Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 308
Changing Tire Pressure When Changing Load Rating

Can anyone confirm what I am doing below is correct?

I recently put a set of Michelin Defender LTX, E-rated (120) tires on my Toyota Tacoma. The tire shop installed them and set the pressure at the same 34psi as the old tires and placard says.

As soon as I started driving I noticed they had a softer ride and significantly more squirm than the D-rated tires they replaced. The opposite of what I was expecting. Yesterday I hooked up the trailer and took it out for a quick Spring shakedown ride. The squirm was even worse with the extra weight and when I jumped on the highway for a couple miles I felt a bit of sway for the first time ever.

After some research I think I should be running significantly higher pressure in these new E-rated tires than the old D-rated ones. I found a chart online that looks to be the instructions employees of Discount Tire use when selling a customer tires that are a different load rating than the OEM tires.

From the chart, the old D-rated tires (109) with 34psi had a load carrying capacity of 2143. To get the same load carrying capacity in my new E-rated (120) tires I should be at about 50psi. I took the truck out for a spin with 50psi and it was a major improvement.

It would be nice if the tire companies would make inflation charts available. I can't find one for the new tires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Discount+Tire+inflation.pdf (114.1 KB, 26 views)
__________________

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
AirMiles's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Can anyone confirm what I am doing below is correct?

I recently put a set of Michelin Defender LTX, E-rated (120) tires on my Toyota Tacoma. The tire shop installed them and set the pressure at the same 34psi as the old tires and placard says.

As soon as I started driving I noticed they had a softer ride and significantly more squirm than the D-rated tires they replaced. The opposite of what I was expecting. Yesterday I hooked up the trailer and took it out for a quick Spring shakedown ride. The squirm was even worse with the extra weight and when I jumped on the highway for a couple miles I felt a bit of sway for the first time ever.

After some research I think I should be running significantly higher pressure in these new E-rated tires than the old D-rated ones. I found a chart online that looks to be the instructions employees of Discount Tire use when selling a customer tires that are a different load rating than the OEM tires.

From the chart, the old D-rated tires (109) with 34psi had a load carrying capacity of 2143. To get the same load carrying capacity in my new E-rated (120) tires I should be at about 50psi. I took the truck out for a spin with 50psi and it was a major improvement.

It would be nice if the tire companies would make inflation charts available. I can't find one for the new tires.
I have Michelin LTX AT2 E rated tires on my 8,000# F250. My tire placard says to use 60psi front and 65psi rear. I typically run them at 55psi when not loaded to get a nice smooth ride and 65psi when towing to take the squirm out of them. You are using the correct weight table and are fine at 50psi with your lighter truck. Weight tables are not tire brand specific.
__________________

__________________
2017 Flying Cloud 25FB (Miles) 234 nights 31,732 miles
400W Solar, 230AH 6V Batteries, PD4655 Converter, Champion DualFuel Generator, ProPride 1400# Hitch, 16" Michelin's
2019 F250, 6.7 Power Stroke, 4x4, 1.5" Leveled (Sully)
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,831
Blog Entries: 1
Are they the same size tire as the ones they replaced? What were the old tires? It does sound strange. But I expect using the load table is a good idea. Sometimes I think new tread squirms a lot and needs to wear in a little.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 308
Thanks for the responses. Yes, exact same size. The old tires were Firestone Destination le2, light truck tires. It didn't occur to me that a more heavy duty E-rated tire with heavier sidewalls would need more pressure, but I guess that's the case. I'll probably hook the trailer up again tomorrow and see how it feels with the higher pressure.


Bill, I wondered if part of what I was feeling was not the fact that I now have 13/32" of tread compared to the old tire that was down to 4/32" or so.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 308
Just took the rig out for a spin down the highway and all seems fine with the higher pressure. I'm going to get some chalk and do the chalk test to see if I can dial the pressure in even more, but I'm much happier now at 50psi than 34psi. Squirm is gone as is the hint of sway I felt yesterday. Felt steady at 65mph, yesterday felt shaky at 60mph.

If any of the tire experts on here read this post your comments are more than welcome, I don't want to be giving out bad advice. With my lack of expertise in mind I'll say if anyone changes to a higher rated tire you may want to consult the attached pdf to see what pressure you should run in the new tires.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 22' Sport
connelly springs , North Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
It is not the tire manufacturer who is at fault. It is the distributor from whom you purchased the tires and yourself. Typically, E rated tires have a much higher pressure rating. It is printed on the sidewall. Before you purchased the E rated tires you should have done your homework. The distributor that you got your tires from certainly isn't doing his job. He should have explained everything to you before you drove off. I have 10 ply E rated Michelins on my Silverado. I run them at 60 psi around town and 90 psi when towing. Get yourself a good pressure gauge a check your tires often. Good luck.
rustyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyoldman View Post
It is not the tire manufacturer who is at fault. It is the distributor from whom you purchased the tires and yourself. Typically, E rated tires have a much higher pressure rating. It is printed on the sidewall. Before you purchased the E rated tires you should have done your homework. The distributor that you got your tires from certainly isn't doing his job. He should have explained everything to you before you drove off. I have 10 ply E rated Michelins on my Silverado. I run them at 60 psi around town and 90 psi when towing. Get yourself a good pressure gauge a check your tires often. Good luck.
I didn't start this thread to blame anyone for anything, just looking for confirmation that running higher psi is normal in an E-rated tire when switching from a D-rated. I know the sidewalls are stiffer, that's the reason I made the switch. I know it is possible to run higher pressure but did not know it was necessary if the load did not change.

Try doing an internet search on switching from D to E rated and tire pressure, there is surprisingly little out there. As far as Michelin goes, they should publish a load/inflation chart, easy to find, right on their website.

BTW, what E-rated tires do you have that you can inflate to 90psi? I thought the max on E-rated was 80psi?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,831
Blog Entries: 1
E rated tires must have stronger sidewalls to hold the air pressure. I doubt if radial tire sidewalls are really "stiffer" in terms of supporting the load or resisting sideways movement. That "stiffness" would seem to be more of a factor of the tire shape/aspect ratio. But if they are the exact same size then that would be the same also. The way a 75 ratio radial blooms out I just do not see the sidewalls holding anything on their own.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 65
I had the same issue when purchasing Michelin tires from the Ford dealer. They put 38lbs of air in the tires when the side wall says 80psi at max load. I was told by them that everyone runs those truck tires at the lower pressure for better ride. Never have been able to find any type of pressure chart for loads. I now run 70 psi in them when towing the 25'FC and about 50psi when not towing. I carry 70psi in the AS tires all the time as we are never heavily loaded.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
CapriRacer
 
CapriRacer's Avatar
 
I'm in the , US
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 720
Lots of misinformation in this thread.

First, a Toyota Tacoma (Year unknown) came with P metric tires. That will be stated on the vehicle tire placard pasted on the driver's doorframe by the letter "P" in front of the size numbers. Technically, that letter is part of the "size" - though technically it's the "size designation" .

Second, Tire Guides says the spec inflation pressure for a Toyota Tacoma is not 34 psi. Depending on the original tire size (what's on the placard) it could be 29,30, 32, or 33.

Next, Firestone Destination LE2's don't come in Load Range D (LT type). They only come in P metric (That pesky "P" again.)

LT type tires only come in Load Ranges and Michelin Defender LTX's do come in LT sizes (as well as P type sizes.)

As a general rule, in order to carry the same load a P type tire does, an LT type tire with the same dimensions needs about 15 psi more.


The spec inflation pressure (What's on the placard) has NOTHING to do with the load range - except to say that the tire MUST have enough to carry the pressure and the load. Put another way, Load Range D and Load Range E don't have different load carrying abilities at the same pressure (except to say that a LR E can be inflated and loaded higher.)
__________________
CapriRacer

Please visit my website: https://barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Lots of misinformation in this thread.

First, a Toyota Tacoma (Year unknown) came with P metric tires. That will be stated on the vehicle tire placard pasted on the driver's doorframe by the letter "P" in front of the size numbers. Technically, that letter is part of the "size" - though technically it's the "size designation" .

Second, Tire Guides says the spec inflation pressure for a Toyota Tacoma is not 34 psi. Depending on the original tire size (what's on the placard) it could be 29,30, 32, or 33.

Next, Firestone Destination LE2's don't come in Load Range D (LT type). They only come in P metric (That pesky "P" again.)

LT type tires only come in Load Ranges and Michelin Defender LTX's do come in LT sizes (as well as P type sizes.)

As a general rule, in order to carry the same load a P type tire does, an LT type tire with the same dimensions needs about 15 psi more.


The spec inflation pressure (What's on the placard) has NOTHING to do with the load range - except to say that the tire MUST have enough to carry the pressure and the load. Put another way, Load Range D and Load Range E don't have different load carrying abilities at the same pressure (except to say that a LR E can be inflated and loaded higher.)

Thanks for the response. Yes, 32psi is correct according to the placard. I got 34psi stuck in my head because that's what the Toyota dealership puts in every time I've had the vehicle serviced, and have even used that number any time I've added air myself.

With that said though, I noticed when replacing the original tires that they were worn more on the outside than center. Outside was down the 3/32" while center was closer to 5/32" My thinking is towing the AS with 34psi they may have been underinflated a bit. Does that make sense?

Good to know that an additional 15psi is about what I should use. So, the big question is, will I see any benefit in less sidewall flex from the E rated tire vs. the D when run at the appropriate pressure? Clearly the E tires have more capacity than the Tacoma will ever need, so if there's no benefit I'll go back to the OEM spec tires next round.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
Mike from Canmore
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 88
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyoldman View Post
It is not the tire manufacturer who is at fault. It is the distributor from whom you purchased the tires and yourself. Typically, E rated tires have a much higher pressure rating. It is printed on the sidewall. Before you purchased the E rated tires you should have done your homework. The distributor that you got your tires from certainly isn't doing his job. He should have explained everything to you before you drove off. I have 10 ply E rated Michelins on my Silverado. I run them at 60 psi around town and 90 psi when towing. Get yourself a good pressure gauge a check your tires often. Good luck.
Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum pressure allowed for those 10 ply Michelins?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #13
CapriRacer
 
CapriRacer's Avatar
 
I'm in the , US
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum pressure allowed for those 10 ply Michelins?
All LR E tires will have a max pressure of 80 psi. (Yes, that's not quite correct and it's not quite as simple as that, but for the purposes here, it's close enough.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
...… With that said though, I noticed when replacing the original tires that they were worn more on the outside than center. Outside was down the 3/32" while center was closer to 5/32" My thinking is towing the AS with 34psi they may have been underinflated a bit. Does that make sense? ……
That wear pattern is much more likely because the steer tires are scrubbing in the turns. Drive tires tend to wear in the center. So with a RWD, you need to rotate regularly to even out the wear pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
…….Good to know that an additional 15psi is about what I should use. So, the big question is, will I see any benefit in less sidewall flex from the E rated tire vs. the D when run at the appropriate pressure? Clearly the E tires have more capacity than the Tacoma will ever need, so if there's no benefit I'll go back to the OEM spec tires next round.
I am not a fan of replacing P type tires with LT type tires.

Having said that, I think in your case, the real benefit is with the increased inflation pressure
__________________
CapriRacer

Please visit my website: https://barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I'm going to get some chalk and do the chalk test to see if I can dial the pressure in even more...
Would you mind explaining the chalk test? That's something new to me.

Thanks.
__________________

WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow Vehicle Front Tire Pressure with Load Leveling Hitch warmrain Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 15 03-14-2018 02:37 PM
GYM Load rating 113/108 ??? MOS Tires 1 10-25-2016 12:55 PM
Not tire rating, but tire weight boondockdad Tires 9 10-13-2011 01:48 PM
1/2 ton tires- load C to load E John Tires 75 03-20-2009 09:15 AM
What's the correct load rating for tongue jack PetervB Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 5 04-25-2008 08:55 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.