Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Bath , New York
Carlisle tires

Time to replace the tires on our 2007 20 foot safari.Have been looking at carlisle st 225/75d15 lrd 8 ply with a load capacity of 2540 lbs.Does any one have any experiences or reviews on this tire.

Thanks Tom
upstatetrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Hello, upstatetrout. I love upstate New York! Beautiful place to visit. Spent time in the Kingston area when I was a kid. I have relatives in Buffalo and in the far west corner of the state near Sherman, Westfield, and Ripley. If I had tons of money, I'd have a summer home in that area, overlooking Lake Erie.

Here is what you are going to hear in answer to your question:

1. Yes they are fine, I run them all the time.
  2. Had them, blew out all the time.
  3. Convert to 16" rims and Michelins.
(hide and watch )
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Tom, I had a good laugh when I read Paul and Gina's response. How true.

I had Carlisles on my SOB and did have a blowout but I think that was more the fault of the trailer manufacturer than the tire itself. They put underrated tires, or ones that just barely met specs, on their units to cut costs. It was overloaded from the get go.

Unless you like to drive at 70+ you should be just fine with the lrd choice. My second issue is that you buy from a reputable dealer who will stand behind their products. Cutting corners when purchasing tires isn't a good thing to do.

That said, be ready now for those who have larger coaches, live in very hot climes and like to drive really fast suggest upgrading everything to LT tires. A good decision for them but not automatically a good decision for the rest of us.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I've had mine for two years and they are fine. Local dealer said they were being built in a new factory and were designed for the southwest and high temperatures. Must be true as I haven't come across anybody who had problems with them.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Just put a set on my FC. 0 miles on them so no problems yet :-)
They replaced an off brand set with great tread but 8 years old with minor sidewall cracking. FWIW the Carlisles are rated for more load (2500 lb) than the Michelin LT tires I was considering.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
My initial reply was the first thing that popped in my head... some humor mixed with some truth.

My serious opinion is: I bet that they would be good, as long as you are within the stated limits of the tires, and operate accordingly. I'd go overboard on the ratings, if possible, as opposed to just barely fitting the requirements of your trailer.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Carlisle Tires

I know from talking with friends in our unit that they used to be pretty bad tires (lots of blowouts and resulting damage), but Discount says they have been redesigned, and are now good.

However, I don't know anyone who has owned or used the newer model tires long enough to give a definitive verdict.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .put the 'new' Carlisle tires on my FC 28, but don't have many miles since. I'll let y'all know more when I get back from Alaska ! (10k miles) regards, Craig
Old 04-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Carlisle Industries sold its 'Transportation Products' division to American Industrial Partners in Dec 2013. American Industrial Partners then operated the business as CTP Transportation Products (www.carlisletransportationproeucts.com) during 2014. Ownership morphed again in late 2014 and the new holding company, who now operates CTP (headquartered in Franklin, Tn), is The Carlstar Group LLC. The Carlstar Group is transitioning production to the Americas as fast as financially viable. Some tire products are already being made in North America using 'unused capacity in domestic tire manufacturing plants.'

If you choose Carlisle, it may worthwhile to double check the manufacturing date/place to avoid older inventory stock which was made in China.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post

Here is what you are going to hear in answer to your question:

1. Yes they are fine, I run them all the time.
  2. Had them, blew out all the time.
  3. Convert to 16" rims and Michelins.
(hide and watch )
ok, I get it ! This a multiple choice pop quiz. I choose "3" as the correct answer
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Carlisle Industries sold its 'Transportation Products' division to American Industrial Partners in Dec 2013. American Industrial Partners then operated the business as CTP Transportation Products (www.carlisletransportationproeucts.com) during 2014. Ownership morphed again in late 2014 and the new holding company, who now operates CTP (headquartered in Franklin, Tn), is The Carlstar Group LLC. The Carlstar Group is transitioning production to the Americas as fast as financially viable. Some tire products are already being made in North America using 'unused capacity in domestic tire manufacturing plants.'

If you choose Carlisle, it may worthwhile to double check the manufacturing date/place to avoid older inventory stock which was made in China.
Don't know how fast all of this has taken place, and how relevant my data is to this discussion, but I have a pair of the Carlisle's on my Casita, bought last February, and they were built in China.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
This is true of ANY brand of tire you buy.... I have Goodyear Wrangler SRA's on my RAm and when Discount replaced them they specifically assured me that they would install a set made only in USA....not Canada or Mexico...where the same model tire is also produced.
(I watched them completely replace another customers Wranglers of which two were made in Canada and two in Mexico... the same size imprinted on the sidewalls... but at least a 1/2" of difference in tread width!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Carlisles are 1/4th good; Well my trailer came with Goodyear Marathons made in Canada. At about three years, I replaced two of them due to sidewall bubbles. [one each] Those tires were replaced with Chinese Marathons. At seven years, during our Alaska trip, One of my Canadian Marathons started to separate and was replaced with a Chinese Marathon. Weeks later the last original tire started to separate and the only tire available at the time was a Carlisle. So, now, I have been running on three Chinese Marathons and one Carlisle with no problems. My trailer is now over ten years old so I have some time and mileage on my three Chinese Marathons and one Carlisle.

Funny how my tire problems were from Canada, not China.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote