Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Kenton , Ohio
Difference Michelin MS/2 or MS

What is the difference between the Michelin LTX MS/2 and the LTX MS? I am converting to 16 inch rims tires. Just black wall and OWL. The warrenty looked a little different between the two.
Thanks
Terry
Wiremanranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I thought it was just a tread pattern difference, with the MS/2 being a traction improvement. Since I don't think traction is an issue (to the extent of a TV), I chose the MS, as they cost less.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
LTX M/S2 is newer version of M/S, and the M/S2 is designed as a LRR (low rolling resistance), fuel-saving tire. Tread design is essentially the same, but tread compound and construction is advertised to be slightly different. Considering fuel consumption of most TVs, a LRR tire will probably not save a significant amount of fuel, compared to just driving slower.

Neither tire will probably wear out on an Airstream, unless you are a road warrior; so I would personally buy the cheaper tire. However, insure that the maximum inflation pressure printed on the sidewall is 80 psi, which indicates it is an LT tire. If the sidewall indicates 44 or 50 psi max, it is a passenger car tire.

If you have 16-inch wheels, for the extra cost, the LT tire will have heavier construction, including a third steel belt under the tread, and a 7-800 pound higher load rating.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote