Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master
 
BAB's Avatar

 
2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,574
For what it's worth, I just mounted my new 16" wheels with the Michelin LT's. Also added Dill TPMS to the four tires. My tire dealer did a road force balance on them, gave me a diagram telling me which wheel went where (LF, LR, RF, RR), I slid on the new Centramatics, then the new tires and wheels. I am READY to roll. The decision to swap out the tires and wheels on my brand new trailer and go with the 16"ers came from reading on this site and the misery of those who've suffered multiple problems with the OE 15" Marathons. I didn't do a cost-benefit analysis, but mitigating risk is priceless as far as I'm concerned --- thus the Road Force balance PLUS the Centramatics. Overkill? Maybe. BUT, maybe not.
__________________

__________________
_________________
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Alumaholic's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,751
Images: 33
Got Pictures?

I'd like to see what wheels you selected and hear more about who you purchased them from.
__________________

__________________
Ken L
1966 Tradewind 24
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
casa3805's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 869
Images: 41
For BAB (without even asking) (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I'd like to see what wheels you selected and hear more about who you purchased them from.
I had asked the same thing of BAB and was promptly answered on post 245 of the thread Tires, Tires, Tires. Original PO of that thread is Bob Thompson.
BAB said "Wheels are Tredit 03's (all silver, clear coated), I ordered them directly from Tredit." along with much more info if you want to see it. BAB even has a good pic of the wheels on that same thread.
I then called Tredit and have to tell you, the Texas office has not given me the best buying experience a person could have. PM if you want some details.
But, that said, I ordered the TR4's since the T03's were out of stock. They should get here tomorrow, and I hope the centramatics are close behind.. Already have the tires. Ready to mount and go camping!
__________________
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
For what it's worth, I just mounted my new 16" wheels with the Michelin LT's. Also added Dill TPMS to the four tires. My tire dealer did a road force balance on them, gave me a diagram telling me which wheel went where (LF, LR, RF, RR), I slid on the new Centramatics, then the new tires and wheels. I am READY to roll. The decision to swap out the tires and wheels on my brand new trailer and go with the 16"ers came from reading on this site and the misery of those who've suffered multiple problems with the OE 15" Marathons. I didn't do a cost-benefit analysis, but mitigating risk is priceless as far as I'm concerned --- thus the Road Force balance PLUS the Centramatics. Overkill? Maybe. BUT, maybe not.
I had another Marathon come into the shop yesterday with a bulge in the sidewall. The trailer has Centramatics on it, but the funny thing is, the round weight-thing with the beads had disappeared on three of them. One of those three was the bulging tire.
I'm glad you got the Michelins and the 16" tires, I think you'll really like them.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I had another Marathon come into the shop yesterday with a bulge in the sidewall. The trailer has Centramatics on it, but the funny thing is, the round weight-thing with the beads had disappeared on three of them. One of those three was the bulging tire.
I'm glad you got the Michelins and the 16" tires, I think you'll really like them.
WOW! how could that happen unless the welds holding the ring to the plate came loose AND the ring opened up, expanded enough to span the diameter of the drum or rotor hub? There's gotta be more to that story?????
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
WOW! how could that happen unless the welds holding the ring to the plate came loose AND the ring opened up, expanded enough to span the diameter of the drum or rotor hub? There's gotta be more to that story?????
The trailer owner is sending one of them back for failure analysis. I asked him to let me know what they determine. I've never seen it before, and the Centramatic people had never heard of it, either.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The trailer owner is sending one of them back for failure analysis. I asked him to let me know what they determine. I've never seen it before, and the Centramatic people had never heard of it, either.
Keep us informed if you get details, OK?

Was there evidence of the oil from within the ring?
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Keep us informed if you get details, OK?

Was there evidence of the oil from within the ring?
I'll post when/if I find out. The inside of the wheels was black with oily dirt. Looks like they fell off, then got ground up by the wheels and non-rotating parts on the brakes. No sign of the ring of weight stuff.
Again, this is the only time I've ever seen this. The trailer has a lot of rough miles on it, several trips to Alaska, for one thing.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Sounds like they self destructed.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #24
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
Could it have been done by some narsty li'l person, as some kind of sick joke?
__________________
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Sounds like they self destructed.
That's absolutely impossible.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,271
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Hi, I have my tire/wheel assemblies spin balanced and mainly have Centramatics because trailer drums aren't balanced.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Could it have been done by some narsty li'l person, as some kind of sick joke?
Anything's possible, of course. I just can't imagine anybody diabolical enough to jack up the trailer, pull off three wheels, rip apart the weight ring, and put everything back together as a joke.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That's absolutely impossible.

Andy
Um....corrosion releasing the rings....and then them bouncing around the hub or drum till they just come apart and self destruct.
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excella is full of Surprises! Mr & Mrs S 1993 Excella 1000 195 09-26-2014 10:41 PM
Centramatics for 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB wlanford Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 14 08-25-2011 10:06 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.