Old 04-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Costco Tire Sales... Complaints

www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/costco.html

I have been buying tires from Costco longer than my memory can recall. Toyota Tundras come with Goodrich tires (I recall) and those tires have been an issue when buying new Tundra's. Someone might want to correct me, if in error.

I had purchased a set of Michelin tires from our Toyota Service Dealer for our Land Cruiser.

Both sources I have had no issues as I have not had any tire issues to begin with.

When a few individuals had posted on a '16" Sendel Wheels and 16" Michelin Tires' Thread on this Forum, several mentioned Firestone TransForce tires, which from the internet are not sold at Costco.

There were 193 Complaints against Costco and their tire warranty and scratching aluminum wheels and having to wait to have the tires installed. Some seem legitimate. Some... these people have to be selling tires and even with my imagination, could make up weirder complaints or issues. It is a true experience of why being in the Retail Sales Business, you have to be careful with individual's complaints.

What killed Firestone were the big recalls 14.5 million Wilderness AT tires on Fords in 2000/2001. I recall they would take them and drill holes into the side wall so they could not be resold or used. Another recall for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. This is just a list of years on a Firestone Tire Recall search

Wait until Goodyear Marathons 14" get some kind of 'recall'. These I have too much experience with and they are TRASH. I have not had a problem with my 15" Marathons... but am not taking any chances and went to the 16" conversion to Michelins.

HiRun... trailer tires. Actually the worst tire I was sold that had a lifetime of less than 300 miles when my 14" Marathons were coming apart on our 2006 Safari.

I do not work for Costco. I do not know anyone who works at Costco. But these people complaining seem to do a lot of business with Costco's competition.

The ConsumerAffairs says that Costco Tires does not participate in the ConsumerAffairs Accreditation Program. I could click to Learn More... but someone else might find it also interesting.

I do encourage people who have had good experience with other Brands of tires for their trailers to START and THREAD and get some input. Maybe Firestone is a darling of a company this... month, but from the various RECALLS, that I was not even aware... consumer confidence may be a factor in sales.

What say you?

Old 04-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Ray, changing out to 16"/Michelin is probably the best choice. Some of us however, are ok with the 15" rims but not the GY Marathon nightmare rubber. My Maxxis E rated 10 ply nitrogen filled tires are going on Sunday AM. After our upcoming trip to California is complete I may start that thread you mentioned.

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Firestone's - wouldn't waste my money:
In 1971 I bought my first new car - it came with Firestones. Within two years six of them delaminated. I took them back to Firestone and they were nice and gave me new replacements. They said they were not made to go over 65 MPH (Calif. max. speed limit!). They would not admit that the tires were defective. I was stuck with them, because to change brands I would have to throw away five good tires and buy a whole set.
The last straw was a blowout on a tire with less than four thousand on it on a high speed off ramp in San Diego - with my butt out in the lane with cars going by at 70 MPH.
I bit the bullet, threw them away and bought a new set of Mitchlen's - haven't looked back - not one separation or blowout since!
Firestone never did admit they had a problem - the Government finely made them recall and replace all their tires in about 1980.
I've bought all my tires from Costco - wonderful service - good price.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Out of 193 complaints how many tires do you think they've sold. Mine were installed and purchased at Costco.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
Firestone's - wouldn't waste my money:
In 1971 I bought my first new car - it came with Firestones. Within two years six of them delaminated. I took them back to Firestone and they were nice and gave me new replacements. They said they were not made to go over 65 MPH (Calif. max. speed limit!). They would not admit that the tires were defective. I was stuck with them, because to change brands I would have to throw away five good tires and buy a whole set.
The last straw was a blowout on a tire with less than four thousand on it on a high speed off ramp in San Diego - with my butt out in the lane with cars going by at 70 MPH.
I bit the bullet, threw them away and bought a new set of Mitchlen's - haven't looked back - not one separation or blowout since!
Firestone never did admit they had a problem - the Government finely made them recall and replace all their tires in about 1980.
I've bought all my tires from Costco - wonderful service - good price.
Oh yes, the old bias belted tires. What worthless crap has been sold to the American people over the years. That was the American answer to the radial tires of Europe. I have been running radial tires since the 1950s.

