Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Nope, my Maxxis tires are made in Thailand....
Marc

Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Nope, my Maxxis tires are made in Thailand....
Marc
Same here.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Here is a bit of an update from an e-mail I received via the Del-Nat website. I'm still asking for more info, but I did re call the Cooper CS rep who verified they make this tire. Then, I guess they let Del-Nat (or National) do the marketing/selling.

The 225/75R15 is an 8 ply tire with a load limit of 2,620 lbs per tire. It has a tread depth of 10/32nds.

Sorry, we are talking about the "Akuret" here.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Been very pleased with Maxxis. One thing I liked about the Maxxis is that they use a nylon cap which has been known for years to limit the dreaded tread separation issue. This is similar to what is found on performance tires.

I had good luck with Marathons, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when JCanavera had tread separation on his Classic. Jack is very mindful of service and maintains the trailer as good or better than the factory suggests. So far my Maxxis tires have been fine, though I only have one season on them. I'd be reluctant to buy an off brand.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
I needed new tires for my '83 Sovereign this spring. Since I live in the boondocks (South Dakota-Left side) my choices are limited. No Maxxis dealers, etc., etc. Talked to my tire guy, who I have been dealing with for over 20 years, and ended up putting on Toyo Hyper Radial ST tires, 8 Ply 7.00 R15 LT load rating of 2,040 lbs at 65 psi. Our first trip out will be to Anaconda, Montana leaving on Saturday and coming back on Thursday. I'll let you know how they work.

Rick in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310astream View Post
I needed new tires for my '83 Sovereign this spring. Since I live in the boondocks (South Dakota-Left side) my choices are limited. No Maxxis dealers, etc., etc. Talked to my tire guy, who I have been dealing with for over 20 years, and ended up putting on Toyo Hyper Radial ST tires, 8 Ply 7.00 R15 LT load rating of 2,040 lbs at 65 psi. Our first trip out will be to Anaconda, Montana leaving on Saturday and coming back on Thursday. I'll let you know how they work.

Rick in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota

FWIW, I ordered mine online direct from Maxxis and paid $20 locally to have them mounted, tire disposal (old tires) and metal valve stems. The tires I got per the DOT code on the tire indicated that they were only about 4-6 weeks old IIRC.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Seems like no matter where you live it can be tough to get trailer tires as no one stocks them. I finally just started ordering from Tire Rack.Two days and they are at my door. Even with shipping their price is usually hard to beat.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #22
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
We too have not had any problems w/the Marathons we put on. They are 5yrs old now, and time to switch for safety sake. I am interested in the Maxxis, but not sure which ones. SilverT, did you get the M008 or the EU168? They are both considered a trailer tire, I hear.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #23
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Here is some additional tire info I picked up from another RV forum site. Just pasted it here for everyones' knowledge base. I have to agree w/poster as to Tire retailers knowing little about the tires the sell. Most I called kept saying the Marathons were still US made. There is also info on the Maxxis tires being manufactured by a company called Cheng Shen (they also have their own brand). They DO have a plant in Thailand. We have gotten a good quote for the Maxxis M8008, so think that is what we will go with. Hope this is helpful to anyone needing tires.

Posted: 03/08/09 02:48pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator Per recent communications with GoodYear tire, Goodyear Marathons ST tires are now only produced in their China plants after 2007. They used to have a US plant and one in New Zealand that made their ST marathon tires. DOT does not inspect every import or domestic tire, but rather does a small sampling to verify manufacturing meets DOT specifications. I have found from personal experience tire dealers rarely seem to have the facts and most of them are biased toward the tire that gives them the highest margin and availability.
When making tire decisions, you'll usually get better facts by doing a little Internet research than strictly relying on the opinion of a local tire dealer ( not always) but most of the time, they don't seem to have all the facts.

As an example, I printed off the DOT listing of tire manufacturer codes and took it along with me to purchase some new tires for my daughters SUV. In 6 different stores we visited, none of the so-called tire experts we talked with could tell me how to correctly interpret the DOT codes on the tires and how to identify the country that made the tire. In all 6 cases we were originally told the tires we're made in a country (USA) than what the actual tire DOT codes indicated ( China). Worse, the date codes on some of the "new tires" they tried to sell us were as old as 4 years.

The most honest and knowledgeable tire store we found was discount tire.