Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Costco won't repair a trailer tire?

So, I was sufficiently annoyed that I didn't drag any further information from the hapless tech who brought my wheel and tire back to me, so I'm not sure if this is a general Costco policy or a policy of my local warehouse.

On my shakedown trip home from NJ with the new 26U, I picked up a screw somewhere in Alabama or just barely in Mississippi because during my preflight check in Toomsuba, MS Sunday morning the curbside rear was down to 31 PSI and I found this:

So, no huge deal, I just ended up an hour behind schedule once all was said and done, but I put the spare on and tossed the regular wheel and tire in the back of the truck. It's been a busy week and I just took some time out of my morning today to get the tire repaired. I took it to Costco because it's relatively close to where the trailer is stored, and I always like an excuse to shop at Costco. I dropped off the tire at the tire center and went to park the truck, and as I was walking past the tire-center doors to go to the entrance and fill out the ticket for the repair, the tech who had taken the tire from me brought it back out and said her manager told her they don't repair trailer tires. I didn't curse but I was not very nice about it, it's ridiculous and stupid. A tire is a tire from that point of view, and I'll remember this when it's time to buy tires for any vehicle. I had taken the tire to Costco in the first place because they tend to be customer-oriented and have a bit less of the stupid shenanigans many retailers build into their business process, so that push-back was extra galling.

There's a Goodyear dealer and auto center between the storage location and our house, and they were good about it and were surprised when I required that they balance the tire and wheel, saying they'd never heard of anyone refusing to balance a trailer tire and they balance everything as a matter of course.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
I don't believe Costco fixes any tire they haven't installed.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
I don't believe Costco fixes any tire they haven't installed.
This is not the case. In 2 instances over the 14 or so years I've been a Costo member I've taken vehicle tires requiring fixes that I didn't buy from them. Their policy is that for tires they didn't sell, there's a fee and I think that for ones they did sell, the repair is free. Unless I'm forgetting something, none of the tires I've bought from Costco ever required a repair.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I'd wager it's a Liability limit placed on Costco by their attorneys. I don't know but does Costco sell trailer tires? If they sell ST tires and then don't service them it makes no sense at all.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
I always travel with a tire repair kit, while glue sometimes dries up you can always find rubber cement at Walgreen's.

My advice is get a good kit and throw somewhere in the vehicle and forget about it until that fateful day. I've tried cheaper units with screwdriver form factors - junk. I've settled on Blackjack T-Bone handles - have one in truck and daily driver. I got mine from local NAPA for about $40.

http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/k...re-repair-kits
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
CostCo does not sell the "ST" type tires where I shop in Mesa, AZ. They did remove the five "ST" tires from my 2013 25FB International Serenity wheels and install the five 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires. I brought in two wheels at a time from the trailer storage unit, thus making a total of three trips. The manager knew what I was doing, but the trailer was not on premises. When I picked up a screw in the sidewall of a street side tire, I went to the parking lot across the street with the rig and removed the tire and rolled it in. Since the screw was in a bad area, a new tire was provided under the road hazard warranty. They could see the trailer across the street.

When it came time for the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires for the 2014 Classic, I ordered them at CostCo in December of 2013 and brought in the four SenDel T03-66655T aluminum wheels and one SenDel S62-66655TG galvinized steel wheel and they mounted the tires along with the Dill 1506-453 TPMS senders for me in January of 2014. Once again, they knew where the tires were going, but the trailer was not on premises.

When I went to CostCo in June of 2015 to order five more Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires for the tire and wheel upgrade from 14" to 15" for our new 2015 23D International Serenity, there was not an issue per se, but their price was substantially higher than the local Discount Tire for the same tires. So The SenDel T03-T03-56545T wheels and a generic 15"steel wheel were fitted with the Michelins and the Dill 15-6-453 TPMS senders at Discount Tire.

I drove the new tires and wheels along with all the necessary modification parts for the new, yet to be seen, 2015 23D International Serenity in a U-Haul trailer to the Airstream dealership in New Jersey. After trimming the curb side front edge wheel opening to match the street side front edge wheel opening, the 15" tires fit just fine. The 15" "ST" tires are now standard in 2017 models on the 23D series.

Discount Tire in my area has no problem with mounting the Michelins on a trailer with it parked on their lot. However, the Airstream owner must ensure the Discount Tire jacks are properly placed on the Airstream frame.

When my 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins needed new tires in 2016 (elapsed time and not tire wear), CostCo came in at a substantially higher price than Discount Tire and lacked quick availability for the Michelin LT265/70/R17E tires.

I will continue to get quotes for the Michelin tires for the two Mercedes, the Ram truck and the wife's sport car, but fact check their prices against the Discount Tire price now as well.

