Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #29

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's an article that will get you through the tire coding. Note that as 2air said, the ST tires are not speed rated so this will only help on those tires which are speed rated.
Tires 101: What Your Tire's Markings Tell You - Cars.com

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
...I have one question on the Tire Code tread you noted....I could not find an explanation on that page as to where that code is shown now.
hi howie

info is HERE along with other good bits

Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

basically the speed rating for tires that HAVE a speed rating is NOW listed AFTER the size info, and along with service/load info...

for example a 255/40R17 94Z tire has a load index of 94 and speed rating of Z. ( check the table for what 94 and Z represent )

the R buried inside the size info stands for RADIAL contruction

so gyms have this R for radial (225/75R15) and a LOAD RANGE (c or d or e) but NO speed rating letter/designation.

Currently Available Prices and Sizes

one interesting deviation is THIS tire which is apparently a 'euro towing' tire with either Q (99mph) or R(106) speed ratings, but only available as a 14 inch.

Currently Available Prices and Sizes

i've not seen that tire first hand and wonder IF it carries the ST symbol on the sidewall.

still it MIGHT be a useful replacement for 14s and an alternative to the gyms in 14.

folks DO use many other types of tires for towing besides the ST models and with a WIDE range of outcomes...

but any of those tires will conform to the RMA /UTQG /service-speed labeling IF they are P or LT tires...

and bias tires or LT tires fail too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...art-25929.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
OK so we know your two opinions and they don't mesh. Unless either one of you are going to present new data, please do not make statements about how the other is wrong. Or any other type of judgements.Action
The 2 original posters have stepped aside and others have offered comments that may resolve the question.

The issue of tires is probably the single most important subject that could be discussed here. There are a significant number of RV, including Airstreamers that have no idea of how to manage their tires as far as selection, load, and pressure, removing comments that are supported by manufactures and government standards is not a way to resolve this issue.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I have E's on mine I run at 65 PSI. I made the error of mentioning to my dad I was going to replace tires, so he did me a favor......

He had taken his 5th wheel in and thought he'd just pick me up a set. He was tickled and said the rep where he bought them said that was what I needed. I didn't have the heart not to use them, so.......When I replace these, it will be D's....which I wanted originally.

I didn't mention where he got them on purpose, lol, it was a local non chain tire store.

Al
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
I have E's on mine I run at 65 PSI.
Al
I am assuming you have 235 15s on the trailer. Unless your trailer weights 9,340 lbs you are slightly overinflated.

Check the inflation charts.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
You got me thinking, so I went and checked, they are at 60. I hated running them too far under the recommended pressure, but definitely not running 80 in them. I can tell the difference in the harder ride as it is. I have a little over 3k on them so far....been thinking about moving them to my work trailer and getting what I want for Christine.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
ROBERT SUNRUS, your tires are Speed Rated at 110T or a Speed Rating of 118 MPH according to the web site noted above.
Why are you wasting your money on those tires or do you drive the unhooked tow vehicles a 100 MPH?
There are tires available with a Speed Rating of K ( 68 MPH) and L (75 MPH) which according to your arguments would serve you just fine and are probably cheaper.
Beginner
Hi, Beginner. I understand where you are coming from, but heres my explaination.

(1.) I bought my Lincoln with 16,800 miles on it while it was three years old. My Lincoln originally came with Continentals on it.

(2.) Further investigating, I discovered that the Continentals that were on my Lincoln were recall replacements. Continental had separation issues.

(3.) I was getting ready for another trip, when I noticed the Continentals had cracks on the sidewall. The Continental factory rep was there that day, but was wishy washy when it came time for him to decide if they would warranty my tires.

(4.) I have always preferred Michellins and Goodyear tires; I bought the correct tires for my Lincoln in Goodyear because I didn't like the tread design on the same size Michellin. Price wasn't the issue. I bought the best our dealer had in Goodyear.

(5.) The Goodyear tires were the same specs as the Continentals and specs by Ford. I don't know for a fact that my Lincoln will go over 100 MPH due to electronic governor. I have driven it up to 80MPH and that is the fastest I plan to go, but never while towing my trailer. This is my everday car.

(6.) Like wise with my trailer; I tow it with the tires it came with. I Didn't like the looks of two of my Marathons, so I replaced them with two new Marathons. I haven't had any flats or separations yet so I will continue to tow them at 65/65. [65 lbs cold / 65 MPH]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote