Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I don't remember right off hand but I will try to get you the information. It may be a couple off weeks before I can get back with it as the information is out at my shop some where in the files
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Not sure if I quite understand the problem but I initially had a problem with installing the centramatics. I worked with Jerry and came up with a spacer solution. The Centramatics were the same diameter as my 10" drums and of course the Centramatic could not be reversed or it would hit the rim. I also had to install longer wheel studs because of the spacer. See pics.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Yours appear different

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Not sure if I quite understand the problem ... See pics.

The Centramatics Jerry sold me appear to be larger than what your picture indicates (see attachment).

I've got a PM in to Inland RV In who now sells this product. Hopefully, they sell a version that will work with my offset wheels.

Tom
p.s. I have 12-inch drums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Centramatic2.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	92333  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
The Centramatics Jerry sold me appear to be larger than what your picture indicates (see attachment).

I've got a PM in to Inland RV In who now sells this product. Hopefully, they sell a version that will work with my offset wheels.

Tom
p.s. I have 12-inch drums
Tom.

Is that photo with the silver balancer in it, from your trailer?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Mellowings one thing, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Tom.

Is that photo with the silver balancer in it, from your trailer?

Andy
Yes.

Who exactly are you?

Back in the early days, Andy Rogozinski once set a poster a straight that "it's an Airstream, not a trailer". It struck me that he was absolutley right.

Anyway, I sent a PM to Inland RV Center, In regarding the issue. I'm getting the impression they will not be able to help me with this issue.

Tom
Old 12-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tom.

I have no idea what wheels you have, steel? Aluminum?

You say the wheels are off set, yet they are original.

Airstream never used off set wheels.

I will do my best to help you, but I cannort read between the lines.

That's why I asked you for a photo.

Perhaps an exact description of the wheels you have, would help.

I do not like sending out the wrong parts. I would much rather know exactly what you have, and then perhaps I can properly help you.

You say Centramatic says they do not have a balancer for your Airstream. We have the Centramatic, true, but I must have more detailed information.

UPS makes enough money.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Silverleeeper, The Centramatics I used on my '63 were 200- 221 Specials. My axle is a Henschen from Inland RV and the wheels I believe are original to the trailer. Hope that information helps.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Centramatics for Vintage?

I ordered the:

Centramatic Air Stream # Special 221 6 lug-204

They would not fit over the center hub on my '64 Overlander so I don't know whether there would have been problems with my new Alloy wheels (15" zero offset 2,800 pound trailer rated wheels). I held onto them with the intent of trying them on my '78 Minuet that has the factory stock styled steel wheels. Next spring, the Minuet will be getting new tires so will try this set of Cnetramatics on the Minuet.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I ordered the:
Centramatic Air Stream # Special 221 6 lug-204 ...
Kevin,

I'm sure it's old news, but congratulations on the bump to Moderater status. With your background in education, and willingness to help people, I know you will handle the task well.

When did you order those particular Centramatics? A year ago? Two years?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Kevin,

I'm sure it's old news, but congratulations on the bump to Moderater status. With your background in education, and willingness to help people, I know you will handle the task well.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom.

I have not found any e-mail from you, as you stated above.

Andy
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Kevin,

Thanks,
Tom
Tom.

We had Centramatic create a different balancer.

It's part # is 200-221 Special-A

So far, we have not found anything it will not fit, old or new, as long as the bolt pattern is 6 holes on a 5 1/2 inch bolt circle.

Special wheels that someone may choose to have will not necessarily be able to use this model.

There are way too many different wheels, for a "one fits all" application.

Andy
Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The checkbook's willing, but the body is not

Quote:
Tom.

I have not found any e-mail from you, as you stated above.

Andy
Andy,

My ultimate desire is to have a set of Centramatic Wheel Balancers on my 1967 Airstream Overlander. As I am now apparently getting old & lazy, I simply wanted a vendor with tons of Airstream experience to sell me what my vintage Overlander needs. If shoveling extra money on the task was required, then so be it.

I started our initial discussion with email messages. Then you PMed me and said that your email to me was being blocked, and that I should call you. I then replied to your PM with both the latest news, and my disappointment that your organization did not immediately know which Centramatic product would fit my application.

You replied back to send pictures of the sort that required a whole lot of work on my part.

You then posted that Airstream never used offset wheels. In fairness, I never actually verified my wheels are offset. My Overlander was built in Ohio. Several years ago, I changed the wheels on till’s California-built, 1967 Overlander, and noticed it was much more difficult to get the wheels out of the wheel well than it is on my Overlander. Between that, and Markdoane’s posts on wheel offset, I have high confidence that the source of my trouble with Centramatic wheel balancers is due to wheel offset.

I am 99% sure I have the wheels Airstream put on this American Icon in 1967. Short of a seance, no one will ever know.

In an earlier post, you asked if I had steel or aluminum wheels. I personally find it hard to believe both were an option in 1967. My brochure does not list different wheels options. I think Andy Rogozinsky would have known that.

Inland RV Center In is a wonderful source of parts. I will continue to call the pleasant ladies at the front desk when I know what I need.

In conclusion, don’t expect any email/PM until at least Spring. If, however, Inland RV Center In should figure out which, if any, Centramatic Wheel Balancers will fit my original, Ohio-built, 1967 Airstream Overlander International, I would welcome correspondence. My VISA card is ready.

Tom
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

My ultimate desire is to have a set of Centramatic Wheel Balancers on my 1967 Airstream Overlander. As I am now apparently getting old & lazy, I simply wanted a vendor with tons of Airstream experience to sell me what my vintage Overlander needs. If shoveling extra money on the task was required, then so be it.

I started our initial discussion with email messages. Then you PMed me and said that your email to me was being blocked, and that I should call you. I then replied to your PM with both the latest news, and my disappointment that your organization did not immediately know which Centramatic product would fit my application.

You replied back to send pictures of the sort that required a whole lot of work on my part.

You then posted that Airstream never used offset wheels. In fairness, I never actually verified my wheels are offset. My Overlander was built in Ohio. Several years ago, I changed the wheels on till’s California-built, 1967 Overlander, and noticed it was much more difficult to get the wheels out of the wheel well than it is on my Overlander. Between that, and Markdoane’s posts on wheel offset, I have high confidence that the source of my trouble with Centramatic wheel balancers is due to wheel offset.

I am 99% sure I have the wheels Airstream put on this American Icon in 1967. Short of a seance, no one will ever know.

In an earlier post, you asked if I had steel or aluminum wheels. I personally find it hard to believe both were an option in 1967. My brochure does not list different wheels options. I think Andy Rogozinsky would have known that.

Inland RV Center In is a wonderful source of parts. I will continue to call the pleasant ladies at the front desk when I know what I need.

In conclusion, don’t expect any email/PM until at least Spring. If, however, Inland RV Center In should figure out which, if any, Centramatic Wheel Balancers will fit my original, Ohio-built, 1967 Airstream Overlander International, I would welcome correspondence. My VISA card is ready.

Tom
Tom.

We can send you the Centramatics that fit the original wheels, not a problem.

However, if they don't fit, then simply return them.

Andy
Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Centramatics for Vintage?

Greetings Tom!

Quote:

Thanks,
Tom
I ordered the Centramatics in March of this year . . . as I knew that it was time for new tires and wheels for my Overlander so thought this would be an opportune time to add the Centramatics. I am hoping that I will find that these Centamatics will fit my Minuet . . . .

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Spring has sprung

Quote:
... send pictures of the sort that required a whole lot of work on my part... I never actually verified my wheels are offset. ...
In conclusion, don’t expect any email/PM until at least Spring. ...
My Overlander's tires are now seven years old, and I would feel better replacing them before our next long-distance trip.

The wheels are now off in preparation of new rubber.

Andy - Please refresh my memory as to the dimensions you need to have in order to fit my Overlander with Centramatic wheel balancers.

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3200WP.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	100684  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
My Overlander's tires are now seven years old, and I would feel better replacing them before our next long-distance trip.

The wheels are now off in preparation of new rubber.

Andy - Please refresh my memory as to the dimensions you need to have in order to fit my Overlander with Centramatic wheel balancers.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom.

The back side of the wheel should have a flat surface of 9 inches, or more, for a proper fit.

Andy
Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It will fit, but

Quote:
The back side of the wheel should have a flat surface of 9 inches, or more, for a proper fit.
My Airstream's wheels appear to have more than enough flat surface:

The time was also right to check for wheel offset:

Subtracting the two measurements, and rounding, I would say my Overlander’s wheels are offset one-half inch.

In an effort to cover all bases, a mockup of the balancer InlandRV is selling was made based on their website photo:

I believe their product will work with my offset wheels:

And with my “new” Henschen axles:

InlandRV’s product will fit my application because it is smaller than what Centramatic sells for 15-inch wheels:

The reduced diameter will affect the balancers’ ability to correct out-of-balance conditions. Is InlandRV’s product too small to be effective? I don’t know – Gotta think about this one.

Tom
Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
My Airstream's wheels appear to have more than enough flat surface:

InlandRV’s product will fit my application because it is smaller than what Centramatic sells for 15-inch wheels:

The reduced diameter will affect the balancers’ ability to correct out-of-balance conditions. Is InlandRV’s product too small to be effective? I don’t know – Gotta think about this one.

Tom
Tom

Feedback from customers have been 100 percent positive regarding the effectiveness of the smaller size Centramatic.

And no, Centramatic does not have that special size in their inventory or catalog.

Andy
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #39
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

Tom
'Course there is the old fashioned way. You know, with lead.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
'Course there is the old fashioned way. You know, with lead.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I agree, "BUT", it's a rarety to find a shop that can balance the tire, wheel, hub and drum, as an assembly.

So, you now can balance just the tire and wheel, and say hello to Centramatics.

Solves the issue, permanently.

Andy