Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #141
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
Sure you can. If your wheels are spoked aluminum you won't be able to see through them as the metal pan of the Centramatics blocks the view. One cool modification is to take the Centramatics off, clean them with a good solvent or denatured alcohol and then paint them flat black with a heat resistant type paint or epoxy. The spokes of your wheels will show much better. Good luck and happy trails.
The "specials" that we have made, are indeed painted "flat black".

In that way, they do not distract the looks of the mag wheels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #142
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks ZoominC6 I will check it out today.
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok here is the assembly with all the pieces there. As you can see it fits.

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/AS...r-assembly.pdf

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #144
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
zoominC6 I checked it out and I have them. Thanks again for the information. Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I just checked the Centramatics that I bought recently direct from centramatic. The face that you see through the wheels is finshed in a black wrinkle finish.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
It's great that Centramatics now pre-finishes the units in black as I would imagine their finish would be much more durable than our homemade solution.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have Centramatic balancers on my pickup truck and recently I had to have them warrantied. The Centramatic folks do back up their warranty which is good.
The truck seemed to be having an annoying vibration while out on the highway at speeds over 60 mph and was really bad around 70 mph. On a hunch I took off the Centramatics and found that on 3 of them the balancing material inside the ring did not make any noise. The truck drove very smoothly thereafter. I have the new warrantied balancers but I have not installed them yet. After talking to the Centramatic folks I don't think this is a very common problem. I think there was a time several years ago when the sealer they used went bad. Apparently they have changed sealers since then.

Something to think about anytime you have a tire dismounted is to make sure the Centramatics make the proper "noise" when you spin the hub.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #148
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks for posting this, Steve. Will make sure I hear the "swishing" sound next time I spin a wheel!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
No kidding. Thanks Steve! I purchased ours back in '05 or '06 so will check that out as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, could you see evidence that the oil had all leaked out. I have heard of that in a few cases before.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Will they fit the Dexter axle with drum brakes? A friend has a 6-lug Dexter axle...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #152
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Will they fit the Dexter axle with drum brakes? A friend has a 6-lug Dexter axle...
Fitting the drum, is not the issue.

Yes, they will fit.

BUT.....the shape of the back side of the wheel, can cause a problem.

The back side of the wheel, must have a minimum of a 10 inch flat circle.

If it does, as all the steel wheels do, then no problem.

If the trailer has Mag wheels, then the back side must be checked.

Andy
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Joshua Texas? Jeeze!!!! You are about 20 miles from the factory store. Call 'em....ask 'em....go over there! They install for free.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member

i just had new tires installed at discount tire. i had wanted them to put on the centramatics i had bought for my bambi bu the manager shared that 1. with properly road force balanced tires they should not be needed. 2.that there was concern about the centramatic plate against the wheel and that particles could get between and possibly cause the lugs to need to be torqued every hundred miles. the the aluminum wheels were made to fit directly against the thing (drum?) with nothing in between no matter how thin for the ultimate fit and functioning. i got scared of course and deferred the installation until i could get some feed back on these thoughts. i have not heard responses by folks saying that the lugs were loosening in such a frequent way. the discount tire manager just was not feeling in was a wise thing. i can have them put on when i finally go to have the axle serviced. i know i can be a scaredy cat but is what this manager says correct? any help welcome.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Road force balancing while the best method to balance a tire and wheel, does not take into consideration an out of balance brake drum. The centramatics balance the whole rotating mass not just the wheel and tire.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgrls View Post
i just had new tires installed at discount tire. i had wanted them to put on the centramatics i had bought for my bambi bu the manager shared that 1. with properly road force balanced tires they should not be needed. 2.that there was concern about the centramatic plate against the wheel and that particles could get between and possibly cause the lugs to need to be torqued every hundred miles. the the aluminum wheels were made to fit directly against the thing (drum?) with nothing in between no matter how thin for the ultimate fit and functioning. i got scared of course and deferred the installation until i could get some feed back on these thoughts. i have not heard responses by folks saying that the lugs were loosening in such a frequent way. the discount tire manager just was not feeling in was a wise thing. i can have them put on when i finally go to have the axle serviced. i know i can be a scaredy cat but is what this manager says correct? any help welcome.
I have never had the lug nuts loosen after one retorque a few hundred miles after a rotation. Make certain the hub face, the centramatics, and the wheel are clean.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We've had our Centramatics on since 2004 and we also have aluminum wheels. We are careful to check our lug nuts with a torque wrench before and after each trip which I feel is a good practice. We've never had a problem. Good question however. Happy trails!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #158
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgrls View Post
Your discount tire store manager has grossly mislead you.

First of all, the Centamatic plate rests against the drum.

Two, he obviously knows nothing about an Airstream, it's suspension system or it's design.

If the aluminum wheels have a minimum of a 10 inch flat surface on the back side, the Centramatic will fit correctly.

Third, if any dirt got on to the balancer, it will get off the same way it got on.

Fourth, if what he says was true, then when we get a rock in a tire, everything goes to kapot?? NOT!!!

Lugs always get loose, WHEN they are not properly torqued.

Install the Centramatics, and the next time you need tires, ask the opinion of those that are familiar with what your doing, and not a stranger to technolgy.

Andy
Old 03-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #159
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Never a problem since using Centramatics—no loose lugnuts.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Same here. Centramatics for last 15,000 miles, and no loose lug nuts.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote