Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
Dill TPMS

I am considering installing the Dill TPMS on our Airstream. I like having the transmitter inside the tire, not on the end of the valve stem. I would like to hear from Airstream owners that have installed the Dill TPMS. Do you like the system, if not why? Did you have to use the external antenna? If you have aluminum wheels, are the valve stems to long or to short? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I installed the Dill TPMS on my aluminum rims 6 months ago. Valve stems are long enough. The system seems to be reliable and I do not have to stop and check the tires as frequently.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I had the Dill TPMS system installed on my AS today. I ordered the unit from Tire Rack. I spoke directly to Dill before I purchased the system. It appears to be a good system that uses sensors that are mounted inside the wheels similar to the system in automobiles. It measures pressure and temperature for each wheel. It identifies the wheel by location and you calibrate the system for the normal cold inflation pressure for your tires. The system was $239 plus shipping. Installation with re-balancing the wheels was $26.

I am looking forward to the peace of mind I think TPMS will give me while towing our AS.

We are taking a trip to Florida soon. I report back on how the system works on the trip.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
See post 42 in link below

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
I am considering installing the Dill TPMS on our Airstream. I like having the transmitter inside the tire, not on the end of the valve stem. I would like to hear from Airstream owners that have installed the Dill TPMS. Do you like the system, if not why? Did you have to use the external antenna? If you have aluminum wheels, are the valve stems to long or to short? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our experience has been positive with the Dill system. See link below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ems-62214.html
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I had the Dill TPMS system installed on my AS today. I ordered the unit from Tire Rack. I spoke directly to Dill before I purchased the system. It appears to be a good system that uses sensors that are mounted inside the wheels similar to the system in automobiles. It measures pressure and temperature for each wheel. It identifies the wheel by location and you calibrate the system for the normal cold inflation pressure for your tires. The system was $239 plus shipping. Installation with re-balancing the wheels was $26.

I am looking forward to the peace of mind I think TPMS will give me while towing our AS.

We are taking a trip to Florida soon. I report back on how the system works on the trip.
Wow, the price you got on installing the four (I assume four) sensors was pretty terrific. I have them in my corvette and I think I was charged about $12-15 a wheel for the installation (standard in our part of the world).....without re balancing. Great deal. Do you need to use any external device the "Learn" the sensors if you move them to a new position (as in rotating tires)? I have to with the Corvette sensors. A dealer can "teach" the sensors but there is usually a charge.
I bought the screw on sensors as I have two trailers and I can move them from trailer to trailer.
I will be testing mine out on a trip to Florida in February.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTurnConn View Post
Wow, the price you got on installing the four (I assume four) sensors was pretty terrific. I have them in my corvette and I think I was charged about $12-15 a wheel for the installation (standard in our part of the world).....without re balancing. Great deal. Do you need to use any external device the "Learn" the sensors if you move them to a new position (as in rotating tires)? I have to with the Corvette sensors. A dealer can "teach" the sensors but there is usually a charge.
I bought the screw on sensors as I have two trailers and I can move them from trailer to trailer.
I will be testing mine out on a trip to Florida in February.
I live in a very rural area with a small shop that does good work for a low charge. I feel blessed to have this shop close to home.

With the Dill system, when you rotate the wheels you rotate the "chips" in the display.

I am able to program wheel positions for my 2010 GM truck myself. It is an easy process. I would assume you should be able to use a similar process on your Corvette.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I live in a very rural area with a small shop that does good work for a low charge. I feel blessed to have this shop close to home.

With the Dill system, when you rotate the wheels you rotate the "chips" in the display.

I am able to program wheel positions for my 2010 GM truck myself. It is an easy process. I would assume you should be able to use a similar process on your Corvette.
I "learn" each wheel using a device that connects it to the computer. They won't reset just by driving it, you get a lo pressure reading.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
These work great without problems so far.I did use the included antenna in my 2010 F150 Supercrew.I bought mine on Tire rack they were reasonable.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Valve stems are perfect length and well made also....
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dill TPMS Failure

I recently had installed a new set of tires on our AS. On the first tire removed and broken down, the tire guy found the Dill transmitter, a washer, and a broken retainer screw loose inside the tire. The other three tires were fine.

The tire guy knew that the tire contained a Dill transmitter, and I did not see any obvious marks on the transmitter that would indicate that the tire machine might make if it struck the transmitter during breakdown of the tire.

The small retainer screw appears to have failed. When I replace the transmitter assembly next week, I will examine the valve stem (currently still in the tire) to see if I can tell what might have happened.

I did the install of the transmitters (on 05/04/2010) in each of the four rims and used a torque wrench on the retainer screws. At this point, I have no idea as to what might have caused this failure. Nor do I know when the failure occurred, as the transmitter continued to work normally as it swam around inside the tire.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
I have a Dill TPMS installed on my 20 foot Airstream, and have used it for the last two year. I am very pleased with the way it works. Like yourself I prefer the internal transmitters because they may give a more accurate internal tire temperature. When I installed the receiver on the windshield of my pickup truck using the original antenna the distance to the transmitters was about 31 feet.. On some occasions picking up the signal was a bit slow. I contacted Dill with the intention of buying an extension for the external antenna, they sent me one for free. I have a cap installed on my truck and by mounting the external antenna on the top inside back edge I reduced the antenna distance by about half.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dill TPMS Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
These work great without problems so far.I did use the included antenna in my 2010 F150 Supercrew.I bought mine on Tire rack they were reasonable.
After a little over three years of trouble-free use, my Dill TPMS system has developed an issue. The problem began when I replaced all four tires on the trailer and found one of the transmitters had broken loose inside of the tire (right rear tire if it matters).

