Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 26' Overlander
Edgewood , New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 26
Different sized tires front and rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
A lot of Airstreamers have switched to Maxxis tires. You don't need more than a D load Range...
Thanks for the info CA Streamer!

I have a couple questions. I'm looking at their website for 225 75 R15's for my '65 Overlander. They offer 8-ply and 10-ply for this, but don't indicate load rating. Here are my questions:

1.) Is the 8-ply equivalent to a D-rating and the 10-ply an E-rating?

2.) Can any 225-75-R15 D-rated automotive tires be used? I ask because walmart has a variety in that range.

3.) Finally, currently on my trailer, the rear tires are 225's and the front are 205's. Is this a normal thing, or a fluke? (the original owner towed her with a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger).

Thanks in advance!
__________________

__________________
AgPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPnut View Post
Thanks for the info CA Streamer!

I have a couple questions. I'm looking at their website for 225 75 R15's for my '65 Overlander. They offer 8-ply and 10-ply for this, but don't indicate load rating. Here are my questions:

1.) Is the 8-ply equivalent to a D-rating and the 10-ply an E-rating?

2.) Can any 225-75-R15 D-rated automotive tires be used? I ask because walmart has a variety in that range.

3.) Finally, currently on my trailer, the rear tires are 225's and the front are 205's. Is this a normal thing, or a fluke? (the original owner towed her with a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger).

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes

2. Check your present tires, If they are load range "C", then you cannot change to "D". If you do, you will split every wheel. Once a wheel has been in service for an extended period of time, you cannot increase the tire load rating, since all wheel manufacturers will tell you that the wheels will split. You can down grade the tires, but you cannot upgrade on old wheels.

3. All trailer tires "must" be the same size, and at the same air pressure. If not then you place different loads on the axles that can cause handling problems, up to and including a sway.

4. Since you have a 65 trailer, you should consider replacing the wheels, if they are the originals. If you do that, then you can go to the "D" tires, if you wish. Never "E's".

Also because of different size tires, you are placing a greater load on one axle and a smaller load on the other axle. Again, that is asking for trouble.

Then if your axles are bad, and they probably are if they have not been replaced, you will moreso punish the trailer by having more weight on one axle than should be. All Airstream axles from 1974 and older, will fail, due to the wrong rubber rod composition.

Check your axles out to make sure that they are ok. The following article will teach you how.

http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/dur...xle-92001.html

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 26' Overlander
Edgewood , New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
2. Check your present tires, If they are load range "C", then you cannot change to "D". If you do, you will split every wheel. Once a wheel has been in service for an extended period of time, you cannot increase the tire load rating, since all wheel manufacturers will tell you that the wheels will split. You can down grade the tires, but you cannot upgrade on old wheels.
Thank you Andy.

I just checked the tires. The rear ones Are Load Rating C. These are the 225's. The front say 1742-lb, which I assume is a Load Rating C as well. They are the 215's.

As far as load rating C, These unfortunately appear to be unavailable from Maxxis, however these can be had in automotive tires at WalMart--will these have the same lateral load capability as trailer tires? If not, does anyone have any recommendations on tires aside from the Goodyear Marathons?

Since there is no spare, I need to order at least one wheel--I notice you have them on special right now.

I'll check into the axles and your article.

Thanks again!
__________________
AgPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 26' Overlander
Edgewood , New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 26
Andy,
One other question--should the axles be alright, how much for replacement drum assemblies? (It's raining here & the A-S is up on jacks with the wheels off the ground, so I haven't checked the axles)

-JP
__________________
AgPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Full Timers/Diesel power.
 
Mike Leary's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,540
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPnut View Post
Andy,
One other question--should the axles be alright, how much for replacement drum assemblies? (It's raining here & the A-S is up on jacks with the wheels off the ground, so I haven't checked the axles)

-JP
Having owned four Airstream trailers + two mo/hos, I'd say go through the
entire suspension system..do it right once and for all.
__________________
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 26' Overlander
Edgewood , New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Having owned four Airstream trailers + two mo/hos, I'd say go through the
entire suspension system..do it right once and for all.
The more I have been thinking about, and going through the other portions of the Airstream, the more I come to the same conclusion--Especially considering the condition of the other items.

That said, do you have any suggestions on shocks?
__________________
AgPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPnut View Post
The more I have been thinking about, and going through the other portions of the Airstream, the more I come to the same conclusion--Especially considering the condition of the other items.

That said, do you have any suggestions on shocks?
You can get replacement shocks at NAPA stores.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1965 26' Overlander
Edgewood , New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 26
I think I've got it taken care of. I went ahead and ordered a pair of new 3000-lb axle/brake assemblies as well as shocks and a Prodigy P3 controller for the brakes. It was a big dent to the wallet, but should provide a sound foundation for the trailer. I ordered some Goodyear marathons as well--and based on what I've read regarding tires, I'll make sure I get walmart's warantees on them!
__________________
AgPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
63Silver's Avatar
 
1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 406
Images: 43
agPnut,
Which axle did you go with Dexter or Heschen? The Marathons you purchased at Walmart, are they trailer tires or just car tires?

63silver
__________________
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
agPnut,
Which axle did you go with Dexter or Heschen? The Marathons you purchased at Walmart, are they trailer tires or just car tires?

63silver
You must not ever use auto tires on a tandem trailer.

The first or second tight turn you make, will typically damage the sidewalls.

Auto tires are not intended to take twists that occur when you make tight turns.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
agPnut,
Which axle did you go with Dexter or Heschen? The Marathons you purchased at Walmart, are they trailer tires or just car tires?

63silver
He purchased 2 complete Henschen axles rated at 3200 pounds each.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,813
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
2. Check your present tires, If they are load range "C", then you cannot change to "D". If you do, you will split every wheel. Once a wheel has been in service for an extended period of time, you cannot increase the tire load rating, since all wheel manufacturers will tell you that the wheels will split. You can down grade the tires, but you cannot upgrade on old wheels.
Andy
Andy

Would you please back up this statement with some documentation from a wheel or tire manufacture.

Yes there are limitations for tire widths to rim widths but I have never heard of a limitation for tire ratings on a given wheel.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Andy

Would you please back up this statement with some documentation from a wheel or tire manufacture.

Yes there are limitations for tire widths to rim widths but I have never heard of a limitation for tire ratings on a given wheel.
Unfortunately, I do not have the time, to provide documentation everytime someone asks for it. There are many owners out there that have tons of time to do that kind of research.

The wheel failure problem has been going on, that I know of, for over 40 years.

If someone doesn't believe me, that's certainly their choice to make, in what ever the subject maybe. My information, that I chose to share, is based on experience and/or facts. I don't have time to dream up stories, or to publish nonsense.

They will be the one inconvenienced, not me.

The last person that didn't want to listen to facts, but had his own opinion, bought 3 new wheels, between Corona California and Phoenix Arizona, because the wheels split, since he put "E" tires on old wheels that always had "C" tires, in spite of the fact, that "he was warned."

He called us and was apologetic, stating that he "should of listened to facts."

And so it is.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Andy

Would you please back up this statement with some documentation from a wheel or tire manufacture.

Yes there are limitations for tire widths to rim widths but I have never heard of a limitation for tire ratings on a given wheel.
I have had several wheels that could only use a C rated tire, because the wheel clearly states "maximum inflation 35 psi", or "maximum inflation 50psi" That is load range B and C respectively.
The older wheels such as found on 1960's and 1970's era trailers did not have this stamped on the wheel, making it a guessing game as to which you have. It is better to err on the side of caution, and only re-install what is currently on the wheels, or replace them with wheels that have the weight and pressure capacities stamped on them.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TV front tires Cracker Tow Vehicles 4 09-18-2006 06:51 PM
Wrap around windows - front and rear? SilverToy Off Topic Forum 5 11-02-2005 12:55 AM
No Ribs in front & rear??? BornToRock Ribs, Skins & Rivets 0 08-28-2005 10:20 AM
front suspension, tires, shocks... mwendell Airstream Motorhome Forums 9 03-12-2003 06:26 PM
Wider front wheels and tires CBBOB Airstream Motorhome Forums 7 02-13-2003 09:20 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.