Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Maybe, I love it most when I don't have a lot of marginally performing gadgets to tinker with. Left the Tire pressure sensors off on last trip and was more comfortable traveling with one less thing to watch. Maybe we have been lucky, but have traveled all over the country (and world) for some 45 years with a minimum of this stuff and never missed it.

doug k
There ya go, you found what works for you. I have a nephew who has called me (affectionately????) Mr. Gadget since he was about 7 years old....so I'm at the other end of the spectrum!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think there would be a lot of reasons the signal from the sensors would drop out:

1. At the edge of the range, but that should make more than one sensor do the same at about the same time, however, different battery life in different sensors could affect range.
2. Faulty sensor.
3. Sensor battery dying or dead.
4. Valve stem core is at the point where it sometimes doesn't contact properly, but why would that change back and forth while driving?
5. Signal interference from other source.
6. Faulty monitor.
7. Bad connection from truck 12 v. socket to monitor.
8. Monitor needs to be reprogrammed because of unstable software.

Some of these would mean an intermittent problem and some should mean it stays dead until you discover the problem. A weak battery may recover for a while if you remove the sensor until you need it again, but that is assuming the sensor doesn't send a signal when removed—I believe that is true because when I remove one the monitor shows no signal from that sensor.

When troubleshooting, I look for the simplest things first and those that don't cost me any money. That doesn't always work. Sometimes it is process of elimination. Next time it will be easier.

It is true that things go wrong and a long trip with no problems would be a boon. Things usually go wrong when we are traveling because of the obvious—that's when we are using it. So I have reduced my expectations—I hope for a trip without anything going wrong that gets us stuck somewhere—axle falls off, wheel bearings turn to scrap metal, moose crashes into trailer totaling it, tornado turns it into a pretzel, fridge fails, furnace dies in late fall during cold snap. Some of those are catastrophic, some delay you for a few days while fixing it. A bad sensor or even a leak is not so bad then. My attempts to be logical and reasonable about these things do not always work and then cursing the trailer, Airstream, the presidents of Airstream and Thor Industries, enemies and anyone nearby can be very good therapy. Do not kick the offending part unless you wear steel toed boots.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Had my Pressure Pro for about 5 years. It alerted for a sudden pressure loss due to a failed valve stem. It fades (both sensors) occasionally, but always comes back on. I like knowing the pressure of the tires on a single axle trailer, and would replace it in a heartbeat, if necessary, with one that has user replaceable batteries.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That brings up another point about the sensors. Could their flopping around contribute to valve stem failure. Most likely.

I suppose we could pull the wheels and replace the rubber stems with metal, and then there is the metal corrosion issue.

Again, I believe Airstream designed this trailer on 80 years experience and, bless their corporate bottom-line hearts, it works pretty good as is. Each add-on gadget comes with it's own complications.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That brings up another point about the sensors. Could their flopping around contribute to valve stem failure. Most likely.

I suppose we could pull the wheels and replace the rubber stems with metal, and then there is the metal corrosion issue.

Again, I believe Airstream designed this trailer on 80 years experience and, bless their corporate bottom-line hearts, it works pretty good as is. Each add-on gadget comes with it's own complications.

doug
D rated tires and above should have metal valve stems anyway, but, yes, metal stems should be used with external TPMS sensors....IMHO.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Indeed, metal valve stems should be used and, on the advice of the installer, balancing the tires with the sensors on should also be done. One would think, that with Airstream's "80 years experience" they would be putting metal stems on their D rated tires. Ironically, while at Airstream in Jackson Center a couple of years back, I noticed a Pressure Pro parts display at the Airstream Store.

In my own experience, the Pressure Pro worked exactly as advertised and, in my opinion, enhances the safety of the towing experience for all involved. I also like gadgets, and especially those that keep me informed about the status of my trailer. Like most things, I suppose it's a personal choice.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The screw on sensors I purchased came with aluminum or brass fittings; the manufacturer says putting brass sensors on aluminum stems or vise versa can result in galvanic corrosion, so to specify which to buy. My stems are brass and I can't recall ever seeing aluminum stems, but that could be an issue down the road. The brand is TireMinder and the sensors have user replaceable batteries. I think TireMinder is a Canadian company. The coin style battery is one that is not commonly found, but I've purchased them online under a well known brand for about $2 ea. With free shipping.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Success Report: The issue with mine seemed to be me, i.e., I screwed them on too tightly. When they each cost $50 I wanted to make sure they did not fly off during transit. After the good advice from above, I lightened up quite a bit, just placing them on in the morning with a light twist to the point that air was not escaping. All day for the past two days no false alarms. The forum WORKS again! Thanks all.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Late last year the sensors seemed to stop working on one or two wheels out of four. I reprogrammed the unit this past spring since that helped before.

This year the Doran is giving me more and more problems. I change the tightness and sometimes that works. I will look at the seals on the sensors as recommended above, but I suspect the batteries are ending their life, or the seals are going bad. Like others, I tightened the sensors down for several years and may have caused the problem. I don't believe the paperwork that came with it says anything about how tight to make the sensors.

Since the sensors work intermittently, it is pretty hard to figure it out. Sometimes, as the tires warm up, the sensors start working. I can't see how a few psi would make a difference, but I don't know. The batteries are going on 4 years old. I think Doran claims they have a 5 year life. I always remove them when we are traveling as that should extend the battery life.

Maybe I'll just get another system with replaceable batteries, though Doran claims a sealed unit is better. I can understand it might be, but they sell a sealed unit, so I expect they'd say that.

