Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Carlisle Load Range E

I am replacing my 4 year old GYMs 225/75R15 . They have no miles on them and they are load range D.

Discount says they have a Load Range E Carlisle trailer tires in the same size.

Are these a good choice given that I am staying with my 15 inch rims?

Thanks
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I switched from load range D GYM's to load range E 15" tires and feel it was a worth while thing to do. I might be applying false logic but I felt that the extra margin between actual load versus max capacity might make for a more reliable tire. I believe ours were called
Powermax - I got them from Jackson Centre while having work done there.

We had no real problem with them although of course they are an ST tire and other than Maxxis tires you never see much good written about any ST tires, including Carlisle.

For some reason ours wore quickly - the wear pattern looked like under inflation although I did run them at around 60psi and had a TPMS.

After about 14,000 miles, they were due for replacement - I felt I should have gotten quite a bit more than that.

I tried to find a set of Maxxis Load range E tires as replacements to give them a try but could not get them in Canada.

Had I been able to buy them, that is what I would have done and you may want to check into Maxxis they mostly get prett decent reviews for an ST tire.

For my part, since I could not get the Maxxis, I decided to go join the 16" Michelin LT tire gang and that is what I just put on our trailer.

First long trip coming up in Feb., so we'll see how they work out!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tires.

The steel wheels that Airstream uses are rated at 2600 pounds each.

Load range "D" tires are rated at 2540 pounds each.

Load range "E" tires are rated at 3420 pounds each, according to our records.

Why use atire tht has a far greater weight rating, than the wheel itself?

Seems to me to be a waste of money, or spend more money for higher rated steel wheels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post
I am replacing my 4 year old GYMs 225/75R15 . They have no miles on them and they are load range D.

Discount says they have a Load Range E Carlisle trailer tires in the same size.

Are these a good choice given that I am staying with my 15 inch rims?

Thanks
I'm sorry, but this question is begging to be asked. If your 4 year old tires have no mileage, why do they need to be replaced? If they have no mileage, that must mean you don't move the trailer. If that is the case why would the tires matter? I know that all of this is none of my business, but curiosity got the best of me.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
I'm running the Carlisle tires. I got the load range E because D wasn't available with the short timeline I had.

Very happy with them, mostly they sit, but last spring took on a 3500 mile trip to Grand Canyon and back with no problems.

I personally wouldn't replace tires either just because they're 4 years old, unless they have had a tendancy to go flat because they'll then have started cracks. Just visually inspect and if they look like they're starting to dry out and rot or crack, err on the side of safety and get new.

Edit: The extra load rating usually means stiffer side wall, and less cushy ride for the AS, but with my old beast and shot axles I can't tell the difference.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
To add to what Andy said, the aluminum wheels have a load limit of 2,200 lbs. Look into the 15" LT tires.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I run on nothing but Carlisle. I also prefer bias tires. As a business owner, I love the aluminum rims. They keep me flush with body work since they like to fly off...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
If your 4 year old tires have no mileage, why do they need to be replaced? If they have no mileage, that must mean you don't move the trailer. If that is the case why would the tires matter?
Ken
I travel a lot. I just bought the 27FB in August. I am worried about the tires because they pretty much sat in one place for 3 plus years. That and all the spooky posts here about GYMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Its a 27FB Classic with a GVW of 10,000#. I hope it doesn't have 2200# wheels on it. I don't think they are steel. They are very pretty and shiny.

Also, what happens to a wheel? How do they fail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
To add to what Andy said, the aluminum wheels have a load limit of 2,200 lbs. Look into the 15" LT tires.
I am not trying to save money on tires. What do the LTs have that the STs don't - and visa versa.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The steel wheels that Airstream uses are rated at 2600 pounds each.

Load range "D" tires are rated at 2540 pounds each.

Load range "E" tires are rated at 3420 pounds each, according to our records.

Seems to me to be a waste of money, or spend more money for higher rated steel wheels.

Andy
It has been reported that tires loose 30% of their strength by the time they are 5 years old, so at 5 years that 3420 lb rated tire will only be as strong as a 2394 lb rated tire and the rim will still be at 2600 lb.

No doubt some of the strength loss is considered into the rating but how much?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
I am not trying to save money on tires. What do the LTs have that the STs don't - and visa versa.
One difference is that since ST tires are not aloud to be used on vehicles that carry passengers they are not held to as high a standard as LT tires that are used on vehicles that carry passengers. Part of that standard seems to be a much higher number of failures are aloud without a recall.

