches, I always wonder what will be next! For me it is a real (and rare) treat to go on a trip with absolutely nothing going awry!

We are on our third trailer and it has always been like this - somehow I thought the AS might be different ........ but no!

I don't know if all RV'ers experience this, or if I'm just like the guy in
the Lil' Abner cartoons that used to walk about with a little cloud over his head!

If it is a common thing, then I wonder how folks who are not somewhat handy in fixing things cope.

I've been a long time car restorer, motorcycle nut, electronics tinkerer and general jack of all trades and so manage to handle most things myself, albeit with a bit of swearing at times and a beer or two to help things along, but I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Maybe they aren't RV'ers!

Brian.
Naw, Brian,

the cloud belongs to all RV'ers. If ya don't like to tinker, ya might like the Hilton better!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer

Brian.
I think for one to own an RV (as well as many other things), a person needs to take a lot of this as part of the adventure. ;-) Many of us try to find innovative ways to improve on what the manufacturer has built and this becomes a hobby we share with fellow RVers. Should you trade up to one of those behemoths with heated marble floors that has a couple of commas in the price tag, you will still experience the adventure, only you may have someone on your staff who will keep it all going for you.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
I think for one to own an RV (as well as many other things), a person needs to take a lot of this as part of the adventure. ;-) Many of us try to find innovative ways to improve on what the manufacturer has built and this becomes a hobby we share with fellow RVers. Should you trade up to one of those behemoths with heated marble floors that has a couple of commas in the price tag, you will still experience the adventure, only you may have someone on your staff who will keep it all going for you.
EXACTLY! Ya either LOVE it or ya don't!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Maybe, I love it most when I don't have a lot of marginally performing gadgets to tinker with. Left the Tire pressure sensors off on last trip and was more comfortable traveling with one less thing to watch. Maybe we have been lucky, but have traveled all over the country (and world) for some 45 years with a minimum of this stuff and never missed it.

doug k
Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Maybe, I love it most when I don't have a lot of marginally performing gadgets to tinker with. Left the Tire pressure sensors off on last trip and was more comfortable traveling with one less thing to watch. Maybe we have been lucky, but have traveled all over the country (and world) for some 45 years with a minimum of this stuff and never missed it.

doug k
There ya go, you found what works for you. I have a nephew who has called me (affectionately????) Mr. Gadget since he was about 7 years old....so I'm at the other end of the spectrum!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think there would be a lot of reasons the signal from the sensors would drop out:

1. At the edge of the range, but that should make more than one sensor do the same at about the same time, however, different battery life in different sensors could affect range.
2. Faulty sensor.
3. Sensor battery dying or dead.
4. Valve stem core is at the point where it sometimes doesn't contact properly, but why would that change back and forth while driving?
5. Signal interference from other source.
6. Faulty monitor.
7. Bad connection from truck 12 v. socket to monitor.
8. Monitor needs to be reprogrammed because of unstable software.

Some of these would mean an intermittent problem and some should mean it stays dead until you discover the problem. A weak battery may recover for a while if you remove the sensor until you need it again, but that is assuming the sensor doesn't send a signal when removed—I believe that is true because when I remove one the monitor shows no signal from that sensor.

When troubleshooting, I look for the simplest things first and those that don't cost me any money. That doesn't always work. Sometimes it is process of elimination. Next time it will be easier.

It is true that things go wrong and a long trip with no problems would be a boon. Things usually go wrong when we are traveling because of the obvious—that's when we are using it. So I have reduced my expectations—I hope for a trip without anything going wrong that gets us stuck somewhere—axle falls off, wheel bearings turn to scrap metal, moose crashes into trailer totaling it, tornado turns it into a pretzel, fridge fails, furnace dies in late fall during cold snap. Some of those are catastrophic, some delay you for a few days while fixing it. A bad sensor or even a leak is not so bad then. My attempts to be logical and reasonable about these things do not always work and then cursing the trailer, Airstream, the presidents of Airstream and Thor Industries, enemies and anyone nearby can be very good therapy. Do not kick the offending part unless you wear steel toed boots.

Gene
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Had my Pressure Pro for about 5 years. It alerted for a sudden pressure loss due to a failed valve stem. It fades (both sensors) occasionally, but always comes back on. I like knowing the pressure of the tires on a single axle trailer, and would replace it in a heartbeat, if necessary, with one that has user replaceable batteries.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That brings up another point about the sensors. Could their flopping around contribute to valve stem failure. Most likely.

I suppose we could pull the wheels and replace the rubber stems with metal, and then there is the metal corrosion issue.

Again, I believe Airstream designed this trailer on 80 years experience and, bless their corporate bottom-line hearts, it works pretty good as is. Each add-on gadget comes with it's own complications.

doug
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That brings up another point about the sensors. Could their flopping around contribute to valve stem failure. Most likely.

I suppose we could pull the wheels and replace the rubber stems with metal, and then there is the metal corrosion issue.

Again, I believe Airstream designed this trailer on 80 years experience and, bless their corporate bottom-line hearts, it works pretty good as is. Each add-on gadget comes with it's own complications.

doug
D rated tires and above should have metal valve stems anyway, but, yes, metal stems should be used with external TPMS sensors....IMHO.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Indeed, metal valve stems should be used and, on the advice of the installer, balancing the tires with the sensors on should also be done. One would think, that with Airstream's "80 years experience" they would be putting metal stems on their D rated tires. Ironically, while at Airstream in Jackson Center a couple of years back, I noticed a Pressure Pro parts display at the Airstream Store.

In my own experience, the Pressure Pro worked exactly as advertised and, in my opinion, enhances the safety of the towing experience for all involved. I also like gadgets, and especially those that keep me informed about the status of my trailer. Like most things, I suppose it's a personal choice.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The screw on sensors I purchased came with aluminum or brass fittings; the manufacturer says putting brass sensors on aluminum stems or vise versa can result in galvanic corrosion, so to specify which to buy. My stems are brass and I can't recall ever seeing aluminum stems, but that could be an issue down the road. The brand is TireMinder and the sensors have user replaceable batteries. I think TireMinder is a Canadian company. The coin style battery is one that is not commonly found, but I've purchased them online under a well known brand for about $2 ea. With free shipping.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Success Report: The issue with mine seemed to be me, i.e., I screwed them on too tightly. When they each cost $50 I wanted to make sure they did not fly off during transit. After the good advice from above, I lightened up quite a bit, just placing them on in the morning with a light twist to the point that air was not escaping. All day for the past two days no false alarms. The forum WORKS again! Thanks all.

TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doran, pressure, sensors, tire, tire pressure