I purchased a replacement transmitter and chip, and I installed them in the right rear tire. Since then, I have not been able to get the system to work properly. The system will not recognize all four tires. Dill has been working with me to diagnose the problem, and sent me a replacement transmitter and chip at no cost for the right rear tire.

When I installed the new tires, I went from a load range "D" tire to a load range "E" tire. This raised my cold inflation tire pressure from 65 psig to 75 psig. This is where I first noticed the problem. I was unable to get the system to recognize the new base line pressure.

Has anyone else with a Dill TPMS system encountered any problems?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
When I installed the new tires, I went from a load range "D" tire to a load range "E" tire. This raised my cold inflation tire pressure from 65 psig to 75 psig. This is where I first noticed the problem. I was unable to get the system to recognize the new base line pressure.
I have had the Dill TPMS installed on my Load Range E Michelin 16" MS2 tires for about 4 months and about 2000 miles. Works great and no problems to date.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Hello the Dill system I have is a little more involved,It is a # 1509 (8) Chanel system my trailer has (3) axles so (6) tires and a spare with sensor inside. I also had to use the external antenna and a booster mounted on the center trailer axle because of the overall length of truck and trailer a good 60'. My main display on the control head went blank so I called Dill and sent my control head to them to test it they sent me a new control head free of charge and swapped over my sensor chips to the same location that was on the old head but I had to set the base line pressure, The procedure is not that hard but you have to have your book so you do the right sequence. I had to repeat this 4 or 5 times. The alarm will keep going off and show which tires are not at the correct pressure until you fix the problem. If you are not getting any signal from a individual sensor, the sensor could be bad or the configuration of your control head set-up for the position of your chips my be wrong. I don't no which model you have but this could be a possibility.
Your cold tire pressures can-not be to far apart from each other. Or it will make the alam sound. The people from Dill will help you fix your problem, they have always answered any question I have asked them,hope this helps.
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dill System Now Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
After a little over three years of trouble-free use, my Dill TPMS system has developed an issue. The problem began when I replaced all four tires on the trailer and found one of the transmitters had broken loose inside of the tire (right rear tire if it matters).

I purchased a replacement transmitter and chip, and I installed them in the right rear tire. Since then, I have not been able to get the system to work properly. The system will not recognize all four tires. Dill has been working with me to diagnose the problem, and sent me a replacement transmitter and chip at no cost for the right rear tire.

Has anyone else with a Dill TPMS system encountered any problems?
After replacing the suspect transmitter and associated chip for the right rear tire on the trailer, the system did not want to recognize the new cold inflation pressure. After further discussions with Mike Newton at Dill, he suggested that I remove the extension antenna from the rear window of the crew cab truck and run the antenna below the truck to get the antenna as close to the trailer as possible. When removing the antenna from the rear of the display in the truck, I discovered that the antenna core wire was defective. Mike sent me a replacement antenna at no costs to me. I installed the new antenna and all now works as it should.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
I recently had installed a new set of tires on our AS. On the first tire removed and broken down, the tire guy found the Dill transmitter, a washer, and a broken retainer screw loose inside the tire. The other three tires were fine.

The tire guy knew that the tire contained a Dill transmitter, and I did not see any obvious marks on the transmitter that would indicate that the tire machine might make if it struck the transmitter during breakdown of the tire.

The small retainer screw appears to have failed. When I replace the transmitter assembly next week, I will examine the valve stem (currently still in the tire) to see if I can tell what might have happened.

I did the install of the transmitters (on 05/04/2010) in each of the four rims and used a torque wrench on the retainer screws. At this point, I have no idea as to what might have caused this failure. Nor do I know when the failure occurred, as the transmitter continued to work normally as it swam around inside the tire.
Do you mean you used a torque wrench on the stem retaining nut? and the "screw" that failed is the one that attached the sensor body to the stem?
I thought the screw was installed by Dill.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The manual that came with my system indicates that the transmitter is installed to the stem after the stem is installed into the rim, and the screw that holds the transmitter on is supposed to be torqued to some small number of inch-pounds, but I don't remember the level.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tireman9,

I had a transmitter break off early in my 1st set of Dills. Dill was gracious and supplied a new transmitter and chip. Took it back to tire shop, I think it was over tightened. The shop mgr. mounted the new unit, carefully torqued with a 1/4" drive torque wrench end of story. Dill IIRC did make some comments about proper torque.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Tireman9,

I had a transmitter break off early in my 1st set of Dills. Dill was gracious and supplied a new transmitter and chip. Took it back to tire shop, I think it was over tightened. The shop mgr. mounted the new unit, carefully torqued with a 1/4" drive torque wrench end of story. Dill IIRC did make some comments about proper torque.

Gary
Ya the torque spec on the aluminum stems is very critical and an IN-OZ torque wrench is the only way to get it right. Brass is a bit higher but still need proper tool. Sadly many do not have an IN-QZ torque wrench and the "clicker" from HF is not accurate enough based on my testing.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Do you mean you used a torque wrench on the stem retaining nut? and the "screw" that failed is the one that attached the sensor body to the stem?
I thought the screw was installed by Dill.
The installer has to torque both the stem and the screw mentioned above.