Four new sensors are $200. Maybe a different system with replaceable batteries would be worth it since I'd never have to order replacement sensors again.

How are the other brands working?

Gene
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Gene, If you're going to spend $$$ anyway ( a new system or new sennsors) do you wanna be the guinnea pig and cut the top off a sensor, submit pics, and see what kind of battery is in them. When the time comes, I'm gonna try and replace the batteries in my Doran and reseal. I've done Ipods and other stuff with "non-replaceable batteries" with great success.

OR, if you're gonna replace...maybe send me one of the old ones for dissection?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I just ordered a Tire Minder through Camping World—it is on sale right now and beats the Amazon price. Since we are leaving in about 10 days, I couldn't trust ground shipping, so FedEx will apparently land a plane in my yard by Thursday for an extra $22. Ground is free with a Good Sam card, but no break on the express shipping.

We are both tired with all the alarms from the Doran because of the well sealed but not so great sensors. Doran does not list a price for the replacements on its website, so rather than wasting time trying to find it out, I assume it is still $50 each. So for about $75 more I get a new system, one that will mount at the corner of the windshield where I can reach it easily and I can replace batteries. I don't think the Tire Minder has a wire to a 12 v. receptacle, but has rechargeable batteries which may be a pain, but we'll get used to it.

The slow leak I thought I had in one tire probably was caused by me having the sensor too loose. I didn't hear air escaping, but enough air must have been leaking to cause a problem. I filled the tire after I discovered it was low and it didn't lose anymore for the next 300+ miles. Yesterday we used soapy water on the tire, bead and valve stem and couldn't find a leak or a nail or a screw in the tire. We are tired of screwing around with the Doran. It worked well for 3 years, but that isn't good enough.

I expect the Doran sensor has a watch type battery. So, dzn', when I get the TM working, I can "crush" the Doran sensor and see what is in it. The sensor doesn't look like taking it apart will be easy and re-sealing may be fruitless, but I will get some pleasure out of destroying it, carefully, of course.

Gene
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Gene, I guess you'll have 4 to play with. I was thinking a hacksaw blade around the groove at the top and remove the "cap" with the writing on it would be my first choice.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

I don't think the Tire Minder has a wire to a 12 v. receptacle, but has rechargeable batteries which may be a pain, but we'll get used to it.

Gene
Gene,
I have the Hawkshead HD which appears to be identical to the Tire Minder. According to Tire Minder, the only difference is the software in the control unit. I'm guessing the difference is the logo that pops up at turn on. Hawkshead will not confirm any knowledge of the existence of Tire Minder. Assuming they use the same hardware, the control unit comes with a 12 v DC charger. My experience is that it will run for weeks with a full charge of the control unit. The sensor batteries last longer than 15 months for me. I gave up waiting and just changed them.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ken,

Glad to hear the charge lasts more than a few days. Can you leave it on the windshield and take out the battery to charge it? I guess I'll know in a few days, but I'd like to sleep tonight. Otherwise I'll be up all night wondering.

I wonder if a Hawkshead detects a Tire Minder, it tries to hack into it?

Gene
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dear Lord, Gene....I thought I was the only one who was sleep deprived over such trivial crap!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Ken,

Glad to hear the charge lasts more than a few days. Can you leave it on the windshield and take out the battery to charge it? I guess I'll know in a few days, but I'd like to sleep tonight. Otherwise I'll be up all night wondering.

I wonder if a Hawkshead detects a Tire Minder, it tries to hack into it?

Gene
The control unit sits in the mount held there by friction. You can lift it loose and leave the mount in place. The charger plugs into a 12v auto type socket. It is not to long, but the control unit could be charged in place while in use, if you had a 12 extension cord.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
UPDATE from the Silver Otter: So, got a new, bigger, truck and had to re-position the console unit down and away. Signal strength fell to nothing, no readings. Went to Doran and bought the extension antenna ($99?) and rigged it on a home made bracket just inside the rear window of the new truck. BINGO. All systems go, and have remained so for many, many miles. No more false alarms.

That said, ours are only about two years old at this point, so the issue about battery life, etc. is still to be faced. Like Gene and dzn I'll probably take tools to them if/when they seem to be failing to see what's in there.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
UPDATE from the Silver Otter: So, got a new, bigger, truck and had to re-position the console unit down and away. Signal strength fell to nothing, no readings. Went to Doran and bought the extension antenna ($99?) and rigged it on a home made bracket just inside the rear window of the new truck. BINGO. All systems go, and have remained so for many, many miles. No more false alarms.

That said, ours are only about two years old at this point, so the issue about battery life, etc. is still to be faced. Like Gene and dzn I'll probably take tools to them if/when they seem to be failing to see what's in there.
Ya always gotta see what's in there, don't 'cha. Been a problem of mine since childhood. I also have had zero problems with my Doran....but like you, it's been two full towing seasons only.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ya always gotta see what's in there, don't 'cha. Been a problem of mine since childhood.
Me too, but getting then back together is the problem.

Gene
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Me too, but getting then back together is the problem.

Gene
Oh, Gene...that is soooo funny to me. I used to grab things I was curious about, as a child, disassemble them and hide them.....like Mom and Dad wouldn't notice. They always did.

It wasn't until I was 19 that they figured out that my path wasn't books (except service manuals, National Geographic and encyclopedias), or teaching, or anything not to do with my hands or how stuff works. They eventually figured it out (after I did) and all is good now. I got in so much trouble though.

Tags
doran, pressure, sensors, tire, tire pressure