Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87
China/Canadian Marathons ?

I have heard that the China made Marathons are the tires responsible for so many failures and that the ones made in Canada are fine. Is there any truth to this?
We are getting ready to take a 10 day trip and I have noticed a very slight bulge on the sidewall of my center Marathon. Its almost not noticable but it makes me nervouse. Could it be where the sidewall is put together? I am debating on replacing it but Id rather not because Im replacing all of them in the spring. The tires are only 2.5 years old. Is there a way to tell if it was made in China?
__________________

__________________
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 261
Images: 14
It will say on the sidewall where the tire was made.
__________________

__________________
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
I have heard that the China made Marathons are the tires responsible for so many failures and that the ones made in Canada are fine. Is there any truth to this?
We are getting ready to take a 10 day trip and I have noticed a very slight bulge on the sidewall of my center Marathon. Its almost not noticable but it makes me nervouse. Could it be where the sidewall is put together? I am debating on replacing it but Id rather not because Im replacing all of them in the spring. The tires are only 2.5 years old. Is there a way to tell if it was made in China?
My Marathons show dents and bulges as well, and always have, since brand new.
It should be printed on the tires where they were made. I will have to check mine when I get to where the trailer is.
Check tire pressures, and look for uneven thread surface before leaving, that's about the best you can do short of replacing the tires.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the Canadian manufactured Marathon's have also been involved with the reported failures. I don't believe you can arbitrarily say that it's just the Chinese manufactured tires. I've owned 3 trailers with Marathon's all having the bulge that you reported. If you look closely you should see this on every one of your Marathon's. Apparently it is there due to the manufacturing process. I think someone detailed as to what this is in another thread. I'll look and see if I can find it.

I went back and I remember we called it more of a wave than a bulge. The tire sidewall tends to dip inwards and then back out. It's part of the construction process used in building a radial tire. Normally the wave is fairly good size and stretches on the sidewall with one end pointing to the tread, and the other end of the wave pointed towards the wheel itself.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87
All of the tires have the slight inward dent on the sidewall but the center tire has a slight outward bulge that I cant see on the others. HMMM
__________________
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
All of the tires have the slight inward dent on the sidewall but the center tire has a slight outward bulge that I cant see on the others. HMMM
I'd get it checked out then.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87
I just checked my tires and mine were manufactured in Canada.
__________________
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
sander17's Avatar
 
1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 305
Images: 42
I would agree with Jack.
The Marathon that blew out its sidewall on me back in June was made in Canada. Since all the tires were getting a bit "long in the tooth", I replaced the full set.
After reading lots of advice on the forum, I'm trying a set of Maxxis radial trailer tires. We'll see.
__________________
Dave
Okemos, MI
T.V.:'05 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If the tire in question has you concerned at all, rather than risk a an expensive misadventure that tests your driving and stopping skills significantly, or having to change it on a busy road, it might be worth your while to have a tire shop take a quick look at it and give you their opinion.

Personally, I would not chance it. If the tire guy tells me it's just the tire then fine, but otherwise it would bother me the whole trip. But that's just me.

Barry
__________________
Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87
Full Replacement

Ok..... heres the scoop,
I just got back from the tire place where Ive been getting my tires for years. I had them look at the bulge and they said my sidewall is starting to separate. They say it could blow when it gets hot or if I hit a pot hole the wrong way. I was told indetations are fine but any bulge is bad. I decided to bring the rig home, pull the tire and take it back to them figuring I would replace the rest in the spring, Plus Id rather put the Lugs on myself.
Then I decided to run my hands around all the other tires just to see if I could feel anything weird. Three other tires have bulges, difficult to see but easy to feel. I called the tire shop and told them of the bulges that I felt. All need replacing. Im at four now so I may as well replace all 6. They sell Maxxis so thats what im going with. What a bummer! I was hoping to make it till spring. Sounds like Marathons are to be avoided and you should feel your tires as well as look at them.
__________________
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I'm feeling your pain today as I had a glance at my truck tires and one had a weird look to the tread. They were older tires, 5 years or so, and big gnarly tires for getting around regardless of how ugly the rocks and junk are. It would appear that the tread was coming apart.

I whizzed over to the tire shop a couple of minutes away and egad - a look on the inside showed the abuse had taken more of a toll than I'd thought. My buddy used the truck on Saturday to haul a big old 70 Ford station wagon on a trailer and I'm amazed he didn't have at least one tire on the truck blow.

So, a thousand bucks later, the truck is parked on the driveway with new shoes and I've got a smile on my face. We'll see what the love of my wife says when she gets home . I mean, I was forced to do this, right?

Glad you got your tires checked and found the problem now. It's a pain and it sure can bugger up the budget, but better this than finding out the hard way on the highway somewhere. I'll be interested to know what you think of the Maxxis tires after the trip.

Barry
__________________
Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #12
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
Ok..... heres the scoop,
I just got back from the tire place where Ive been getting my tires for years. I had them look at the bulge and they said my sidewall is starting to separate. They say it could blow when it gets hot or if I hit a pot hole the wrong way. I was told indetations are fine but any bulge is bad. I decided to bring the rig home, pull the tire and take it back to them figuring I would replace the rest in the spring, Plus Id rather put the Lugs on myself.
Then I decided to run my hands around all the other tires just to see if I could feel anything weird. Three other tires have bulges, difficult to see but easy to feel. I called the tire shop and told them of the bulges that I felt. All need replacing. Im at four now so I may as well replace all 6. They sell Maxxis so thats what im going with. What a bummer! I was hoping to make it till spring. Sounds like Marathons are to be avoided and you should feel your tires as well as look at them.
Wow, I don't know your mileage or storage conditions but I would have thought you would have gotten one more year on them. My Marathon's will be 5 years old in November and are still going strong. Now I did keep them covered when I was in outside storage and I've been inside for a little less than a year. My plan was to replace prior to my first outing next spring. I sure wish I had a Maxxis dealer or someone who handled them locally.

I can have them shipped but I'd probably pay a king's ransom to have someone mount them for me.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I sure wish I had a Maxxis dealer or someone who handled them locally.

I can have them shipped but I'd probably pay a king's ransom to have someone mount them for me.

Jack
Jack, St, Louis Wholesale Tire sells Maxxis tires. I bought a set for a car hauler a while back.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Wow, I don't know your mileage or storage conditions but I would have thought you would have gotten one more year on them. My Marathon's will be 5 years old in November and are still going strong. Now I did keep them covered when I was in outside storage and I've been inside for a little less than a year. My plan was to replace prior to my first outing next spring. I sure wish I had a Maxxis dealer or someone who handled them locally.

I can have them shipped but I'd probably pay a king's ransom to have someone mount them for me.

Jack
Well, maybe you could research dealers and stop by one who carries them on your next trip. Swap out on the road. Im curious about the 16 inch wheel stuff. I just dont want to spend the bucks now and I wonder how they ride?
__________________

__________________
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodyear Marathon Failures Surman1322 Tires 677 05-03-2011 02:48 AM
180,000 miles on my goodyear marathons! 2airishuman Tires 124 08-06-2010 11:31 PM
Chinese Goodyear Marathons doorgunner Tires 75 07-06-2009 06:22 PM
Any ST trailer tire that gets positive reviews? 63air Tires 13 08-06-2006 03:39 PM
67 trade wind tires? john hd Tires 6 01-15-2003 06:44 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.