Firestone and Bridgestone tires are closely related. I have never bought a set of Firestone tires that were truly round. I bought a new 1970 Mercedes with Continental tires. When I took it back to the dealer and said if I didn't know better I would think they were Firestones. He said basically they are Firestones in Europe. We took them off.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Read the ConsumerAffairs... better than the comics

I think it totally reasonable that EVERYONE who has had a GOOD or BAD experience with tires, wheels or service to open a Tire Thread.

I began my quest for 16" wheels and tires once I purchased my 2014 25 footer. Finding the brand of WHEELS was the first revelation. Tires the second. This Forum and conversations gave me the information I needed. I was told that you HAD TO USE ONLY TRAILER RATED TIRES ON MY AIRSTREAM.

Wrong, apparently.

Information: Not from a salesman. Not from the RV sales lot. From actual consumers and some... go out of their way, bring up facts that otherwise would have taken many hours of searching the internet.

I had tried to find information removing the 14" wheels to a 15" wheel for five lug nuts for my 2006 23 foot Safari. I was lucky and found two trailer tire brands that gave me no problems. I discussed those on the 16" wheel/tire thread earlier.

GYM trailer rated tires... The Goodyears were incapable of building confidence due to multiple failures and of course... it was my fault in the eyes of Goodyear. Prove it not the operator was virtually impossible. Once brands changed... my experiences changed to the better. These were reliable options to the factory installed tires.

Loyalty to a brand trailer, vehicle or tires... takes a lot of trial and error at times. I found Michelin tires, when they were Made in France my choice, even when people were boycotting French Wine and 'American Fries'.

My 1978 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4x4 was a P.O.S. and I WAS a Chevrolet motor head. Well, General Motors took many a Lug NUTS. I am sure there is no comparison today to compare 1978 to 2016 pickup trucks, but my 1981 Toyota for a family of four... was a bit of compromise. I parted ways at 135,000 miles, while rusting out along the bottom edges and still had buyers wanting it! The 1978 Chevrolet pickup was rusting as well. I bought my first 1985 Land Cruiser for $15,000 and have had one or two ever since.

After 35 years and many new Toyotas... I will maintain that loyalty... although the Ford 3/4 ton pickup is a close second. If Toyota drops in quality... I will check the Ford F250 out.

This is the same with Airstream trailers. I am willing, as with Toyotas, to pay the price, but the value and quality better be included with the purchase. With the tire/wheel options and the small stuff that should have been improved on Airstreams decades ago... I could check out another trailer for a comparison of value, price and resale depreciation.

Tires. It bothers me that Airstream has some intimate relationship with Goodyear... unless you are buying an 'higher end' Airstream model. I thought they ALL were higher end models. I wonder if these high end models have a matching spare to those on the ground.

Reading some more Costco complaints. One guy said he had to pay CASH for the tires, as they did not accept credit card purchases. JB of Northridge, CA Nov. 8, 2015. When you become a member... you get a Costco credit card from American Express and soon to be Visa. One LIE and the rest has to be.

The following post said he had worn out tires before the 65,000 mile warranty expired and they were new and the tread was already 'down below what is accepted'.

Sears and their automotive departments were the Number One place to go in the 1960's. Then the service began to falter, quality fell apart and the dummies that were working should have all been fired. I should know, I worked Department 28 in High School. Everything I had was Craftsman tools or dependable brands with a National System of Sears to take care of any issues. Not today. Fifteen years ago they could not install a car battery into the tray correctly.

Yes... when the sun sets, things cool down. At my age, which is rounds out to 66... you have been ripped off, BSed to death and learn the hard way. Now the internet and Forums as this are refreshing and an inexpensive education from those who are tested and reliable. Well... myself excluded after this.

PLEASE start a Thread on a product you found worth the price OR a total scam. You can do no worse than myself when I get .... 'rolling'.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Well I have bought lots of tires for my big trucks and pickups, I do get the best deal at Costco, I do like the Michelin , they mounted and balanced my 16" michelins for the as, I never had a good Chinese tire and don't want a twainese one either, Costco treats me fine, thank you....
Old 04-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
It bothers me that Airstream has some intimate relationship with Goodyear... unless you are buying an 'higher end' Airstream model. I thought they ALL were higher end models. I wonder if these high end models have a matching spare to those on the ground.

