Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I am also looking at replacing all four tires and have been doing a lot of on-line research regarding tires. Maxxis are not made in the US. In fact it is very hard to find a ST tire that is made in the US. I had heard that Cooper still made ST tires in the US but when I checked with the local distributor, he indicated that Cooper also has most of their ST tires made in China. Both TowMax and TowMaster are also made overseas. Apparently the DOT code on the tire (first two letters) tells you where the tire was made. I can't get Michelins in the size I need (ST215/75/14) or I would go that way. I'm leaning toward Maxxis but am willing to listen to those with more experience RVing. jc

Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
I am also looking at replacing all four tires and have been doing a lot of on-line research regarding tires. Maxxis are not made in the US. In fact it is very hard to find a ST tire that is made in the US. I had heard that Cooper still made ST tires in the US but when I checked with the local distributor, he indicated that Cooper also has most of their ST tires made in China. Both TowMax and TowMaster are also made overseas. Apparently the DOT code on the tire (first two letters) tells you where the tire was made. I can't get Michelins in the size I need (ST215/75/14) or I would go that way. I'm leaning toward Maxxis but am willing to listen to those with more experience RVing. jc
That's true..
Here's an example taken off a WEBSITE.
DOT AC L9 ABC 036
The first two symbols (numbers or letters) which follow DOT indicate the company and plant where a tire was manufactured. The code above describes a tire made by General Tire in Charlotte, NC.
MORE DETAILED USA/CANADA INFO..
Need tires? Buy one of these union-made brands. | International Brotherhood of Boilermakers

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Maxxis is Taiwan built. They've been big into motorcycle tires for quite a few years. My preference to them is the fact that they use a nylon cap that helps minimize belt squirming. That's a concept used by many of the manufacturers in Europe where speeds are much higher. Apparently the American tire companies don't feel that this is needed. I'm not sure whether they figure that their construction techniques are just as good, or whether it's just a matter of ways to maximize profits.

Since we seen a lot of tread separation failures on ST tires, the question is always as to whether we have a situation of excess speed or under inflation. Both can produce heat which in turn encourages separation of the belts. Belt squirm begets more heat so in my view, the cap concept may help the tires run cooler.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"In fact it is very hard to find a ST tire that is made in the US."

Marathons are now made in the US. At least, mine were. About a month ago, I challenged my local Goodyear dealer that if he could Marathons made in the US, I would buy them. He did, and I did. So far... 3,500+ miles later, no problems or pressure loss.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I just had a set of new Marathons put on, after an order of Maxxis failed to come through. The Marathons were built two weeks ago in Alabama if the DOT code is correct (30th week of 2009). I had ordered a set of Maxxis 8008's, but when I got home with the A/S I discovered that I had 4 new "shields", that were build in 2005 (DOT info). Called the dealer and he said the supplier couldn't get the Maxxis and that they were backordered for 90 days so he took the "Shields" as a substitute.. I have never heard of shields and found that unacceptable, so I told him I would accept Marathons as a substitute for the Maxxis. When I checked the DOT code on the Marathons I discvered that they were made the 30th week of 2009, and were made in Alabama. So there is an ST tire that is made in America after all. jc
Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That sounds promising for the Marathons. Please keep us posted on how they do for you.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote