Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Tireman9. Maxxis ST tires, for the most part, are speed rated "Q". At least the 225-75-15s I have on the 30 FC are Q tires. What is their max operating speed?

And what are your feelings of Goodyear Marathon, General, and Maxxis stating that 75 mph and even 85 mph are permissible speeds if a 10 psi or 20 psi additional pressure is added above that required for a given weight per the inflation tables? (That additional pressure of course can not exceed sidewall max)

See:

https://www.onlinetires.com/search/v...ds/page_1.html

Thanks Howard
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
Tireman9: Thanks for weighing in on this and adding some clarity. I will heed your warning about ST tires only being rated for 65mph. I also heard that tires generally do not fail at max cold inflation pressure, thus I will go with the 80psi printed on the sidewall as I do not see any downside to doing so. Perhaps it will be a marginally 'rougher' ride, but in all probability we will not be able to notice the difference. Thanks again!
Your welcome. Be sure to check out my RV tire blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Tireman9. Maxxis ST tires, for the most part, are speed rated "Q". At least the 225-75-15s I have on the 30 FC are Q tires. What is their max operating speed?

And what are your feelings of Goodyear Marathon, General, and Maxxis stating that 75 mph and even 85 mph are permissible speeds if a 10 psi or 20 psi additional pressure is added above that required for a given weight per the inflation tables? (That additional pressure of course can not exceed sidewall max)

See:

https://www.onlinetires.com/search/v...ds/page_1.html

Thanks Howard
Thanks for link. Wasn't sure if MAXXIS had finished adding speed symbol to their tires. Not sure if I would go with towing at much above 75 (or for that matter much above 65 simply for vehicle control and safety issues. Stopping distance when towing is poor enough.

Have you ever tested to see what happens even at 30 mph with an emergency stop? It would be 4 times worse as you get to 60 and them much worse with additional speed. Do you stop in straight line with the brakes locked?

BUT each tire company may or may not apply speed restriction on their tires but teh speed rating on tires is like the engine redline. If you think it is good practice to run near, at or above engine redline then you probably believe running tires at or near or above their max speed rating.

On ST type tire without the speed symbol MOLDED ON THE SIDEWALL you should consider 65 the max.
Goodyear has a document allowing up to 75 if you add 10 psi but I have never seen anyone going beyond the +10 psi and + 10 mph so don't know where you got the 85 mph and +20 psi. Can you provide a link to the document you are quoting?

Please remember that ST type tires have no requirement to actually pass a high speed test and even tires that do have a speed rating (P & LT) only have to run 75 for 30 min + 80 for 30 min + 85 for 30 min and this at 88% of the Max tire load.

So I would first ask if you are running at no more than 88% of tire max load (measured not estimated) and if you are willing to accept 1.5 hours as the life of a tire?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
This is how I decipher how the tire standards and regulations are supposed to work.

Replacement tires, at a minimum, need to provide the load capacity - via inflation pressures - that the OE tires provided.

The FMVSS says - in part - that vehicle manufacturers MUST set your trailer’s GVWR and each GAWR. To that is added the responsibility to select a tire/rim fitment that is appropriate for each GAWR and set the recommended tire inflation pressure (s) for the selected tires. That’s not an arbitrary statement. The standard directs the vehicle manufacturer to do that. It’s a vehicle manufacturers responsibility and once made becomes a minimum standard for that vehicle.

Although the same FMVSS’s are used for automotive and RV trailers they do specify differences and it’s in those differences where the confusion often starts. Automotive fitments are required to have reserve load capacities. RV trailer fitments do not. Therefore an additional measurement is provided for RV trailer fitments and it says that the RV trailer manufacturers’ published hitch/pin weight (and they must publish one) when added to the trailer’s total GAWR must equal or exceed the trailer’s GVWR. That in reality allows the trailer manufacturer to fit two 1500# tires to a 3000# axle. Kick-in the ST tire manufacturers on the one hand saying their tires are good to go all day on maximum allowed tire inflation pressures and you get inferior fitments that are surely going to fail early. And, they only have the option to set the recommended tire inflation pressures to maximum.

Setting RV trailer tire inflation pressures to accommodate the load carried is a poor recommendation by whoever makes it. A 1 psi loss of inflation pressure will cause such tires to be overloaded. You can lose a single psi by hitting a curb or pothole or just dropping off the slab you were parked on all weekend. Sure, it’s uncommon but it can happen.

Look on your tire placard, certification label or in the owner’s manual and find the size of the OE tires. Determine how much load capacity they provided at their recommended inflation pressure. Your new tires need to provide that much load capacity. Determine the inflation pressure you’re going to set to equal or exceed what the OE tires provided and jot it down in your owner’s manual. Auxiliary tire placards are allowed and it’s recommended that you make one and display it adjacent to the original tire placard or certification label.

I’m providing the following quote for those that misunderstand the purpose of the FMVSS standards. They are for vehicle manufacturers but are often quoted as something we, the users owners have control over.

FOREWORD
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has a legislative mandate under Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Vehicle Safety, to issue Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and Regulations to which manufacturers of motor vehicle and equipment items must conform and certify compliance.
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Thanks for link. Wasn't sure if MAXXIS had finished adding speed symbol to their tires. Not sure if I would go with towing at much above 75 (or for that matter much above 65 simply for vehicle control and safety issues. Stopping distance when towing is poor enough.

Have you ever tested to see what happens even at 30 mph with an emergency stop? It would be 4 times worse as you get to 60 and them much worse with additional speed. Do you stop in straight line with the brakes locked?

BUT each tire company may or may not apply speed restriction on their tires but teh speed rating on tires is like the engine redline. If you think it is good practice to run near, at or above engine redline then you probably believe running tires at or near or above their max speed rating.

On ST type tire without the speed symbol MOLDED ON THE SIDEWALL you should consider 65 the max.
Goodyear has a document allowing up to 75 if you add 10 psi but I have never seen anyone going beyond the +10 psi and + 10 mph so don't know where you got the 85 mph and +20 psi. Can you provide a link to the document you are quoting?

Please remember that ST type tires have no requirement to actually pass a high speed test and even tires that do have a speed rating (P & LT) only have to run 75 for 30 min + 80 for 30 min + 85 for 30 min and this at 88% of the Max tire load.

So I would first ask if you are running at no more than 88% of tire max load (measured not estimated) and if you are willing to accept 1.5 hours as the life of a tire?
Tireman, I think that 20 psi and the 85 mph came from Maxxis. Let me research some history here and get back.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Your welcome. Be sure to check out my RV tire blog
10-4...link for your tire blog?
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
10-4...link for your tire blog?
Check contact info in my Profile.

I am not allowed to post the link to my blog directly in a thread.