Old 04-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 15" SenDel T03-56545T wheel has the bolt circle and five lug holes used on the 10" brake drums with 14" tires from Airstream on the 23D and 23FB. I used the original metal center cap from the factory wheels in the new SenDel wheels.

http://www.sendelwheel.com/wheels/t03sm

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #16

2014 19' Flying Cloud
fullerton , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470679891.451688.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	268561
We had blowout Saturday 8/6 there are no "D" rated tires available for our 14" rims. Our 23d has extensive damage. We are currently in Lassen National Forest. New rims 15" E rated tires are being shipped from OC to Oregon airstream dealer who will install on our 23d after bending outrigger so we can continue on our vacation. Our tire was 2 years old with 15,600 miles.
Load range "C" is not a good choice for Airstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
If you go with 205/75R14 Carlisle make a radial trail hd tire with a d load rating. Thats what im going to use on my other trailer.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Marathon 14" tires... they will COST you one day

If anyone has an interest, email me for a photograph of my first 14" Marathon C Rated tire blowout on my 2006 Safari. I was on a dirt road and noticed a lot of dust from my towing. When I stopped one tire only had the side walls attached to the rim. boondockingairstream@gmail.com

Anyone who insists that a 14" (FOURTEEN INCH) Marathon is OK, that makes Switz and my responses of real experiences, pure fiction to some.

Many who respond that their Marathons are dependable... FIFTEEN INCH D Rated tires with six lug wheels. I had no issue with the 15" tires... but did not take any chances, either.

The 14" Marathons are trash. If any fail... they will say you were speeding, over loaded, hit objects in the road, hit curbs on purpose, ran them under or over pressure... so you have to purchase a NEW 14" Marathon.

Fourteen Inch C Rated Maxxis and Tow Max did hold up for me. Had I known several years ago about Switz Post #15 before I sold my 23 Safari, I may still own it today. Absolutely the perfect size trailer for getting around... except the Marathon 14" tires and the five lug Dexter Axle leaves few options for tires, other than buying 15".

Within the last 12 months... there are clear options to Airstream tires and wheels. I understand, from hearsay, that the NEW 23 footers are now 15". Not confirmed... but hope that is true. I would wager the wheels are five lug to fit the lighter Dexter Axle...

Solution: Sendel 15" wheels and 15" Michelins.

People towing flat bed trailers will purchase your set of five 14" wheels and what is left of your Marathon tires.

I even upgraded my 2014 Airstream International to 16" Sendel wheels and E Rated Michelin LTX tires. If you are concerned with COST... oh... you will, when you get the bill to repair the fender well and skin of your Airstream!

I was lucky with my blowout. No damage to wheel or my trailer. Ran the spare far enough to Salt Lake City and Schwab for Maxxis.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #19
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just an FYI:

I hope everyone realizes that tires can get punctured and unless it is noticed immediately, the tire will get further damage while running underinflated/flat. It is quite possible that chickvisnic's tire was a puncture. It shows signs of having damage caused by running underinflated/flat.

I also hope everyone realizes that punctures are random events - that they can occur to even the best quality tires. Further, as random events they are subject to the laws of random events: They will sometimes have long spans of time between events - and sometimes the time frame is extremely short.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Tire Failures or Driver Errors?

I had rock punctures through my 14" Marathons on gravel roads. When I went into Tow Max or Maxxis... no random punctures.

I had rock punctures through my B. F. Goodrich tires that came on a 2006 Tundra. Went to Michelins... no random punctures.

My driving habits have not changed. It is the tires that I changed. I watch the unpaved roads I travel better than the asphalt and concrete highway for road hazards.

Everyone will assure you that it is the tire's fault and never their fault for tire failures. This has to be judged on an individual basis. I see plenty of curbs with rubber left on their edges... just in town.

Every fill up at a service station, I walk around tow vehicle and trailer for anything not looking right. I will touch my trailer tires for excessive heat... wheel bearing, drum brake hanging, unusual tread wear, etc.. I carry one, sometimes two digital pressure gauges.

I have never had a tire failure with my Michelin tires. I have never had a tire failure with Tow Max 14" tires. I have never had a tire failure with Maxxis 14" tires. I never had a tire failure with Marathon 15" tires, but removed them as soon as my 16" wheels and Michelin tires were ready to be mounted on my current trailer.

I can assure you that I have no reason to lie or exaggerate.

I have had tire failures with B. F. Goodrich truck tires. Goodyear Marthon 23 foot Airstream tires. I had immediate beginning tire failures of tread separations from dealer installation of three of four Hi-Run 14" trailer tires from Rawlins, Wyoming to Rock Springs, WY and replace all four newly purchased tires at Les Schwab in Salt Lake City, Utah with the Maxxis 14".

HiRun were the absolute most worthless trailer tires. Same dealership in Rock Springs... "operator running them overweight on trailer and causing tread separation"...

It is not the driver, but the tires in my case.

I have Michelin tires on my 2016 F350 Ford truck and Michelin tires now on my 2014 Airstream International. Two weeks of Wyoming will test these tires out. I will post on my 16" Michelin Tire and 16" Sendel wheel Thread ANY problems.

The next two weeks will test if the quality of Michelins on my trailer and tow vehicle are purely boasts, which I have nothing to gain... or more likely the fault of driving errors creating failures.

Yes... you can get a roof tack, nail or other sharp object to penetrate through the tread of a tire. I am only considering TIRE failures, not penetration of a sharp object that can create addition damage, if traveled while flat.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvisnic View Post
Attachment 268561
We had blowout Saturday 8/6 there are no "D" rated tires available for our 14" rims. Our 23d has extensive damage. We are currently in Lassen National Forest. New rims 15" E rated tires are being shipped from OC to Oregon airstream dealer who will install on our 23d after bending outrigger so we can continue on our vacation. Our tire was 2 years old with 15,600 miles.
Load range "C" is not a good choice for Airstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Looks like the failure might have been a Run Low Flex Failure. Would need better close up shot to be more sure. Didn't your TPMS give you a warning of air loss?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
3960# 2 axles 15"

So confused by lack of my knowledge so asking questions here. See GYM tires criticized but are mostly about 14". Are 15" more road worthy? If looking at tire load rating do you divide trailer weight by number of tires? If older trailer does C rated tire use less air pressure for softer ride versus D rated tires higher air pressure? Does traveling under 65mph solve some of the discussed issues with tire wear or failures? What does ST stand for too? Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #23
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky76Argosy View Post
So confused by lack of my knowledge so asking questions here. See GYM tires criticized but are mostly about 14". Are 15" more road worthy? .......
I don't think there is enough data to support a difference.

Quote:
........ If looking at tire load rating do you divide trailer weight by number of tires? .......
No! That does not account for side to side and front to rear weight variation. The only way to know is to weigh each tire individually or have enough data to do the math.

On the other hand, you could use an estimate - I have proposed a conservative 15% value, but I'm beginning to think 10% is more realistic.

Plus, I am of the opinion that tires shouldn't be operated at more than 85% of their rated value for the pressure.

Quote:
........ If older trailer does C rated tire use less air pressure for softer ride versus D rated tires higher air pressure? .....
The problem is about load carrying capacity, not ride quality. If it were about ride quality, trailers would have large tires inflated to less than max values.

Quote:
......... Does traveling under 65mph solve some of the discussed issues with tire wear or failures? .......
In my opinion, it solves some of the tire failure issues. Plus I don't think tire wear is an issue for trailers, except where there is misalignment.

Quote:
......... What does ST stand for too? Thanks
ST = Special Trailer
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Please explain 85 percent of their rated value for the pressure? Does that mean if at a certain pressure the chart says 2000 pounds that I should be looking at 85 percent of 2000, so I'd have to increase the pressure to compensate for the 15 percent.? Or are you referring to the load reduction for other than LT or ST tires for trailer use?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
First X2 on CapriRacer comments.

85% would be as follows:

You learn the actual load on each tire on an axle. If you can't find scales that allow that or a service that offers then IMO get the individual axle load and assume one side has 53% of the total on the axle.

Scale reading on axle might be 2,855# 53% => 1,513#

Divide 1,513 by .85 => 1,780

Look up the inflation that will support at least 1,780 and that PSI would be the MINIMUM cold inflation you would use for all tires on that axle.

NOTE:
If you can get the actual individual tire loading then you do not need to use the 53% calculation.
THIS site has a worksheet for different types of RV on how to learn the individual tire loading. Math is Math so don't get put off by the different types of RVs shown. Just find the configuration you have.

Now the question of what inflation should you run due to Interply Shear in trailer application is different than the MINIMUM you must run. Also you need to be sure you understand Cold inflation pressure
Old 08-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #26
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
As usual, Tireman9 correctly interprets things. The 85% is to allow for a 15% reserve (unused) tire capacity.

And I think this reserve capacity applies to ALL tires, not just ST's or LT's or Passenger car tires and all vehicle applications - cars, trucks, trailers garden tractor, farm tractors, earthmovers, etc. And, No!, it is not a rule or regulation. It is something that is just good engineering practice.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
FYI everyone, I replaced my 15in GYM's with Maxxis E rated before a recent 10,150 mile trip. I ran in 110 degree temp in Nevada to normal 75/85 degrees in California and other places. For the whole trip in every kind of conditions and roads, I had the tires inflated to 75psi pressure with nitrogen & had absolutely no tire problems the whole time. I try to never exceed 65mph so as not to overheat the rubber. The one thing I was negligent about was not having a TPMS installed before the trip but it will be done before my next trip.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
As usual, Tireman9 correctly interprets things. The 85% is to allow for a 15% reserve (unused) tire capacity.

And I think this reserve capacity applies to ALL tires, not just ST's or LT's or Passenger car tires and all vehicle applications - cars, trucks, trailers garden tractor, farm tractors, earthmovers, etc. And, No!, it is not a rule or regulation. It is something that is just good engineering practice.
15 percent unused tire capacity, much easier to understand. Thanks