Ray
This AS attitude is truly insulting. Wonder how many buyers are aware of this. This is not what us AS buyers expect....which is (in my opinion) top quality all around. Shame.
Re tires...I had nothing but good service at my Twin Falls Costco installing Michelins on Sendels. Alright...time to start laying on provisions for this season. Safe travels. jon
Old 04-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Do not buy MAXXIS tires. They are junk. Do some research and you will see that these tires are of inferior quality, over priced and over stocked.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Don't buy MAXXIS 8008 Es. Big mistake. I have three other photos showing the complete and massive tire failures while traveling from Florida to Michigan just last week.
The tires were less than 5 years old, made in Thailand and cost ($750 for 4) nearly double my earlier set which cost $420 for 5. They are sacrificing quality for profit and it shows not only in the pricing but also in the inferior tire construction.
Want more photos just let me know.

Go with 16inch rims and Michelin LTXs.

FWIW
Old 04-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have installed Michelins on every new vehicle that did not come with them for 50 years now.

CostCo has been my source of Michelin tires since 2002 when I moved to Arizona.

I started reading this forum long before I selected our first Airstream, a 2013 25FB International Serenity. I knew that I would discard the stock GYM tires when I got the unit home. Five Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires were installed by CostCo on the four aluminum and steel spare factory rims.

CostCo replaced a tire with a screw in the outer radius of the tire as a road hazard that was non-repairable.

I ordered the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires from CostCo and they mounted them on the 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels I acquired from Discount Tire as CostCo could not source those specific wheels. They also installed the Dill 1506-453 senders ordered from Discount Tire.

When I ordered the 15" T03-56545T wheels from Discount Tire for the 23D, they sold the 15" LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires at a much lower price than CostCo could match. They also installed the Dill 1506-453 TPMS system they sold me as well.

CostCo sells and installs the Michelin tires for the other vehicles we drive. I get the tires rotated there every 5,000 miles after getting the oil changes done by the appropriate dealership.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I used to buy all my tires from Costco, and then I stumbled upon Discount Tires and never went back to Costco. Discount beat Costco on prices, especially on Michelins. Most places have a Discount Tire stope while not every place has a Costco. There is alot of wait time at Costco and no way would I buy GYM's ever again.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Costco LTX225/75R16 Load Rate E Tire COST for Five

Since I made a five Michelin purchase on 3-28-16 these prices are current for Costco. I will admit... I DID NOT PRICE SHOP.

LT M/S2 LT225/75R16
MSPN 05681
70,000 mile warranty

5 tires @ $173.99 each for $869.95
5 tires @ $1.50 Colorado State Tire tax for $7.50
5 tires @ $14.00 Mount and Balance for $ $70.00
Michelin Coupon for Four Tires for $-70.00 Off of Total Cost
Sales Tax 6.8125% on $877.45 for $59.27

Total Cost for FIVE Tires and mounted onto MY wheels: $936.72

For our Executive Member Costco we get a 2% rebate on the above total. Wife purchased $186.00 worth of groceries and also getting a 2% rebate. I ate some generous assortments of food samples in the Store.

I do like the Nitrogen Gas used in each tire that Costco does.
I do like the nation wide centers and all under ONE corporate standard
I have not used the warranty yet for any tire purchase, so cannot make comment(s)

My five wheels took about 40 minutes after dropping the wheels off at the Tire Center. They were mounted, balanced and put into the back of my pickup. I did not want to bring my trailer to Costco, but have done that in the past with my 2006 23 footer.

Since Goodrich tire sales were slow, the Tire Manager said he would give me the $70.00 promotional discount. That was a wise decision, as I could have gone to Discount Tires as Pappy9 or another independent tire service center. I now had Costco's best price to work with...

These are the prices to beat. Those who are willing to post what they paid... are doing fellow Airstream owners an opportunity not to be an easy sale for an inflated price.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Venice , Florida
Bought new axels from Colin Hyde...he recommended Michelin LT for my 1992 25. LOVE these tires. When I go over bumps now, I feel the front of the truck hit & then the rear of the truck hit, and then nothing from the Airstream.