Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
For what it's worth, I just mounted my new 16" wheels with the Michelin LT's. Also added Dill TPMS to the four tires. My tire dealer did a road force balance on them, gave me a diagram telling me which wheel went where (LF, LR, RF, RR), I slid on the new Centramatics, then the new tires and wheels. I am READY to roll. The decision to swap out the tires and wheels on my brand new trailer and go with the 16"ers came from reading on this site and the misery of those who've suffered multiple problems with the OE 15" Marathons. I didn't do a cost-benefit analysis, but mitigating risk is priceless as far as I'm concerned --- thus the Road Force balance PLUS the Centramatics. Overkill? Maybe. BUT, maybe not.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Got Pictures?

I'd like to see what wheels you selected and hear more about who you purchased them from.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
For BAB (without even asking) (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I'd like to see what wheels you selected and hear more about who you purchased them from.
I had asked the same thing of BAB and was promptly answered on post 245 of the thread Tires, Tires, Tires. Original PO of that thread is Bob Thompson.
BAB said "Wheels are Tredit 03's (all silver, clear coated), I ordered them directly from Tredit." along with much more info if you want to see it. BAB even has a good pic of the wheels on that same thread.
I then called Tredit and have to tell you, the Texas office has not given me the best buying experience a person could have. PM if you want some details.
But, that said, I ordered the TR4's since the T03's were out of stock. They should get here tomorrow, and I hope the centramatics are close behind.. Already have the tires. Ready to mount and go camping!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
For what it's worth, I just mounted my new 16" wheels with the Michelin LT's. Also added Dill TPMS to the four tires. My tire dealer did a road force balance on them, gave me a diagram telling me which wheel went where (LF, LR, RF, RR), I slid on the new Centramatics, then the new tires and wheels. I am READY to roll. The decision to swap out the tires and wheels on my brand new trailer and go with the 16"ers came from reading on this site and the misery of those who've suffered multiple problems with the OE 15" Marathons. I didn't do a cost-benefit analysis, but mitigating risk is priceless as far as I'm concerned --- thus the Road Force balance PLUS the Centramatics. Overkill? Maybe. BUT, maybe not.
I had another Marathon come into the shop yesterday with a bulge in the sidewall. The trailer has Centramatics on it, but the funny thing is, the round weight-thing with the beads had disappeared on three of them. One of those three was the bulging tire.
I'm glad you got the Michelins and the 16" tires, I think you'll really like them.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I had another Marathon come into the shop yesterday with a bulge in the sidewall. The trailer has Centramatics on it, but the funny thing is, the round weight-thing with the beads had disappeared on three of them. One of those three was the bulging tire.
I'm glad you got the Michelins and the 16" tires, I think you'll really like them.
WOW! how could that happen unless the welds holding the ring to the plate came loose AND the ring opened up, expanded enough to span the diameter of the drum or rotor hub? There's gotta be more to that story?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
WOW! how could that happen unless the welds holding the ring to the plate came loose AND the ring opened up, expanded enough to span the diameter of the drum or rotor hub? There's gotta be more to that story?????
The trailer owner is sending one of them back for failure analysis. I asked him to let me know what they determine. I've never seen it before, and the Centramatic people had never heard of it, either.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The trailer owner is sending one of them back for failure analysis. I asked him to let me know what they determine. I've never seen it before, and the Centramatic people had never heard of it, either.
Keep us informed if you get details, OK?

Was there evidence of the oil from within the ring?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Keep us informed if you get details, OK?

Was there evidence of the oil from within the ring?
I'll post when/if I find out. The inside of the wheels was black with oily dirt. Looks like they fell off, then got ground up by the wheels and non-rotating parts on the brakes. No sign of the ring of weight stuff.
Again, this is the only time I've ever seen this. The trailer has a lot of rough miles on it, several trips to Alaska, for one thing.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sounds like they self destructed.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Could it have been done by some narsty li'l person, as some kind of sick joke?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Sounds like they self destructed.
That's absolutely impossible.

Andy
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have my tire/wheel assemblies spin balanced and mainly have Centramatics because trailer drums aren't balanced.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Could it have been done by some narsty li'l person, as some kind of sick joke?
Anything's possible, of course. I just can't imagine anybody diabolical enough to jack up the trailer, pull off three wheels, rip apart the weight ring, and put everything back together as a joke.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That's absolutely impossible.

Andy
Um....corrosion releasing the rings....and then them bouncing around the hub or drum till they just come apart and self destruct.