Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Commercial Tires for Tow Vehicles

besides having to buy tires for my 34 before the can opener in januar, i found out, i have to buy 6 new tires for my old F350 Dually.
Since i want tires that wear like steel and don't have to be replaced, i am looking at the Bridgestone Duravis R250.
They are 10 Ply Load range E and are steel encased tires.
Anybody has experience with those? i know they would be expensive though.

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Stefan,
It has been my own "personal" experience that similarly constructed tires "ride" rougher than say an LT tire. The roughness will transfer these vibrations into your Airstream. I do not recall whether you have new axles, but older ones with some age on them will tend to transfer more vibration due to stiffness of the rubber rods in the axle.

Balancing toes tires can also be a challenge. So, having Centramatics is advisable.

Of course it's your trailer .... But with that Persian knowledge, I won't be putting on our 34, Mjolnir...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Thanks for the info, but I should have clarified that I am looking to purchase those tires for my truck.. Not the 34. From what I found out is that those tires are extremely smooth and well balanced ..

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Although it isn't exactly what you asked for this may help: I have Duravis M700 HDs on my 2013 Suburban 2500. They have about 35.000 miles on them, and yet they still look like new. They behave nicely at above the speed limit on the highway, produce good braking behavior, and perform well whether rain or shine. I've had the misfortune to have had to make two emergency maneuvers while at speed on the highway, and the tires handled the situation with flying colors. I haven't yet had a chance to see how they perform in snow. I'm hoping that I won't want to buy a dedicated pair of winter tires. They seem pretty quiet to me given the moderately aggressive tread pattern. A rough ride quality is difficult for me to review - I don't know whether to blame the truck or the tires. Reviews at Tirerack.com are generally positive.

I have no reason to knock them, and I intend to buy another set if they ever wear out.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Sorry - Just discovered this piece of potentially important information. From Tirerack.com regarding the Duravis 250 tire: "Highway Rib Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

For maximum flexibility I wouldn't go with the 250s because of their poor cold-weather performance.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
Thanks for the info, but I should have clarified that I am looking to purchase those tires for my truck.. Not the 34. From what I found out is that those tires are extremely smooth and well balanced ..

Stefan,
Hey, no worry pard!!!! It's all good!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Commercial Tires for Tow Vehicles

No prob...
Since I live in the south and don't travel north, I believe the summer tire might be good for me.. Only part I don't like it the 240 per tire... Times 6 though.. Plus the 6 for my 34....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The 250 is better as a trailer tire. The 500 and 700 are the ones to have for the TV. I only get 120k out of Michelins whereas the commercial operators I know are reporting up to 180k from the Duravis line.

The LTX M/S is likely a better tire in rain

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
I actually ended up with the 250 Duravis . So far I put 1500mls on them and I love them . All our local delivery trucks are driving the same tires (ups. FedEx )

So far I can recommend them

Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Look forward to more of what you have to say. I'd be careful about topping 55 as all tires START to hydrophone at that seed and your type is surfing sooner than some other designs. All tires have trade offs. I have been deeply impressed by the Bridgestone 726 on the drive axles of our Petes. Never once stuck to or from an oil rig. Have slid off the road a few times but that is part of the job some days. Nothing like waiting for a D9 to come clanking down the lease road to get you out, ha!!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
from what i read and the way those tires perform on rainy roads, i believe they are pretty good.
The type of tread is the same design as BigRig Steer tires, but recommended for steer and drive tires. If i would not plan to rotate tires, i would use the 250 up front and a similar one like the M895 (which are like the 726 just in smaller size) as drive tire.
But so far I’m happy. they sure are very quiet. In case someone needs to know, i run 65psi front and 75psi rear.