Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Disappointed With Wheel Alignment by North Dallas RV

After purchasing our current trailer used, I took it to North Dallas RV for a wheel alignment. They found one wheel, the curb side front, with inadequate toe in, and adjusted.

After the alignment, I replaced the tires with Maxxis ST D rated tires, early summer '09.

A couple of weeks ago while in Anchorage, AK, I noticed the road side rear tire was almost gone due to tread wear, to the point that the wear indicator bars were showing on the outer half of the tread. Also, all other tires are wearing and showing a feathered wear pattern as if the toe-in is too great. I replaced the most worn tire, and rotated the other tires, and hopefully they will make it for a while, but at best, will need replacement when we get home.

I've recalled all trips made on these tires date, and they have 15,900 miles +.- on them. This seems like premature wear for a steel belted radial tire to me.

How many miles do you get on your trailer tires?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
...How many miles do you get on your trailer tires?
many hIgh milage reports 4 reading here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If your axles are still good i would go to another place and get it checked and realigned if needed.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Steve,

The problem appears to not be how much wear an ST tire gets, but given your report of the unusual wear patterns, it seems to be in the balancing or suspension adjustments.

We must have crossed paths somewhere while you were going to Anchorage and we were returning from Alaska. Sorry we didn't connect.

There's an Airstream owner in Eagle Plains, a suburb of Anchorage. Maybe you can find him via the Forum and he can recommend a good RV shop there. But maybe you are somewhere else by now.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Gene,

We are in Montana, seeing the sights of Glacier Nat. Park, and generally on our way home. When we were in Anchorage, you were down off the Valdez highway. We had very limmited and sporatic wi-fi service in Alaska and the highway.

We did go down to Haines, took the ferry with truck and trailer to Skagway, and then back up towards Whitehorse. Personally, I was not too impressed with either town (mostly touresty), but the scenery of both drives was worth the trip.

The "unusual wear" is not due to a ballance condition or any thing else other than too much toe-in. They are feathered from outside tread rib to the inside, and not cupped, or any other irregularity. It just irks me when I pay good money, and go out of my way to get a service done, and it's not done right.

If anyone has information of where to get alignment work done correctly in Texas, I would appreciate knowing.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I can't help you with a good Texas shop, but I am surprised that North Dallas RV thought that they were up to the task.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I've had good luck with Bob Jones RV here in Houston. They just did my Axles, shocks on my 72. Put 4655 miles on it going to Yellowstone.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I can't help you with a good Texas shop, but I am surprised that North Dallas RV thought that they were up to the task.
They said they could do it, and were actually recomended by the Airsteam service dept.

When they did the alignment, they told me the tires needed "a little toe-in", and set them to their "specs", but they obviously have to much toe-in, if the tires are worn out in 15K miles.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Now in Colorado on the way home, and probably have another 1,000 miles on the tires since my first post on this subject, and the two tires on the curb side, which are the worst, now have the wear bars showing.

I was hoping to make it home where I'd have some options on the purchase of new tires.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve, Discount Tire has stores in Grand Junction and Denver and surely other cities. The Grand Jct. store has poor RV access and a call to them beforehand to see if they can clear some space next to the store would be a good idea.

Gene
Old 07-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Steve, Discount Tire has stores in Grand Junction and Denver and surely other cities. The Grand Jct. store has poor RV access and a call to them beforehand to see if they can clear some space next to the store would be a good idea.

Gene
Thanks Gene, but can't make either location now. We've traveled down thru the center of the state viewing the mountains, and are at Antonito for the night. (wanted to stay in the high country as long as possible to stay cool as long as possible.)

The tires seem to be holding their own, and I'll take a look tomorrow when we get to Santa Fe, and make the decision at that time.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Green pork chile alert . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
. . . We've traveled down thru the center of the state viewing the mountains, and are at Antonito for the night. (wanted to stay in the high country as long as possible to stay cool as long as possible.)
Hi Steve:

I don't remember its name, but the Mexican restaurant that is immediately north of its large adjacent bar room on the west side of the main street near the center of Antonito has excellent green pork chile! It's superb over their chicken enchaladas. If you've already had supper, get a breakfast burrito there or some green chile to go. Enjoy Colorado!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi Steve:

I don't remember its name, but the Mexican restaurant that is immediately north of its large adjacent bar room on the west side of the main street near the center of Antonito has excellent green pork chile! It's superb over their chicken enchaladas. If you've already had supper, get a breakfast burrito there or some green chile to go. Enjoy Colorado!
Thanks Fred, but just read your post, Tuesday AM, and we're hitting the road again this morning. I'll try to remember this if I'm ever in this area again.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The best alignment shop in Dallas is Garland Safety Lane. I'd take their advice -- if they're willing to give it -- on whom to take that trailer. In the meantime, take your TV and other vehicles there. I've used other shops (in a lifetime there), and there is no one better. No one.

(While you're over there, stop in at ROHDE'S Nursery. Greg is impressive for what he knows, and what he offers).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve,

Good to hear the tires are still rolling. If you are stopping in Santa Fe, I believe there's a Discount Tire on Cerrillos Rd. If you've stopped, you are probably at a campground, but if you see this earlier, Trailer Ranch on Cerrillos is the best we've found there.

Gene
Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Well, I kept looking at the tires, and they kept looking the same, so we came on home. The tires made it fine, but they are worn out. The two on the curb side are worn to the wear indicator bars on the out side treads. The trip total was 14,745 miles, and we are tired. Best I can figure, the tires have a total of 19 K +,- miles.

Now comes the decision of what to do about the alignment.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ask the bigger RV dealers what big truck shop they send their work to. As torsion axles are used on other trailers -- construction, dump, enclosed, cargo -- maybe a trailer dealer of that sort would be good.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve, glad to see you got home safely. We "only" drove 10,200 miles on our trip and we are still exhausted, so you may have to take a vacation.

Gene