Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Centramatic Questions

OK, so I have ordered the standard change outs to 16" LTX M/S2's, T03 rims and Centramatics. I have looked on the Centrmatics web site and don't find any description of installation. I have read some accounts of needing to install before airing the tire. Where does one install on the wheel? I also read where some also balance normally and still add the Centramatics. Not sure how this is done if the Centrmatics are installed before airing. In addition, has anyone installed them on their TV? I am thinking of doing this also. Did anyone pack their bearings since they had all of the wheels off? Thanks in advance.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Centramic wheel balancers are placed on the lug bolts before you place each wheel on the lug bolts.
In other works, the wheel balancers are sandwiched between each brake drum and each wheel after the tire/wheel assembly has been balanced.
Of course this is a great time to service wheel bearings if they are due.
Hope this helps!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Installation is very simple...See this Frequently Asked Questions page on the Centramatics website for information. The Centramatics align with the lug bolts and fit between the wheels and the hubs.

Ours were installed with inflated tires and we did not rebalanced our tires after installation. We have not put them on our tow vehicle, but here's no reason you can't.

We pack the bearings on a regular maintenance schedule, but if it's convenient and your bearings are about due for packing, go ahead and repack them.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I did balance my wheel/tire combination before installing with Centramatics....probably overkill, but sometimes trailer brake/hub components are waaaaaay out of balance compared to automotive stuff.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Pap,
Here are the installation instructions that came with my Centramatic Balancers that were part of my axle package. They may answer many of your questions. I’m not sure I understand the illustration for item 5 but I’m working on it. It will be interesting to see if the guy that mounts my tires knows about the “guide ribs” mentioned in item 6.
For others viewing this thread that has these installed let us know how well you think they work for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Centramatic Instructions.pdf (903.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm sure they work fine...I had a pair on a van about 15 years ago that had a vibration I could never figure out. Put CMs on the front only and vibration gone.
It's just kind of good insurance, since you can't feel any vibrations going on in the trailer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
When I went from the 15" to 16" wheels and LT tires, I had the wheels road force balanced once the tires were mounted....then installed the Centramatics when I bolted on the new wheels. I have no experience without them, but after 10 trips and 7,000 miles, I have ZERO wear on the tires and the tow is solid as a rock.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Centramatics

I Installed a set on my '72 Excella w/stock mag wheels and they would only install one way without interference.Weight side in.So it was a no brainer.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy got her Centramatic Balancers when she got her new 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires about 2 1/2 years ago at Jackson Center. I had purchased the Centramatics on-line and brought them with us to Jackson Center. The balancers were installed directly behind Lucy's new wheels and tires. The tire and wheel combinations were already mounted, inflated, and balanced when installed.

Lucy is now approaching 40,000 miles on her 16" Michelins. They show virtually no wear. I have not rotated these tires and do not plan to do so. At the rate these tires are going, they will time out long before they wear out even with our relatively heavy road use.

The pictures show the new tires and wheels on the day of installation and the current tread depth after nearly 40,000 miles. I wish that my tow vehicle tires did this well.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5723.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	178936   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01759.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	178937  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Centramatic balancers.

The "ONLY" negative thing one can say about Centramatic balancers, is that they are not "free".

But..............they are very reasonable.

And..............do a fantastic job.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have similar results as MooseTags, except with 16-inch Michelin XPS Ribs (and Centramatics). Two years and about 25,000 miles on them, and the tires look almost new with hardly any wear. I will replace them at 7 years, and I know they will still have lots of tread left. However, the expense was worth it; because we no longer worry about tire failures.

Note: Extra cost was more easily justified, because of single axle on our 19-foot Bambi.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Sadly, not for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The "ONLY" negative thing one can say about Centramatic balancers, is that they are not "free".

But..............they are very reasonable.

And..............do a fantastic job.

Andy
BUT we just got back from the Florida State Rally in Sarasota and had the opportunity to go to the seminar on the Dexter axel, bearings and brake. The axel comes with either regular bearings for most but for a few years it came with NEVERLUBE bearings. According to Glenn, the main instructor who teaches all mechanics for the Dexter axel around the country, it is imperative on the Neverlube bearings that there be ZERO offset. After lengthy personal conversations with Glenn, my husband went right out to our 2006 Classic 31, and took the Centramatics off. He brought them in to show Glenn that they were only about 1/16" offset, but Glenn was adamant- that bearing requires ZERO offset, so we have a set of centramatics that will work fine for other bearings, but not for us.
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
BUT we just got back from the Florida State Rally in Sarasota and had the opportunity to go to the seminar on the Dexter axel, bearings and brake. The axel comes with either regular bearings for most but for a few years it came with NEVERLUBE bearings. According to Glenn, the main instructor who teaches all mechanics for the Dexter axel around the country, it is imperative on the Neverlube bearings that there be ZERO offset. After lengthy personal conversations with Glenn, my husband went right out to our 2006 Classic 31, and took the Centramatics off. He brought them in to show Glenn that they were only about 1/16" offset, but Glenn was adamant- that bearing requires ZERO offset, so we have a set of centramatics that will work fine for other bearings, but not for us.
Hmmmmmm, anyone with Nevr-lubes had any bearing failures after Centramatics? I haven't experienced, or heard of any....but I only have about 5000 miles on my AS after Centramatic install.