Another difference is that most ST tires are rated to max out at 65 mph.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
I travel a lot. I just bought the 27FB in August. I am worried about the tires because they pretty much sat in one place for 3 plus years. That and all the spooky posts here about GYMs.
Instead of letting your mind go to what is the wiorse thing that might happen take the trailer to a reliable professional and get an opinion. The person will be able to visually inspect the tires and see things that you may have not noticed. And none of us here will ever see.

Tell the entire story and wait for the opinion from the professional. Sounds like you are willing to spend money if there is an issue, find out if there is an issue first. You can alway sspend the money on new tires if you want to at a later point.

Do tires have problems? Sure. Are the most dramatic problems posted here? You bet, it's human nature. Does that mean your situation warrents band new tires? Maybe. And you could reduce the risk by replacing the tires before every trip. However that is a bit over the top and replacing 3 1/2 to 4 year old tires may be a bit premature. Get a tire professional opinion. Some one that has been in the business for a long time, seen a lot of conditions and knows trailers and is ethical.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
The ST225/75R15E is rated at 2830# at 80 psi.

BA
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I pulled the wheels, two at at time and drove them into Discount Tire. Here are some things I learned.

My 15 inch wheels are rated at 2880# with the six hole pattern it has. Also stamped on the back are 2540# with a five hole pattern and 2160# with a 4 hole pattern.

Discount Tire considers the Carliles to be a better, more sophisticated tire then the Maxxis. The Maxxis is $30 more per tire.

They had to call their technical expert to answer this question, but they say I can run less air pressure (70# rather than 80#) in the new load range E Carliles and get the same ride as the Load Range D GYMs. With no damage to the tire as long as I don't overload it.

Not cheap at $645 with lifetime ballence and full replacement for ANY reason so long as there is tread.

Edited to add: They also said there was no doubt that I should change a tire that was 4 years old and had been sitting outside with weight on it without rolling much. There was no outward signs at all, but he said they would appear quickly on a hot day at high speed.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I put on Carlisle load range E tires a few years ago on the recommendation of Discount Tire, as did some of my friends. We all had numerous failures. Trouble with the LR E tires is that they will really tear up the side of the trailer if they shed a tread and all of us had failures. I was lucky in that I had no damage due to my alarm, but several friends had to replace plumbing and aluminum to the tune of thousands of dollars. I now run 16" Michelins.

Before the Carlisles, I had Maxxi load range E tires on the trailer. Every Maxxi I ever had suffered eventually from slipped belts, alough I had no damage since I caught the failures as soon as the tires started to look like bicycle tires and replaced them.

No more ST tires for me. If it is not rated to carry humans, I don't want it on my trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just put 2610 miles on my Carlisle running the cruise control set at 75mph. That makes about 9800 miles on this set. They still look new. I run them at 50psi. I guess my history is different then others. The last set had about 45k on them after 5 years. They have since gone into being used for recoveries. Only about 4500 miles on them since then.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I put on Carlisle load range E tires a few years ago on the recommendation of Discount Tire, as did some of my friends. We all had numerous failures. Trouble with the LR E tires is that they will really tear up the side of the trailer if they shed a tread and all of us had failures. I was lucky in that I had no damage due to my alarm, but several friends had to replace plumbing and aluminum to the tune of thousands of dollars. I now run 16" Michelins.

Before the Carlisles, I had Maxxi load range E tires on the trailer. Every Maxxi I ever had suffered eventually from slipped belts, alough I had no damage since I caught the failures as soon as the tires started to look like bicycle tires and replaced them.

No more ST tires for me. If it is not rated to carry humans, I don't want it on my trailer.
X2, One of my load range E Carlyses blew up, leaving me to change a tire by the side of the road in 100 heat.
During their short life, the E rated tires beat the ##** out of me with their rough ride.
ST tires + hot weather + long freeway trip = blowout, count on it.
I changed to P rated extra load tires in the appropriate load range. No worries about blowouts and a nice smooth ride at 50 pounds inflation.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that the 27FB Classic has a published GVW of 9,000 pounds but uses the same two 5,000 pound rated axles of the 31' Classics. The real useful load of the Classic 27FB over the FC or International 27FB models is around 800 pounds due to the over 800 pounds of Hickory installed in the Classic.

The 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels used by Airstream are rated 3,580 pounds at 80 psi. The Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires are rated 2,680 pounds @ 80 psi. So the week link in the Classic suspension chain is the axle rated at 5,000 pounds.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
We blew out our Carlisle st after less than8000 miles and just a month over the 2 yr warranty.also went to michilins. Yes on damage to wheel well and skin.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote