Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Covington , Texas
continuing the great tire saga

My tire dealer has recommended Shield brand tires for my AS. I have been buying from him for 30 years. He stated they have had great success with this brand. Anyone have any experience with Shield?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've done some trailer tire research and have never heard of the Shield brand. Please provide us with more information.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Finding a replacement 1000 miles from home could be a problem.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Covington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I've done some trailer tire research and have never heard of the Shield brand. Please provide us with more information.

Brian
Hello, Brian

This is a chinese tire. My dealer has been selling for over 4 years. Has had no recalls or major problems. As I stated he has been my go to tire guy for 30 years. After reading the forum on tires pro and con. I believe I am going to trust him at this point. If any other info comes up on tire will post. Thanks Please reply with your thoughts.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Covington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Finding a replacement 1000 miles from home could be a problem.
Yeah, I considered this, I basically considered my tire guy of 30 years. He has been selling these for four years with no issues. I live in a small rural area and a number of farmers, ranchers, rv'ers have been running these and had no complaints. Please reply with your thoughts.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
continuing the great tire saga

I, too, just purchased new tires for my Overlander. When I went to the tire dealer with whom my family has been trading for 30 years, all he had were Chinese made ST tires with unrecognizable brand names. I had intended to have him order GoodYear Marathons as I have had excellent luck with them since 1980. When he told me that he couldn't get a set of Marathons in the foreseeable future, he tried to sell me some of the unknown brand tires.

Not feeling comfortable with tires of a brand I didn't recognize I embarked on a project to see what else might be available. Changing to 16" wheels and LT tires was out of the question since I had just received my new 15" aluminum wheels via Fed Ex Ground. A week later and some 75 telephone calls later, in a three county area, the only ST tire with a name that I recognized was the Carlisle Radial Trail ST. My nearest Carlisle retailer only stocked the Load Range E Radial Trail in the LT 225/75 R 15 so he special ordered a set of the tires in Load Range D for me -- the only thing that I have noted about these tires at this point is that they run a bit larger than the GoodYear Marathons as the tires had to be deflated so that they could be worked up into the wheelwell -- they fit with adquate clearance (but just barely).

I was so relieved to find ST tires in a brand that I recognized, I haven't actually looked to see where they were made. The DOT codes indicated a date of manufacture less than six months ago. My first trip of any distance since having these tires mounted will be this weekend.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
OK, I am going to try posting my question on tires here as no response on other posts (maybe cause no one has heard of this tire either??). We are looking at replacement tires & a spare for our Minuet. I read a post on the Cooper Custom Plus which sounded really good - American made, ST, radial, w/D range. Could not locate here in town so called Cooper Tire. Those tires were discontinued a couple months ago. The CSRep said I might be able to find some thru a local wholesaler who deals w/public. HMMMM, I thought - yea or nea. Well, I tried a wholesaler who would sell to me, they did not have the Cooper Custom BUT they told me that Cooper makes a tire that is sold thru a company called National. It is called the "Akuret". The website of National is Delnat.com. I am trying to get more info on this Akuret and asked here on the Forum for any feedback. I will also try to call National or e-mail them for more info, but still am interested in anyone who might have heard ofthis tire.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Tex, I had a very bad experience with Chinese "no-name" tires on my work truck. I went with Carlisles on the Airstream. You will find this opinion repeated many times here on this forum.

Leigh, are you sure that you want to buy a discontinued tire?

On edit: I don't know what I was typing up there. I went with Maxxis 225/75 R15 LRD. Sorry about that.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Why would Cooper discontinue them? Passing off problems to an off brand? Maybe I'm too skeptical.

Gene
Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Cooper Custom Plus

The Cooper Custom Plus was a victom of Coopers marketing stratgy. Each distributor had to buy a certain dollar amount of tires to make an order. You could not order ones and twos. Dealers couldn't afford to hold these under advertised tires while they were growing old, so they didn't sell. According to what I've read on then they are probally the best ST tire ever made, just try finding one, or two of four.
It was the only ST tire I had considered putting on my trailer but decided against it because of availability.
Cooper killed this tire.
Beginner
Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi again. The tire that I am looking at is suppose to be made by Cooper, but is NOT the discontinued one - which is the Cooper Custom Plus. The one I am looking at is called an Akuret manufactured by Cooper & is sold thru Del-Nat. under the National brand name. I just wondered if anyone had more info. I am going to try to get more from National, but meanwhile I went to their webpage and got this... If you can find out more, or already know, I would be interested. Thanks

http://www.nationaltire.com/img.asp?..._ST_Radial.jpg

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Sorry Leigh. Guess I need to read a little closer, eh?

My view is that I would rather go with a known entity than something new when this much money is involved. Maybe the fact that you can't find much info on them means that there aren't that many in use? Short track record, etc?

I went with the Maxxis tires because 1) they were available locally, 2) came highly recommended by a forum member that I have a great respect for and 3) They were not made in China.

I don't want to hijack the thread into another "China Bashing" experiment, but I just don't seem to have any good luck with Chinese products.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
[quote=COArgosy78;700213]Could not locate here in town so called Cooper Tire. Those tires were discontinued a couple months ago. The CSRep said I might be able to find some thru a local wholesaler who deals w/public.

Cooper still carries the CT Plus on their website

Cooper Tires - Custom Trailer Plus - Special Trailer Tires

But, I don't doubt your word. I am very disappointed to hear that they have discontinued this tire. I have them on my trailer and have about 7,000 miles on them now (bought them Aug 2008). I was hoping that they would be available when I was ready to replace in a few years. They are the only trailer that is rated to travel at normal highway speeds (speed rating "S" and that goes all the way to 112 mph, IF you have the nerve). Plus they don't have all the sidewall bulges that Marathons have. That always made me nervous.

Ed
Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I think Maxxis tires are made in China... (not bashing; I have Maxxis tires on our Airstream.)