Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Carlisle tire failures

Cant seem to get post through,Sorry if its doubled.I just read 19 severe carlisle st radial failures some multiple,Most resulting in significant damage.I have never made a worthwhile purchase without research,so how could I have been so irresponsible to put this on our AS that directly affects my family and others.Should I remove my st225/75r15's asap or is this all normal tire feedback like read on marathons.Or are they truely trash.Does anyone else use these.I haven't found much here about them Mabey thats my answer there.Thanks Robert

Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
No Carlisles for me

I had Carlisles on both my Scamp and my TrailManor. I had multiple tire failures on both trailers, both sidewall bubbles and tread separations.

The worst failure was a blowout at highway speed that wiped out my dump plumbing on the TrailManor. The tire wrapped around the plumbing and nearly tore the toilet off its mounts. The sandwich trailer floor was deformed and I could never get the toilet to mount properly after that.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello betro ,

my feeling is to read and be informed as you have and go with a tire that
has the best ratings for trailer towing and good results .There are other
very good tires available ,I like the greenball Bias and the Herculese Bias ,
but you probably want a radial .Look for a radial that has the best overall
quality rating ,and reliability most important .Id look at the other brand makers also .

Scott
Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Quess who makes some Carlisles?

We have a friend that had Carlisle blowout on a new tire and wipe out the wheel well, dump valve etc. Once Carlisle was contacted they passed the buck on to Goodyear who manufactured the tire. Goodyear paid $4500 to repair the damage to the Airstream. So if you have a blowout and trailer damage, keep the bad tire for if you try to make a claim you need the tire. This was 3 years ago.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Hello Everyone,I spent three hours reading the tire forum last night.It seems like anything that I may have mounted up has a chance of failure due to owners fault or tire fault.How depressing.After much thought I have decided on TRACKS,and to camp in the driveway so I dont endanger Mine and everyone elses family within a 5000' radius of me while traveling.I will stick w/what I have this season and mabey change tires w/new axles next year.Thankyou and everyone have a blessed holiday.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Makes you wonder if there is truely any tire you can run with few problems lately.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I've not had any problems with my BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's in over 25,000 miles (and that is per tire, not all 4 combined), nor have I heard of anyone having problems with them. It does necessitate going to 16" wheels. On other forums, many dissatisfied Marathon and Carlisle tire users are switching to 16" wheels and Michelin XPS Rib tires with exceptional results. Perhaps other users of the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's and Michelin XPS Rib's can comment on their success or lack thereof.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Sorry forgot,As the motto goes we have alot riding on them.These are what I think I'll retro fit on the safari,No sidewall problems here.NOTE I am not making a joke of this very serious issue I am just very leary now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 019.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	30042  
Old 12-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I had a Carlisle blowout on my '77 Excella 500 and it seemed to take out much of the sidewall and very little tread. The tires were purchased at the same time and had a little over 1,000 or so miles on them when that one tire blew. This is in contrast to the Goodyear Marathon C rated tires which came on the '86 Sovereign I purchased in April of 2004. Those tires have over 5,000 miles on them and were one to two years old when I bought the trailer. Next year I will change over to aluminum rims, D rated tires and probably Centramatic balancers.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Carlisle Tires

Have been running Carlisle tires for about two years. Probably 8,000 miles on them without any problem.
Dan
Old 12-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
BF Goodrich Commercial T/As

Bob
I was only able to put 2300 miles on my trailer this year due to my daughter getting married(and the preplanning etc) and sholder surgery, however, the tires have been in place (BF Goodrich Commercial T/As LT225/75R16s load range D) since March and havent even needed additional topping off (did not lose pressure). Additionally because the tires were mounted on the new wheels at Costco, nitrogen was used to inflate them.
I run 65 PSI.
CAT scale weight, 6300 lbs on axles, 850 lbs tongue weight (portable scale).
Beginner
Old 12-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
It does indeed seem to be that the commercial T/A on 16s is the way to go .
all heavier trailers used for commercial use have 16s .It also seems likely that
the tires are just not quite up to the task of handling the weight and the
speed and heating on the road for that matter .The bias tire ,while not
as smooth as a radial ,certainly has the plys and toughness to them due
primarily to the construction of the tire .It would be good if the tire manafactures could construct a 3 ply sidewall for the ST radial to give it
some strength there .a common theme with the marathon and carliles is
the sidewalls have the bulges or bubble or other separations ,and not
necessarily the tread itself ,although Im not saying they don't have the tread separation .Im thinking that some conversation with the tire manafactures
could maybe get this in play .I know beginner has been hard at it to try to get some resolve on this with the tire folks firsthand, and is making some progress as well .

Scott
Old 12-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Carlisle Tire Failures

bertro
I think that CAT has a top speed of about 25 mph. At that speed I really believe the ST tire would perform superbly.
Beginner
Old 12-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
St tires removed

Well everyone thanks for all the advice.Just from reading mine and all the other post regarding the problems w/radials I removed my new st tires and went back to the 7.00x15LT bias 8 ply.I stayed w/carlisle and added steel high pressure valve stems.And they added 3oz of equal balancing media to each tire.I hope mabey this will help any running gear issues.I guess weight is an issue for tires so I'll ask here and hope I dont get spanked.I seen a down load that told AS weights by year and model.And I cant find it now,does anyone Know. Thanks again Robert