Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
2 years ago Lynn and I wanted to buy our grandson a Radio Flyer wagon. About that time there was a news story that the manufacturer was closing their only Radio Flyer plant in Chicago. We search every store from Placerville (except 1) to Sacramento and to Oakland. Same Radio Flyer product same box all 'made in China' Now we do not have anything against China but RADIO FLYER WAGONS ARE AS AMERICAN AS.......and we weren't giving up! Now the happy search ending. We went into Hangtown Hardware in Placerville, the oldest hardware in the west, and by gum they had a few all made IN THE USA! Our grandson got his American made wagon and I kept the box. So there!

Neil and Lynn.
I've driven by that plant a few times being that is only about 10 miles from my house. It's very spooky how silent it is around there now. I believe they still have the corporate mouthpieces and such at the location, but the manufac jobs are now all gone.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Side note, I agree. It's far too late. This needed to be nipped in the bud in the 80s. Problem is if you're not building in Asia and other places that have sub standard living, then your competition is and you are priced out of the market. My 2004 3/4 ton Burb was assembled in Mexico (no UAW concerns there, not happy, get out there are nealy 300 folks in line waiting for your job). Neary all the Apple gear I buy for work has neat little packaging and on it says "Designed by Apple in California". Oddly enough, the manifest that comes with the 60 MacBooks I bought, you can clearly see they just came off a plane from Asia (mostly China) and are in my hands within 24 hours or less of the plane landing.

I just bought some of the new Airport Extremes with the 802.11n a few days ago. About 8 hours before I had it in my hands, the units were in Shanghai, LITERALLY!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
I've HAD IT- HAD IT with all the import crap out there. Just got back from the local Goodyear Store. I was looking for Marathons yup we got 8 of them in stock. Fine I say, where are they made? Well lets look yup all 8 China....Good luck to all you getting new rigs- do the country a favor and refuse delivery until AS puts on some real rubber.
The 14" Marathons that came with my Bambi were made in New Zealand and when I went to Jackson Center to upgrade my axle/brakes/wheels/tires the 15" Marathons they installed were made in Canada.

Not that either of these places are the USA, but they are 1st world countries paying 1st world wages. Airstream was able to get these tires - I don't know if you the consumer can your local dealer to request them.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I don’t agree that one person can’t make a difference. I sleep better at night knowing we, as a family, make every effort to buy American goods. I have nothing but GM products in my driveway. I’ll buy the last damn Chevy that comes off the line if I have to. The Japanese have been very successful marketing the perception of quality. I am not saying they don’t make quality products, they do, but they are no better than what is made here in the US. That being said I see no reason to spend my money overseas when I can get what I need here, usually at a better price, and of comparable quality. Why would you buy foreign goods when you could support your fellow Americans buying US made? I just don’t get it…
I was employed for 10 years by a great old American company, founded in 1846. When I started there in 1995 there were 1400 people employed at that facility. Guess what? They are moving to China, and now there are 200 people left to help close the doors. It “ain’t” no joke. Happens every day. The wealth in this country was created by manufacturing, and has historically supported the middle class. Ask some of the folks I used to work with how they feel about “foreign made” goods. You won’t get a lot of support. We need more nationalism, not less. Go to France, the French are driving primarily Peugeots, the Germans; BMW and Mercedes, the Italians; Fiats, the Japanese; Toyotas. They all understand; “it’s the economy stupid”!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Well I changed out my 1995 marathons this week. Turned out to be a pain. Sometimes I think tire shops make money by accident. Anyway I ended up with Tow Masters from Canada. Supposedly they are a goodyear somethin or other. We'll see, It's gettin worse day by day. I wonder how much chinese crap is in the new trailers. DG
As of January, when I needed a single tire, Greenblat the distributer for Tow master told me the molds had already been shipped to China. There may still be some stock from Canada on the shelves.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bill, I'm a die hard GM fan too, but even my Burb was assembled in Mexico and many GM vehicles are made outside the US and for sure, many of the components that make up the systems that use to be made in the US are now in Thiland, Tiawan, Mexico, China, etc. I can't go to Target and find many items made in the US, less say cleaning products, etc.

I bothers me to no end that Toyota is becoming a player in the big 3, but as I ponder where the $$$ goes, back to Japan, the parent company, I'm reminded of how much in bed we are with everyone in the "global economy". Many of those Toyotas are made here in the US. Honda? They have a trans plant, just down the street from the Airstream Factory and other plants in Ohio. All these places are providing jobs to Americans and these vehicles are made in the US, again with parts and such made both in and out of the US. In the vehicle manufac sector the big question becomes, are the Unions to blame? How much? If foreign car companies can build cars here and sell them, with the same skilled workforces, how can GM and Ford have such a rough go at it lately. Sure products do play a major role, but so do the concessions the UAW and other unions have placed on these places for decades, now IMHO only coming full circle to bite the UAW in the behind.

I fully agree with you in that we should support our own, but my point is that it has become ever that much more difficult to even find anything that is still made here. Even our Airstreams have a multitude of components (newer Airstreams) that are not made here or the parts within, not made here. I had to buy a run capacitor for my outdoor unit to my central air in the house. I could not find the specific GE capacitor (that BTW was made in several different countries) and wound up buying a capacitor that was made in Pakistan. Pissed me off to no avail, but if I wanted A/C this summer, I needed the capacitor, and even if I found the GE unit, the one in the outdoor unit was made in Mexico.

I suppose, like you, there is no purist way to go about it as was the case in the later part of the 20th century. The lines are too blurred by the global economy we find ourselves in. The best I suppose we can hope for is to do our best to support our own as much as we can, understanding that until the 2nd and 3rd world gets closer to the 1st world, the middle class is going to be in for a very rough ride.

As for the tires, I'm in the market soon to replace mine....Marathons seem to be the front runner, but I cringe at what I too will find when I go out there lookin'.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
I don't know about your famous quotes or what they are supposed to mean but lets face it, "made in China" is here to stay.

I have a friend that is native Chinese who frequently visits China.....according to her, EVERY possible thing imaginable is now being manufactured in China and PRICE is the only object! We have done it to ourselves by wanting Walmart in every location and price "shopping"......and I'm not so sure about the American quality either....It will be a long time passing before I buy another American made car!.... QUALITY should be the issue .... NOT price....SO sad...
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I don’t agree that one person can’t make a difference. I sleep better at night knowing we, as a family, make every effort to buy American goods. I have nothing but GM products in my driveway. I’ll buy the last damn Chevy that comes off the line if I have to. The Japanese have been very successful marketing the perception of quality. I am not saying they don’t make quality products, they do, but they are no better than what is made here in the US. That being said I see no reason to spend my money overseas when I can get what I need here, usually at a better price, and of comparable quality. Why would you buy foreign goods when you could support your fellow Americans buying US made? I just don’t get it…
I was employed for 10 years by a great old American company, founded in 1846. When I started there in 1995 there were 1400 people employed at that facility. Guess what? They are moving to China, and now there are 200 people left to help close the doors. It “ain’t” no joke. Happens every day. The wealth in this country was created by manufacturing, and has historically supported the middle class. Ask some of the folks I used to work with how they feel about “foreign made” goods. You won’t get a lot of support. We need more nationalism, not less. Go to France, the French are driving primarily Peugeots, the Germans; BMW and Mercedes, the Italians; Fiats, the Japanese; Toyotas. They all understand; “it’s the economy stupid”!
Unfortunately the people that are the most affected are the ones flocking into the stores that sell the stuff that put them out of business! I live in the heart of the former textile belt. We had a plant near here that made denim for years, in fact it billed itself as the Denim Capitol of the World. At it's peak it employed over 2000 workers, as the textile jobs were shed overseas the local jobs went away. Now the largest employer in that town is Wal-Mart who employs 470 people at about 1/2 the average wage that the plant was paying at the time it closed it's doors 6 years ago. I have seen this repeated ad infinitum in my area. Black and Decker is another one that went from 2500 workers to a closed plant... We basically have only ourselves and our greed to blame for it. As individuals all we can do is make our choices and hope they matter in the long run.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Someone once told me that Wal-Mart buildings are built with the possibility of converting it to subsidized housing. Dunno how true that is, but as for Wal-Mart, Aaron, you hit the nail right on the head. A town we have a cabin in up in the U.P. of MI had lots of ma and pa shops until Wal-Mart came to town. Now, those businesses are all gone.

As for the American car comment Johndigbydog, there is becoming less and less issue with overall quality of the domestics. Having owned Hondas that were made in Japan and Hondas that were made here, in Ohio, I can tell you first hand that the units built in Japan have fewer issues, so the notion that the domestics aren't up to snuff, I'd not fully support because frankly, I know just as many folks that own "foreign" cars (and I use that term loosely as there isn't really a total domestic car anymore) that are built here that aren't any better or worse than say a GM or Ford. One issue the domestics have is an image issue. Of that I'd totally agree.

Back to tires though, I'm about to go out and get a fresh set for the SS today or tomorrow. Next would be the trailer. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Someone once told me that Wal-Mart buildings are built with the possibility of converting it to subsidized housing. Dunno how true that is, but as for Wal-Mart, Aaron, you hit the nail right on the head. A town we have a cabin in up in the U.P. of MI had lots of ma and pa shops until Wal-Mart came to town. Now, those businesses are all gone.
I hadn't heard that one...and somehow I don't think it is true. Most of the abandoned Walmarts sit...abandoned. I know of at least 4 within a 25 mile radius of my house that were closed when the new Super Center was built with in a couple of miles and the building and parking lot just sit there empty. It is my understanding that Walmart's leases won't allow ANY competing business to use their old buildings. It really is a shame when you consider the tax dollars wasted in incentives that Walmart more than likely squeezed out of the community to get itself in there.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I hadn't heard that one...and somehow I don't think it is true. Most of the abandoned Walmarts sit...abandoned. I know of at least 4 within a 25 mile radius of my house that were closed when the new Super Center was built with in a couple of miles and the building and parking lot just sit there empty. It is my understanding that Walmart's leases won't allow ANY competing business to use their old buildings. It really is a shame when you consider the tax dollars wasted in incentives that Walmart more than likely squeezed out of the community to get itself in there.

Aaron
May have been an exp on the one up nort.....

I was told that the plumbing, electrical, etc were put in place in a way making it easy to covert.

Hard to picture an abandoned Wal-Mart.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
May have been an exp on the one up nort.....

I was told that the plumbing, electrical, etc were put in place in a way making it easy to covert.

Hard to picture an abandoned Wal-Mart.
Wanna see pictures What is so sad is that there are 3 empty, boarded up grocery stores in the immediate vicinity and a brand new Super Center a mile up the road What a waste of real estate and tax dollars.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 04-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #27
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
The Wal-Mart story seems a little on the “urban legend” side, guys. I’ve seen Wal-Mart build a store, only to replace it a few years later with a “super” Wal-Mart. This happened in the next town over a few years back. Within a year, the old store was leased to a company called “Big Lots”. That “new” super Wal-Mart has just been replaced by an even bigger one just a few miles away. As far as Wal-Mart putting Mom and Pops out of business, I’ve heard that complaint many times. This is supposedly the reason why they have such a small presence in the Northeast. That may only be urban legend, as well, however.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
The pet food fiasco should become a significant warning about the quality of goods coming from China. Who knows what unregulated "ingredient" could compromise the integrity of other goods--including tires?
And the last Mad Cow scare came from beef slaughtered in Mabton Wa. That caused numerous countries around the world to stop the import of American Beef. Fortunately for the State of Washington no one seemed to stop buying our wine, apples, or airplanes. Speaking of airplanes (being from Seattle) it was just reported that the new 787 has more pre-production orders than any plane in the history of the Boeing Company. Guess who's ordering all those planes? Not the US Carriers, they're almost broke. The lions share of the orders are from asia.

Government is important and one person (one vote) does make a difference. Personally I'd much rather design and build airplanes than have a tire factory near my house. It's easy to forget about the air and water when the polution is in China instead of the US but forcing our government representatives to fight for a level playing field is important and being aware of the issues is our responsibility and we're fortunate to have an open society which will let us do that.

The biggest problem the US auto manufacturers face is the retirement costs for their workers. Say what you will about Unions (I think there's good and bad) but the deals struck were made in good faith given the economics of the time. I'm sure there'd be an outcry of Government Handout but I think something does need to be done to address this. Protecting the retirement income of the workers is the right thing to do and making our domestic manufacturers competitive will probably be the wisest economic investment we can make.

Keeping the governments feet to the fire on working conditions, environmental issues and subsidies is what can make a difference. Recently they announced a nice pork barrel project Patti Murry brought in for Washington State. Free money from the feds to hire workers and buy equipment to make sure none of that pet food coming into the US is hiding a dirty bomb. Sounds good right? I mean free money from the government Mmm, lets see who's really the benificiary here. Goods coming into the US. Cost of importing includes port security. Roll that into the cost of the foreign goods? Heck no, let's give 'em tax dollars

-Bernie