Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

This is an old thread. I see just above that I commented on DynaBeads relative to whether they would be affected by tire plugs used for fixing flats. Today, I don't have to speculate, I know that tire plugs have no effect on my trailer with DynaBeads. This is because I had two nails (caught by my PressurePro low-pressure alarm before they became flats) that I repaired on the road with plugs on a long trip in April 08. The effect of the plugs on tire balance was not detected by me. As I noted in an answer above, the amount of glued area represented by the plug is quite small compared with the many beads rotating in the tire. So, if any beads were caught by the glue, it wasn't enough to cause a problem.

The reason I began using DynaBeads on my trailer is because the set of Centramatics sent me by the factory did not fit the wheels.

To answer the most recent question, I never did find what Centramatic number would fit my 67 International. However, I didn't send the Centramatics back because, fortunately, they fit my Jeep Wranger. The jeep was having what is commonly called the Death Wobble among Wrangler enthusiasts, and the Centramatics reduced this problem by keeping my tires and wheels well balanced. However, when I tried to remove the original wheel weights after installing the Centramatics, the wobble problem came back, so I replaced the lead weights and kept the Centramatics. This seems to have greatly improved my Jeep's problem.

So, I'm using both DynaBeads on my Airstream and Centramatics on my Jeep. I am sold on the idea of continuous balance of the rotating wheel.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #58
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post well Balanced

Thanks for the follow-up

Michael

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Airstreamer67,
Hour death wobble on the Wrangler is probably coming worn tie rods, steering damper or ball joints. I would have doubts whether or not the Centramatics could fix the "death wobble" problem.
I have these on a 1986 pickup with old school Saginaw steering though most of the components are new. I will admit that the Centramatics do help with the truck steering straighter down the road.
You may need to have someone look at the steering components.

So why did the Centramatics not fit your 67 trailer? Lug spacing? Rim spacing? Look back in the thread and you can see the pains that I went through to get them to fit. I had to use longer studs and a wheel spacer.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
A great product we've been using for five years ever since we discovered that 18 wheelers had been using them and that the factory was located just a few miles from our home at the time in Texas. We towed our baby to the factory and had them installed by workers on site. Good people with a good product.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Centramatics.

Hi, I finally ordered a set of Centramatics for my Safari. They arrived yesterday [05-06-09] and I installed them today. [05-07-09] With my wheels and drum brakes they will fit in both directions, offset ring inside or outside. I decided to install the with the offset ring towards the brake drum leaving the Centramatics stamp readable for the outside. But with the wheel installed, it blocks the stamp so you can't see it. We are taking a trip next week, but I don't think I will be able to feel any difference. Knowing that the brake drums are not balanced from the factory and with my Centramatics installed, I will feel better just knowing it has to be better even if only a little bit since I will never know how far out of balance my drums are. Price was right and service was good, I'm happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449 (Large).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	79891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453 (Large).JPG
Views:	138
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	79892  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450 (Large).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	79893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454 (Large).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	79894  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Colleyville , Texas
Hey Robert. Does Centramatics now paint/powdercoat the units black or did you do that yourself? We painted ours to obtain the look you show with your photos. When the wheels are mounted they certainly look better.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #63
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
Hey Robert. Does Centramatics now paint/powdercoat the units black or did you do that yourself? We painted ours to obtain the look you show with your photos. When the wheels are mounted they certainly look better.
The Centramatic balancers that we ship out, are painted black.

All a person needs to do, is to install them, and be "happy."

Andy
Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Colleyville , Texas
Andy, I should have known. There's nothing quite like really detailed, service minded Airstream dealers! All those "Left Coasters" must be happy to have you.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #65
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Will be installing them when I get out to the trailer in a few weeks. Should have these in place as well as my deep pan trans cover by the Midwest Rally to see how things behave.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Crispyboy, I just saw your post from a month ago. To answer your question, I don't remember why the Centramatics didn't fit my 1967 International. It's been a couple of years ago. I think the bolt pattern was OK, but the spacing was off. I should have tried to insert some spacers like you, but didn't know about that. I think the ones they sent me just didn't fit flat on the wheel, disallowing my ability to tighten them properly. Anyway, they fit the Jeep, and the DynaBeads are working very well on the trailer, so all is well.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
Can anyone tell me more about this brake drum/balance issue..? To me it sounds like we would remove the brake drums and take them to a Machine Shop and have them balanced...is it not this simple..? Quality E rated Tire/Drums Balanced/Centramatics, Life is good....yes..?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufarmer View Post
Can anyone tell me more about this brake drum/balance issue..? To me it sounds like we would remove the brake drums and take them to a Machine Shop and have them balanced...is it not this simple..? Quality E rated Tire/Drums Balanced/Centramatics, Life is good....yes..?
I don't agree with the "Quality E rated tire" but yes to the rest.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #69
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufarmer View Post
If you have 6 lug drums, you remove the tire and wheel, slip the Centramatics on the lugs, and then remount the tire and wheel.

It's done, no more, no less.

No need to have the drums balanced unless you may have some from the 60's.

Andy
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The Centramatic balancers that we ship out, are painted black.

Andy
Mine are natural aluminum, not black, and I got them from Andy. Are they a special version and worth more?

I have towed with them for 5,000 miles and can't feel any difference. Tire wear on the trailer tires seemed to be a little less than before Centramatics, but the difference is too little for me to be sure.

Gene