Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just put 2610 miles on my Carlisle running the cruise control set at 75mph. That makes about 9800 miles on this set. They still look new. I run them at 50psi. I guess my history is different then others. The last set had about 45k on them after 5 years. They have since gone into being used for recoveries. Only about 4500 miles on them since then.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I put on Carlisle load range E tires a few years ago on the recommendation of Discount Tire, as did some of my friends. We all had numerous failures. Trouble with the LR E tires is that they will really tear up the side of the trailer if they shed a tread and all of us had failures. I was lucky in that I had no damage due to my alarm, but several friends had to replace plumbing and aluminum to the tune of thousands of dollars. I now run 16" Michelins.

Before the Carlisles, I had Maxxi load range E tires on the trailer. Every Maxxi I ever had suffered eventually from slipped belts, alough I had no damage since I caught the failures as soon as the tires started to look like bicycle tires and replaced them.

No more ST tires for me. If it is not rated to carry humans, I don't want it on my trailer.
X2, One of my load range E Carlyses blew up, leaving me to change a tire by the side of the road in 100 heat.
During their short life, the E rated tires beat the ##** out of me with their rough ride.
ST tires + hot weather + long freeway trip = blowout, count on it.
I changed to P rated extra load tires in the appropriate load range. No worries about blowouts and a nice smooth ride at 50 pounds inflation.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that the 27FB Classic has a published GVW of 9,000 pounds but uses the same two 5,000 pound rated axles of the 31' Classics. The real useful load of the Classic 27FB over the FC or International 27FB models is around 800 pounds due to the over 800 pounds of Hickory installed in the Classic.

The 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels used by Airstream are rated 3,580 pounds at 80 psi. The Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires are rated 2,680 pounds @ 80 psi. So the week link in the Classic suspension chain is the axle rated at 5,000 pounds.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
We blew out our Carlisle st after less than8000 miles and just a month over the 2 yr warranty.also went to michilins. Yes on damage to wheel well and skin.

'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote