Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just a few words

Hi, just a few words about what some of you have said. Shoes made in China. I work in the shop at a Ford dealer and need good, safe, and slip proof shoes; So I have been wearing Doc Martins. [Made in England] Now my last two pair of English Doc Martins are now made in China.
I also try to buy American, but if I limit myself to American made items, I would have nearly nothing. I just bought a pair of BAL tire chocks. [Made in China]
Tools, As a professional mechanic, I bought all high dollar, high quality tools; But for home / occasional use I can get by with cheaper tools.
As a tool dealer for eight years, [Mac Tools] I was embarrassed to know some of the tools we sold were from taiwon. Mostly hydraulic jacks and body shop tools and some air tools. But when my customers came out to my truck to purchase an air ratchet, $99.00 for foreign made, or $175.00 for American made. Most went for the cheaper one.
Wal-Mart. I personally don't like some of their practices, but they are here to stay. One example: Oatmeal dog shampoo [made by 8 in 1 ] sells for $12.95 in pet stores and when on sale you can find it for $9.95 but at Wal-Mart the same exact same thing sells $2.95 every day. I am going to retire soon and in my age group I feel we have paid excessively for everything though out our life time and I don't have the money to throw in the trash over the principal of Wal-Marts practices; So I will continue to shop there to buy the same product for much less money.
Airstream. Take your LED tail lights out of your new American made Airstream and the chrome bezels are made in Taiwon and the LED light module is made in China. [At least mine are.]

Maybe I should have said "Just a lot of words".

And the answer to everything is: GREED
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
All good points guys ,its just a fact that the PRICE in TODAYS world has
become the MAIN thing over quality .Now not everyone feels that way
as we here want quality ,but we unfortunately are not in charge .In 1970
no body would have even gave a look at an import ,no one could beat a
Hemi Charger or a 70 chevy Super cheyenne pickup ,or an airstream, still rules today ,and thats good ! A good fair price with quality is fine with me .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
FWIW, my Denmon (American tire company) trailer rated tires are made in Mexico. Still not US manufactur, but at least on this side of the planet. I have given up on USA only made searches for most things and gone to North America and South America searches. Much better results and the quality is not as bad as the China stuff.

Sorry, just my $.02
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
perception is everything

As far as cars and trucks go, no one builds "junk" anymore, at least no one that sells in the US. Comparatively, some current models may be much better than others, but everyone's quality has gone up by leaps and bounds. In 1967, we bought a new 1968 VW bus and put 98,000 miles on it in 18 months, an unheard-of feat at the time. Most cars were ready for the boneyard at 100,000 miles. You were lucky to get 12,000 miles out of your tires, and had to change to snow tires for Winter.
Now, a car can be reasonably expected to go 150,000 miles+, and a truck can go 300,000 before needing major work or replacement. Tires can go 80,000 miles before needing replacement, and don't generally require changing to snow tires, unless you live in a really severe climate.
Something I have noticed about Chinese stuff, is they tend to use the consumer as their final quality control inspector.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Something I have noticed about Chinese stuff, is they tend to use the consumer as their final quality control inspector.
You know, not to sound trite, but you know that comment sometimes reminds me of the RV industry in general and specifically, and at times, a certain RV company we've all grown to admire and love......as you can read by the QC threads found on a certain forum....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Interesting comments. On the comment about Walmart not allowing others to put businesses in their "abandoned" buildings--Grand Island, Nebraska opened two new Super Centers last year and closed up one standard store. The old building is now occupied by Hobby Lobby. By the way, my Dodge Cummins was made in Saltillo, Mexico.

Gene
Old 04-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #47
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by genearnold
Interesting comments. On the comment about Walmart not allowing others to put businesses in their "abandoned" buildings--Grand Island, Nebraska opened two new Super Centers last year and closed up one standard store. The old building is now occupied by Hobby Lobby. By the way, my Dodge Cummins was made in Saltillo, Mexico.

Gene
Gene,
It may be individual leases. I know the one in the small town near us, they wanted to put a discount store of some sort in, but the lease would not allow it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
From where I sit, you guys are guilty of your own criticism. You won't pay the bucks to get US made 16" wheels and use US made tires, so you are tripped up by Chinese made quality. My Made in USA American Racing Outlaw 16" aluminum wheels and Made in USA BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires have over 30,000 miles on them and are doing just fine! With over 75% of the tread left, I expect they will last another 50,000 miles without any problems. If you want to buy American and you want American quality, then you have to step up! If you want Semper FI, then get out your wallet!

It is funny, about the Dodge Cummins being made in Mexico, but the new Toyotal Tundra being made almost entirely in the USA! You "must buy American" so you by a Dodge! Si senoir!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #49
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Semper Fi

Nice to see you buy 16 and American made products at all costs Bob Thompsom. I hope youe last post was not a personal attack on me or the Corps. Altho it sounds that way. I don't have an extra $600 laying around to stick under my drainage ditch pipe called an airstream. So you hate the military huh, gee enjoy the fresh air provided you by our WW two vets. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
"I hope youe last post was not a personal attack on me or the Corps. Altho it sounds that way. I don't have an extra $600 laying around to stick under my drainage ditch pipe called an airstream. So you hate the military huh, gee enjoy the fresh air provided you by our WW two vets. DG"

Did I miss something here? As a 6 year Navy vet, I can usually detect an anti-military bias but I must have missed it in Mr. Thompson's post.

His point on price and quality is direct and correct.

And I must agree with his signature line regarding illegal immigrants. (There wouldn't be a problem if there weren't so many American employers violating the law. Much like the drug problem, it makes more sense to crack down (no pun intended) on the demand side rather than the supply of the equation. Probably cheaper as well.)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I am definitely not anti-military. I'm a Vietnam vet and spent 4 years in the Air Force. I buy American when I can. You have the opportunity to buy American if you will "pony up" and do it. Siemper Fi! If you choose not to do it, it is not because the opportunity isn't there. Maybe the price is just too American! Perhaps a Chinese price is more appealing.

For the record, I own a manufacturing company and produce all my goods in the USA with American citizen labor, except for the "Made in the USA" stickers. Guess what, I couldn't find them in the USA, they had to come from Canada! Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, when the time comes, I'm going to buy a Toyota Tundra made right here in San Antonio, Texas. None of that foreign made Dodge or GM stuff for me!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
The price for American quality doesn't have to be as bad as one might think. Here's a set of American Racing Outlaw II's 16x8 on Ebay with a "Buy It Now" of $305. Price Shopping is not anti-military either! I'm still trying to determine if Ebay is, though! Ha!!!!!!!

eBay Motors: 16X8 OUTLAW II AMERICAN RACING WHEELS 5 - 6 LUG (item 150108760674 end time Apr-09-07 18:00:00 PDT)
Old 04-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Drasco , Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to BILLY SPIER Send a message via Yahoo to BILLY SPIER
Doorgunner, Check Out This Co. I Have Used Their Tires And Wheels For Years And Have Had Very Good Luck With Them

Titan Tire Corporation
Located In Des Moins Iowa With Dealers Located All Over The U.s.

Billy
Old 04-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Now for tires, TireRack has the Marathons for $81 each. TireRack has the BF Goodrich tires for $119 per tire, or $38 more for the BF Goodrich's, or $152 for a set of 4. So far we're not talking high finance to buy American and support American workers and their products. Factor in that the Commercial T/A's are going to outlast the Marathons about 3:1 and the Commercial T/A's start to look like a bargain.

From where I sit, Goodyear has turned their backs on the American consumer, the American workers, and on American products. They let greed overtake "pride in product" a long time ago. Send them a message and vote with your billfold and buy something else. The workers have already lost their jobs so now it's time to for the management to go on the unemployment line. They failed to step up and can now pay the price!
Old 04-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
I am definitely not anti-military. I'm a Vietnam vet and spent 4 years in the Air Force. I buy American when I can. You have the opportunity to buy American if you will "pony up" and do it. Siemper Fi!
Bob,
What is the Semper Fi! (I underlined your quote also) in your message mean? It's sort of a war cry to former Marines. Could be the seat of misunderstanding my friend.
Another Vet,
John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Semper Fi means "Always Faithful" "Always Diligent". I take it to mean don't rest on your laurels, pay attention, don't be fooled, stand tall, and do the right thing, no matter what! It implies, "stop whining and do the right thing even if it means stepping up." It would seem it applies to Marines as well as consumers.

Don't yell "Semper Fi" everytime a tough decision comes up unless you're willing to do the right thing.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Semper Fi means "Always Faithful" "Always Diligent". I take it to mean don't rest on your laurels, pay attention, don't be fooled, stand tall, and do the right thing, no matter what! It implies, "stop whining and do the right thing even if it means stepping up." It would seem it applies to Marines as well as consumers.

Well Bob, "Semper fi" is sacred to Marines. You missed USMC boot camp or USMC officers basic training . You are forgiven.

Just possibly not a good choice of words in this case, my friend.
_____

Thanks for the good tire info on B. F. Goodrich. I also agree with your clear headed logic...

Your friend,
John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Fair enough! Perhaps a poor choice of words. I meant no dis-respect to Marines.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #59
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Bob...I'm pickin' up some BFGs for the Impala SS next week, but I hadn't considered BFG for the trailer. Are the BFGs you talk about standard radial tires or are they trailer tires specifically? I'd be happy to consider another brand beside the marathons.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
The B F Goodrich Commercial T/A's are all position LT tires, including RV's:
BFGoodrich Commercial T/A

For the record, Commercial tires are required by government regulations to carry heavier loads at higher speeds than ST tires. I first learned of them from people using them on 5th wheel trailers. I'm absolutely delighted with mine.