I have yet to receive a thank you note for buying from the more expensive vendor.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I'd wager it's a Liability limit placed on Costco by their attorneys. I don't know but does Costco sell trailer tires? If they sell ST tires and then don't service them it makes no sense at all.
COSTCO is a good place to buy tires but I do believe they are a bit liability paranoid. Years ago I had a truck with an optional factory wheel and tire package. I went in to get new tires but the size I wanted was not in their database for my truck model. Even after explaining that what I had was factory installed they wouldn't replace my tires. I went next door to Discount Tire and they had no issues with what I wanted. I was still able to walk around COSTCO while they were doing the install at Discount Tire. Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandCarol View Post
COSTCO is a good place to buy tires but I do believe they are a bit liability paranoid. Years ago I had a truck with an optional factory wheel and tire package. I went in to get new tires but the size I wanted was not in their database for my truck model. Even after explaining that what I had was factory installed they wouldn't replace my tires. I went next door to Discount Tire and they had no issues with what I wanted. I was still able to walk around COSTCO while they were doing the install at Discount Tire. Mike
Ah, the best of both worlds!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I had the same situation in Iowa. I went to Costco and they would sell me the tires, but I had to have someone else mount and install.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm not surprised that Costco wouldn't plug a tire, although that location is pretty safe (not the sidewall). I think that's the future of tire sellers. Plugs are not considered good enough. Even though many of us have used them for decades. They're worried about lawsuits.
I'd take it to an old fashioned tire shop and then keep it as a spare. They should be able to put a patch on the inside.
Bummer that it happened on the way home with a new tire.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm not surprised that Costco wouldn't plug a tire, although that location is pretty safe (not the sidewall). I think that's the future of tire sellers. Plugs are not considered good enough. Even though many of us have used them for decades. They're worried about lawsuits.
I'd take it to an old fashioned tire shop and then keep it as a spare. They should be able to put a patch on the inside.
Bummer that it happened on the way home with a new tire.
Costco *WILL* repair a non-trailer tire, at least they would in late October 2016 for one of the Michelins on my truck. In April 2017, their line is "We don't repair trailer tires." Costco last October and the Goodyear dealer yesterday both used an internal adhesive patch where a screw had penetrated well away from the sidewall. As far as I know, no one uses the plugs anymore.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
In billings,mt, Costco doves sell st tires, green ball, or is it red ball? I went through 2 sets of these, were not worth mounting even if they were free...internal patch is short lived as moisture and air gets into the cords and they will dissenigrate, with a loud bang....plugging seals it...I will stick with michelins, you always get what you pay for, there is no bargains out there.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Been a couple of years, but I bought some ST tires from Costco, and they would only install the tires on the wheels...they would not install the wheel/tire on the trailer. I had to do it myself in the parking lot. They didn't tell me this when I bought them.

I think the lazy scumbags didn't want to get out in the sun and actually do some work.

I'll never go back to Costco for tires of any kind.
A little exercise probably wouldn't hurt you? Lol....tj
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I had the same situation in Iowa. I went to Costco and they would sell me the tires, but I had to have someone else mount and install.

I go to Costco for the stuff they are good at.
I go to a tire store for tires period.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
They have a huge sign in the tire sales room that states they only work on tires they sell and install so don't get all huffy at the blokes behind the counter or lazy scum bags as you called them
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I ended up at Discount tire for purchase of tires, rims and pressure monitor. They also mounted on rims and trailer. Also had free call back to re-torque bolts.
AND THEY WERE LESS EXPENSIVE.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Anybody in Canada, (Ontario) have these issues with Costco?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
*deep sigh*

And on a tangential note unrelated to Costco... yesterday when I had the repair done at the Goodyear shop, the tech bought the tire and wheel out to the truck and I let him put it in the bed and didn't examine it closely, since I was already off schedule and needed to get started with some work. (my bad) Today when I was putting something in the bed of the truck in preparation to drive over to the trailer and swap out the tire, I noticed that their machine had chewed up the lip of my wheel pretty badly. The spare stays on for now, and I'll carry the aluminum wheel in the bed of the truck as a just-in-case spare on the trip that starts tomorrow, and when I return in a week I'll take it back by. The manager of the shop said they have a new machine and have had problems with it damaging a couple of wheels, they put a plastic guard on it while waiting for new parts from the vendor but clearly it damaged my wheel so they'll send it out for repair.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I have never done business with Costco so I can't make a comparison. I have bought all my tires from Sam's Club for the past 20 or so years except for two truck tires that were damaged by debris in the road too far from Sam's at the time. I have always had great service from them including GYM trailer tires. I let no one jack my vintage rig up so I take the old tires two at a time to them. They have a fixed fee for balancing, new stems etc. which includes road hazard, periodic rotation, rebalancing and flats fixed if fixable. The one time i needed two tires I found Discount Tire to be excellent also.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
When I buy tires...for my car, my wife's car, my daughter's car or my motorhome...it is more than how cheap I can get the tires for. You can shop the internet and find really good tires for really low prices, if that's what you want. I look at it differently. My family's tires and my vacation tires are really important to me. So, I have a relationship with a couple of people at a local national tire company. I don't want to have any problems with my tires. I never have. I have never had any difficulty having a tire repaired or replaced...no matter where I am. I just call, tell them I am coming in. Wherever I am, they look up my account. Then, they treat me like a good ole fashioned customer. I get expert advice and service. As a returning customer, I am important to them. It is more than maximizing the profit on every tire that they sell to me. It is a relationship that you won't get at any store where you pay them, before you can even enter the store.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote