Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, somewhere I missed it; I didn't see anywhere where it said RVs or Trailers on the BF Goodrich site. But I won't say that they won't work on RVs/Trailers because I don't know that as a fact. I will more than likely run my Goodyears until timed out before wore out. Maybe six years? I wouldn't mind higher speed rated tires, but I still plan on going 65 mph or less.
I still tell freinds and customers, "At 100 mph, the only thing between you and the street, are your tires. Don't be cheap." And these people still tell me, "I don't drive that fast" [except when we drive to Vegas]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi, It is implied in the "use on both axles" phrase, a phrase used in reference to tire position for Commercial tires, especially heavy truck tires. For questions, I would call B F Goodrich Customer Service: 1-877-788-8899 They are most helpful and should be able to answer all your questions. 1.8771-877-788-8899..788.8899
Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #63
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
My point? Well, once China's labor force wakes up, we will have to find a new place or places as the old ones become near or at 1st world labor costs. Eventually, the whole world will be shopped for labor when everyone gets up to a certain level. One thing is nearly for sure, the US and a few other countries may not see manufac return, because the costs here will always be a step above what it is elsewhere.

Any thoughts on these last two points?
OH, YEAH! First of all, China is one of the last COMMUNIST contries left on earth. The workers have absolutley no "rights" as we understand them. The Chinese culture is the oldest on the planet (depending upon whose version of history you wish to believe). There is absoluetly no concept of the individual in the Empire of Chin'. ALL OF THE PROFITS, as you so correctly pointed out, are used to further the interests of the STATE, not the workers or shareholders (wait, the state IS THE MAJORITY shareholder in China). The workers have no proper forum to "wake up". As long as a Communist regime rules there, there will be no "1st world labor costs".

If you want manufacturing to return to our shores, check out Fairtax.org. And stop funding a Communist Regime by purchasing Chinese made junk.

Just my 2 kopeks.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #64
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Apology Accepted

Mr. Thompson: Truly the way you used Semper Fi really set me off. It is a "thing " we Marines say to one another, our brotherhood of warrior's. My initial post was about import lack of quality, mostly a rant on the chinese. I have no problem with our Canadian neighbors. I have their rubber on my Excella now. I read your post about 16" rims and tires, nice job. As a vietnam vet yourself I was then amazed at your miss use of Semper Fi. Trust me, I can afford to put whatever wheels and tires I choose on my drainage pipe. Why change out my nice 15" aluminum rims for no good reason. The debate will continue long after I am gone. For those of us that have seen combat and had our fellow Marines die next to us there is a very special meaning to Semper Fi. Thanks for your service to our great country. Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #65
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Isn't BFG owned by Micheline(sp) now? Maybe it's Goodyear, Maybe I've got them confused. Either way, I doubt there's a Frechman alive that understands the concept of Semper Fidelis.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes, BFG is owned by Michelin. Makes you think the American worker can get the job done, it's the American managers and directors who are incompetent.

Usually I cringe at political correctness as it is always an unnecessary concession, but it the case of "Semper FI", out of respect for the immense contribution made by Marines, including friends who have served and been injured in service to the USA, I will never use the phrase again. Let it be a phrase only one Marine can share with another Marine.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Well....

Certainly an interesting discussion going here...

We, and this economy, are reaping the seeds sown may years ago... We were made an offer we could have refused.... but we 'wussed' out as a group of consumers.... There have been plenty of people, along the way, telling us this stuff was coming, but the 'majority' didn't want to hear it.... 'buy it cheap, if it breaks, replace it with more c&*p...' sigh.

I'm with the 'buy locally' crowd - that goes for buying close to home rather than 'in town' and it goes for locally ie US where ever possible. Have to hope that my $'s matter. They certainly matter to the local merchants. Every time I go in these businesses, there is a discussion along the lines of this thread going....

As usual, no answers... just more questions...!

BTW - Wal-mart can kiss my ***.

Thanks for listening.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
OH, YEAH! First of all, China is one of the last COMMUNIST contries left on earth. The workers have absolutley no "rights" as we understand them. The Chinese culture is the oldest on the planet (depending upon whose version of history you wish to believe). There is absoluetly no concept of the individual in the Empire of Chin'. ALL OF THE PROFITS, as you so correctly pointed out, are used to further the interests of the STATE, not the workers or shareholders (wait, the state IS THE MAJORITY shareholder in China). The workers have no proper forum to "wake up". As long as a Communist regime rules there, there will be no "1st world labor costs".

If you want manufacturing to return to our shores, check out Fairtax.org. And stop funding a Communist Regime by purchasing Chinese made junk.

Just my 2 kopeks.
Hi Jim & Susan; While what you have stated is so very true, there are many sad facts associated with it, which lead back to us. To understand this vicious circle we are the one's who allowed it to happen, by thinking that it was a single edged sword. Our unions certainly have done much good for our worker, but it came a time when the US manufacturer could no longer compete in the market, and so called union privileges. Have we forgotten times when driving down the road we have seen one man playing with a shovel while six others leaned on them? There were many times when I pulled over and watched for a while. Nothing changed even after one hour and I was upset for loosing my hour of work to make that determination.
In mid 80's Outboard Marine Corp. was so bound by the Union that they could not get rid of workers who who bummed all day. Delivery of outboard engines to the dealers were 5 to 6 months delayed and when we got them, the six cylinder engines were running on five. In the end we discovered that the sixth piston in that engine was an empty beer can in the cylinder without the connecting rod but the letters "F. U" on bottom of can were clearly unmistakable. How did beer found its way to the plant? Did that worker realized that it would backfire on him? Well it did, the Corporation had to move out, or go out of business so they moved out. In Japan, if the worker makes the same mistake twice he no longer has a job. Yes, I have been there nine weeks per year for eight years, and I watched it happen.
The problem in US is lack of bond and dedication on both sides, employee and employer and it is the individual greed that feeds that fire which consumes us. I have had a Certified technicians working for me. I have watched them on camera for three to four hours daily doing absolutely nothing while expecting agreed profit sharing. They played on my computer for an hour at the time. This did not happened once but more times that I care to remember. Do those people realize that in order to receive a paycheck they need to contribute? Do they care? Demand for skilled tech's is very high in my area, and I could use a few but where are they? Some were promised a dollar more per hour by the compettitor and they were gone without notice. Two weeks later they found out that it meant they will get a dollar more if they exceede factory Flat Rate. Do any of you think that I should hire them back? I should be retiring soon, and I would think that someone would jump on the occasion of taking over a very reputable turn key business, yet no one is interested in my offer. It is even difficult to get anyone to work, so I had to give up three quarter of my facilities and scale down. I am afraid we have created our own monster. It is not China that has control over us. We are the ones who can control it with our wallet. We have let it go so far, that even that becomes a hard chore. That two edged sword was created by our own greed from CEO's down to the worker, and now we all cry about it, and yet we are not using the power of the mighty dollar at hand. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #69
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Great summation boatdoc!

I remember reading a post a while ago about a member trying to get a repair done and the 'tech' didn't want to start it because it was Friday afternoon .REALLY? Not to blow my own horn, but I have ALWAYS responded to the volume of work and done the extra hours required to get the jobs done. Currently, that means 12-14 hour days 6-7 days a week! Of course, it's a seasonal deal so you have to cram in as much as possible while the work is still here, but I have always tried to go the 'extra mile' for my clients.

I truly believe that many American workers are responsible for the demise of the manufacturing sector, as you pointed out with the OMC debacle. But managemant is also to blame with outrageous compensation packages even though the companies are failing!!

If you can't take pride in what you do and put your best effort forward for your customars every day, then find something else to do! If you do, your customers will appreciate you and the word of mouth referrals will overwhelm you with new business.

I'll get off the soap box now........
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #70
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I truly believe that many American workers are responsible for the demise of the manufacturing sector, as you pointed out with the OMC debacle. But managemant is also to blame with outrageous compensation packages even though the companies are failing!!
The bottom line is that it's called work ethic and few folks have it nowadays. I too spend countless hours beyond what it takes to get 'er done. Complaint? Not at all, because I see it as a partial ownership issue. Not that I own one red cent of what I buy, install or maintain. But I am the one ultimately responsible for all 2300 users being able to do what they need to do, and I take that responsibility seriously. We here in IL have unions in education. It's angers me so much to see the BS that goes on. So much goes on with tenure, etc that it sickens me to see these grown up children act the way they do, then threaten to walk out if they don't get what they want. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is a negotiation. If I did what the teachers did, few things would get done. When they complain, I simply tell them that they are welcome to be with me at 2am instead of being home with their family as I should be..........

As for the OMC thing, like the Raido Flyer situation, this too is one that hits close to home, being about 25 miles north of me.

I recall reading here on this forum when I posted about installing a subwoofer in under my sofa on my Safari, where I found that someone at the factory had eaten their McDonald's breakfast sandwich and balled up the wrapper and stuffed it in an interior skin hole where the electrical came in. I was and still am miffed by that, but then someone told me about a Cadillac way back when that had a rattle in the fender. I forget what it was that was causing it, but I do recall what the note said...something to the effect of, "I hope it took you forever to find this you rich basta...."

I will look into the BFGs for the trailer. Thanks Bob.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:32 AM   #71
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
OH, YEAH! First of all, China is one of the last COMMUNIST contries left on earth....
with France...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #72
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I remember in the early 1970's three Chevrolet cars that came into our shop, all new, or almost new.
1- 1974 Caprice with a 350 V8 that died on the way home from the dealer, with 12 miles on it--only had six pistons and rods installed in the engine.
2- 1972 Nova with 8,000 miles on it, had a funny rattle. I found a 3/8" nut tied with fishing line to the window regulator, it would touch the inner door panel with the window rolled up, when driving over a bump, while goinjg around a right hand curve. Took me forever, couldn't find it, the shop foreman finally found it.
3- 1973 El Camino with a wierd rumble when going around curves--had a golf ball mounted inside the spare.
I am sure the other "Big 3" manufacturers had the same pranks going on, I just never saw them. Because of this, though, I went to Ford to find a job...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Just shows you how wrong you can be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Mr. Thompson: Truly the way you used Semper Fi really set me off. It is a "thing " we Marines say to one another, our brotherhood of warrior's. My initial post was about import lack of quality, mostly a rant on the chinese. I have no problem with our Canadian neighbors. I have their rubber on my Excella now. I read your post about 16" rims and tires, nice job. As a vietnam vet yourself I was then amazed at your miss use of Semper Fi. Trust me, I can afford to put whatever wheels and tires I choose on my drainage pipe. Why change out my nice 15" aluminum rims for no good reason. The debate will continue long after I am gone. For those of us that have seen combat and had our fellow Marines die next to us there is a very special meaning to Semper Fi. Thanks for your service to our great country. Tim
My military experiences in 1969-1971 Army was a bit different than what doorgunner represents. We were in mixed units where there we a number of Marines. At that time, "Semper Fi" was uttered to our brothers at arms as a sign of respect for their committment to the occupation of soldier. I would have thought that if it was disrespectful, they would not have always responded a hearty "o-rah". I guess we all get different pictures of life depending on where we were and what we were doing.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
A couple of weeks ago I was in a spot when I went to pick up the trailer - I needed tires. There was a Goodyear store in town - Hey I'm all about supporting the American worker when I can. (I admit I usually go out of my way to find domestic products).
Needless to say I was extremely dismayed when I paid a premium for Chinese goods. I was in a spot so I had to purchase the tires.
Usually I purchase tires for the vehicles made by Cooper Tire - They are manufactured in Ohio. They also have off brands that are made in China.

Anyway I agree with many folks here - we can be our own worst enemy of why the middle class is shrinking and also because of the high taxes - that's a totally different topic.

I have often wondered about the profits from the Chinese manufacturing going to the Chinese gov't which is building military weapons - to sell to places like North Korea and Iran............ It's indeed a sad story.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
American Sabatage

Hi, I also experienced some new car problems while doing new car get ready at the dealerships. Chevrolet: one six inch string tied to a body hole in the right quarter panel with a nut tied to the other end. [nice rattle] A nut placed in the secondary ports of a quadrajet carburetor so when you hit full throttle it would suck the nut into the engine to destroy it; The nut got stuck in the butterfly holding the throttle open at high speed. I was able to take it out before it got into the engine and destroyed it. Rear main bearing lower half left out. Nuts and bolts put inside of the frame on both frame cars and unit body cars. Ford: double rear radio mounts bent over so radio can't come out as designed. Broken rear window left on the floor of pickup, found after removeing seats, carpets, and insulation. Both companies, broken glass and coke bottles found inside front doors. And many more. These acts were done by highly paid, and with many benfits, UAW union workers.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #76

Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvalley View Post
Well Bob, "Semper fi" is sacred to Marines. You missed USMC boot camp or USMC officers basic training . You are forgiven.

Just possibly not a good choice of words in this case, my friend.
_____

Thanks for the good tire info on B. F. Goodrich. I also agree with your clear headed logic...

Your friend,
John

Came upon this thread when looking for/at GY and Chinese tire info.

However - I think somebody has a "holy-er than thou" attitude about
a innocuous use of "Semper Fi"!
(Or maybe has their head where the sun don't shine DI's & TI's had a more direct way of expressing that)

There was no disrespect to the US Marine Corps -or Marines - intended or implied in Mr. Thompson's original post.

Latin has been around lots longer than the Marine Corps!

Because Semper Fidelis is the (Latin) Marine Corps motto - does that mean nobody can use this term - long or short version?

Think that attitude runs counter to the very "being" of the Corps - and all of our military - which *ALSO* goes back further than the founding of the Marine Corps . . .to the US Constitution.

Here's a true 'Nam story for the "Doorgunner".

During the Nam era, we young guys were sitting around a coffee shop BSing. Something came up about the ongoing war.

Now - to set the stage there were two guys at the table who didn't know each other. A gung-ho US Marine (John), and a rather small, quiet Army guy, Chuck). Chuck had completed his 2 year Army commitment.
Most of us knew both.

(The Marine liked to drive around with his dress uniform hanging on the
overhead hook in his car - making it visible through the back window).

When the subject was on Nam for a bit, the Army guy -Chuck- kind of jokingly made a machine gun sound. Our Marine, asked him what service *HE* was in.
Chuck simply said, "Army".

At that our Marine - who I might add never went to Nam - or further than San Diego, says,
"What were you . . . . a cook?"

Chuck said politely, "No, door gunner in a Huey. Shot down twice."

The topic changed.

Fast forward. Chuck had a beautiful girl friend back then. A real sweetheart. She had Melanoma.

When she died from that - the Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome caught up with him. Never was the same again.
Guess it was a -"Semper Fi"- love story.

~
JC
10-9jc is offline   Reply With Quote