Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Discount tire certificate question.

Looking at Discount tire's web site to price out 4 new tires for AS. GYM's are about $20 per tire less expensive than Carlisle. I didn't expect that after reading these forums.
My question is this, has anyone purchased the certificate for repair, replacement or refund when buying tires at Discount Tire? If so, and you've had to use it, was it worth the extra $15 per tire?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Out here in Arizona where the roads get awful hot, tread separation on my pickup tires often starts happen after 3-4 years. I had one pickup for 10 years, and never had to buy a new tire after the first set. Discount tire never gave me any trouble replacing tires. I consider the certificates an excellent value.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Just take the tire and throw it through their plate glass window like the TV commercial.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I get the certificates when I buy my tires. It has worked out in my favor over the years.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Thanks for the opinions. I'm not familiar with Discount Tire and never heard of them until reading the posts here. Don't remember ever seeing a TV commercial for them either. The certificate sounded like a good idea, even though I usually don't buy service plans, etc. Now I'm thinking I may even get new tires for the TV there as well, with the certificates..
Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Discount Tire is not everywhere, but they are very well established in the Southwestern US. I have been dealing with them for a very long time and my wife's car, my truck and the Airstream all have tires from Discount Tire.

Last year I discovered a bad tire when I setup my trailer in Colorado Springs. I called ahead to a store in Fort Collins and had a replacement waiting for me. I could have had it replaced in Colorado Springs, but decided to get to my destination on the spare instead. They were not able to match the brand but did match the type and size. When I returned home to Phoenix, I had that tire replaced to match the others.

Here is the commercial that Lumatic mentioned in his post:

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
That's a funny commercial!

Discount Tire does have a store in Madison, WI. It's about fifty miles from us and on the other side of the city.

When I pulled the AS home I was very careful because the tires are pretty old. It had been parked for six years in a campground and who knows how old the tires are. So, I'm not going to pull the AS to the tire shop on Madison's raggedy streets, just taking the old tires and rims in for mounting and balancing. The next trip for the AS will be to a dealer to have new axles installed, so I'm not going to bother with the hub/wheel balance at this point. Or if we decide to make at least one short weekend trip with it this fall the dealer trip may be second.....