Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
Just a few thoughts from lots of reading:
1) Check the COLD tire pressure every morning before departure. ( a tire pressure monitoring system eliminates that hassle, but costs. It is interesting that while towing, the PSI increases after towing only 10+ miles even if you start a little low)
2) Obviously use a reliable gauge.
3) We carry a Home Depot special air compressor.....didn't cost a lot of money, but has way more than enough capacity to increase the PSI in a minute or two..runs off a/c--plugs into the side of the AS- if on shore power- or into a generator. Problem: bulky (but rides in its comfortable home in the bed of the truck)
4)NEVER let air out of a HOT or WARM tire....could ruin the bead / rim interface.
5)Be ready to change out tires every 4-5 years. The older the tire, the more likely it will fail.
6)NEVER use tire "dressing" on the tire if it has petroleum distillates.....causes deterioration of tire-cracking and hardening.
7) Conflict: the only problem we have encountered occurred when traveling this fall in the mountains. The morning temps dipped into the low 40's(tire pressure dropped about 5psi - we run Michelin's with a max of 80psi) and then the daytime temps would rise to the high 70's. I usually start off the morning with the tires at 80psi, but when the temps dropped, I saw that the psi's dropped to 74-75psi. After running 10+miles, the psi's returned to normal at 80psi. I asked several truckers about this issue, and they basically told me that I should not worry, and that the tires that fail are those that are very under-inflated.

Just my .02. Great advice on this thread. Zigi

Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
You could always buy an "Air Pig" - it is is just a portable air tank. You can get one at Harbor Freight or other auto places.

You said that you had a compressor at home, and so you could fill up the "pig" and take it along when you go check on the trailer.

I used to do that whenever we would go to collect our trailer which we store about 15 miles from home just in case I found one tire low.

Now that we have a little Honda gennie, i just throw that + a small 110v compressor in the back of the truck in case I might need it.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
Checked up on "Brutus", the AS today. Temps to dip toward 32 tonight. Fired up the furnace--batteries sustained by a 145W solar panel--and warmed the little guy up to 58 degrees to settle in over night. Didn't winterize because we are planning to use the AS throughout the winter- mostly visiting kids in Calif.

Pulled up to Brutus, activated the tire pressure monitor, found the psi's to be at 73 instead of 80, temps at 39 degrees. Connected the compressor to the genie and aired up in less than ten minutes.

Love the tire pressure monitors. Our "friends" need attention and affection!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My solution is check your tires by eyeball and touch when you stop. Don't buy trailer tires and pay attention. Check tire pressure before you leave on a trip. Flats I have had on cars I see before I get in that something is not right. I lost a tire patch going over a rail road track and I stopped as soon as I heard air escaping from the tire. The tire was fixed and I drove it till it wore out. If you check your tires often and pay attention you will be ok.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Any tire shop on the road should have a hose long enough to add air to your tires. We needed a new valve stem and air and got them both at a Walmart.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
You can also use a 12VDC inflator pump. While it won't work as fast as an AC unit all you need is a cigarette lighter plug for it to work.

FYI -- I have a used one that I'm looking to sell...PM me if interested.
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Air compressors

A friend recommended we purchase a small Warn compressor. We have used it for adjusting tire pressures as well as blowing out water lines for winterizing. It works very well, and quickly for both purposes. It is 12 Volt D.C. so you can hook it up either to the trailer batteries or your tow vehicle. The hose is included and easily reaches 20' so with the lenght of the electrical cables, which just clip onto the battery terminals, it is easy to reach all tires on my 30' trailer. It is small since it does not have a storage tank. As I recall it was about $130.00. Jerry
Jerry, Irene & Clancy
Bandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I always carry this:

Warn 77495 Air-Power SPC On-Board Air Compressor#

I have never had to use it on my own tires, but I inflated a campground neighbor's truck tire from totally flat to over 30 psi in just a couple minutes. As you can see from the link, the prices seem to widely fluctuate, so shop around.

As someone mentioned earlier, tire pressure is not a fixed value. It can vary due to temperature, altitude and weather (barometric pressure). In general, tire pressure gauges are not all that accurate. I have several supposed good gauges that are all somewhat different. I can probably pick 2 that are 10 psi apart without much sorting. That brings up the problem of which is right. Unless you have some sort of a lab, you can't tell. I just looked at few online and it seem like +/- 3psi at 50psi is a pretty good gauge, but even that means that your 65 psi tire may be below 62 or above 68. Now throw in the above variables and the fact you have probably dropped the gauge at least once, who knows what the real value is?

I have a Hawkshead TPMS. The sensors agree with each other within .2 psi at 60-75 psi. According to the manufacturer, each sensor is calibrated in a barometric chamber with laboratory instruments prior to shipping. I rely on their information, although I know they could all be calibrated against the same incorrect standard. I have sensors on the spare tire on the TT and TV. That gives me a total of 10. If I see one tire get away from its preset pressure and I can't visually detect why, I swap the sensors to be sure it is the tire and not the sensor.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote