Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
All the DOT tire plant codes...

Oh goody. Here's my tires birthplace... CARLISLE TIRE & RUBBER CO., LTD --> BU JI TOWN --> SHENZHEN --> CHINA

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #22

2009 19' International
LA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD View Post
A question I've researched but can't find an answer to. Looking at Maxxis trailer tires, they offer three options (ST225/75R 15)

6 ply Load Range C 2150 pounds @ 50 PSI
8 ply Load Range D 2150 pounds @ 50 PSI 2540 pounds @ 65 PSI
10 ply Load Range E 2150 pounds @ 50 PSI 2540 pounds @ 65 PSI 2830 pounds @ 80 PSI

For my trailer I would need the 2150 @ 50 PSI - would buying the tires with more plies give me more protection against the 'blow out' problems that are the subject of so many other threads? Or is blow out not related to the number of plies and max load rating? My present wheels will 'take' 65 PSI, so I could go with the Load Range D or E tires & the higher PSI, if that helped the problem. My inclination is to go with the D tires and run them at 50 PSI - is this the right way to go? The two extra plies over the C tires would give me some safety margin against a blow out?

Thanks in advance for your opinions & info?
Yeah! If you are going with 2150 then your problem with be solved. I am not sure but I think.
samabhi125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #23
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
It's funny how we can exalt 454 cubic inches of self indulgence and belittle 47 mpg of frugal. That's curb appeal without character in some books.
What I can't get over is the goofs who buy 6000 pound 454 cu in vehicles and complain about the mileage. Duh, what did they think?

Amazing some people. I feel like asking if they are stupid.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Carlisle radial trails ST225/75 R15 Load E 2830LB's @ 80psi.
Thanks Vinnie
I just ordered the exact same tires (2) for my single axle '64 Safari. I will plan to run them at 65 or 70 psi. I will certainly report how they perform. At Discount Tire the Maxxis version was $30 more per tire.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
I just ordered the exact same tires (2) for my single axle '64 Safari. I will plan to run them at 65 or 70 psi. I will certainly report how they perform. At Discount Tire the Maxxis version was $30 more per tire.
If you have steel wheels that have been in service for an extended period of time, you must replace them when you increase the tire load range.

If not, they will split around the inner circumference, as per wheel manufacturers warnings.

That can happen going from "C's" to "D's" as well as going from "D's" to "E's".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
If you have steel wheels that have been in service for an extended period of time, you must replace them when you increase the tire load range.

If not, they will split around the inner circumference, as per wheel manufacturers warnings.

That can happen going from "C's" to "D's" as well as going from "D's" to "E's".

Andy
Good to know, and I should have stated that I also ordered new Aluminum Wheels, also rated for 2800# each.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Good to know, and I should have stated that I also ordered new Aluminum Wheels, also rated for 2800# each.
Good, now that worry is over, but "E's" are not recommended by Airstream.

Also, you should probably install the wheel balancers, since next to no one can balance the tire, wheel hub and drum, as an assembly.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
I am very happy with these tires so far. We are staying in Grand Canyon right now and have traveled some rough road at high temperatures. I set the cold tire pressure to 65lbs. On the hottest part of the trip when i pulled over at a rest stop i checked the pressures and they were 71psi. So when they heated up they increased by 6 psi. I purposly put a few things on the counters while traveling and to my amazement they rode right where they sat. These trailers are amazing how they ride. There was a crazy section of I-40 that had rolling dips on the road. The sign warned of it but I had no idea it would be as bad as it was. I expected to find everything on the floor when we stopped but it was all intact and in good order. Even though the tires are load range E the trailer is heavy and I think they suit my application well. I hope they work well for you too.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote