Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
How about these:
http://recstuff.com/TR600-HighPressu...me-sleeve.aspx

The valve stems that came with my 2012 Intl are way to flexible - it's hard to get a good seal on the gauge when checking tire pressure. Plus, these should look much better on aluminum wheels.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
As a tire engineer I am suggesting that tandem axle trailers run the inflation associated with the tire max load. This will help decrease the interply shear forces caused by the axles not "pointing" to the center of the circle whenever you make a turn.
This side force greatly increases the forces between the belts that are trying to tear the tire apart.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Interesting: The old tires were 35 PSI max

One other tidbit I was told today by a ranger where we were camping is that I don't need to carry a spare trailer tire at all. Rather, he says, if a tire fails on a dual axle Airstream, just remove the failed tire, and keep driving, as the axle will stay in place even without a tire at one end, and the other tire on that side can support the weight.

Much as I'd love to leave my leftover 35 PSI spare trailer tire behind on our next trip, I wonder if that's actually good advice?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
One other tidbit I was told today by a ranger where we were camping is that I don't need to carry a spare trailer tire at all. Rather, he says, if a tire fails on a dual axle Airstream, just remove the failed tire, and keep driving, as the axle will stay in place even without a tire at one end, and the other tire on that side can support the weight.

Much as I'd love to leave my leftover 35 PSI spare trailer tire behind on our next trip, I wonder if that's actually good advice?
I would consider the source.

A Park Ranger would be an expert in nature and the park rules, but won't necessarily know anything about trailers and tires. He's probably repeating something he heard and never bothered to think it through.

His advice is TERRIBLE. The load on the tires hasn't changed, so the remaining tires would be overloaded by a bunch. If you succeeded in making it home without a tire failure, then your likely to have one later - even after you fix the problem. Tires don't forget.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
I believe in the Airstream owners manual it states that on dual and triple axle trailers you can travel up to a 100 miles with one tire flat but advises not to exceed 35 mph.

So the Ranger knows his stuff.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
I believe in the Airstream owners manual it states that on dual and triple axle trailers you can travel up to a 100 miles with one tire flat but advises not to exceed 35 mph.

So the Ranger knows his stuff.
Sorry, but even at 35 mph, the tires are overloaded.

According to The Tire and Rim Association, operating at 35 mph only increases the load carrying capacity by 24%.

Besides, the Ranger didn't pass on that supplemental information to our poster - and that was VITAL information - even though it is wrong.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The spare is important for the off road types as well. If one gets stuck with no trees around, bury the spare with a chain attached and hook to it as a pull point. Repeat as necessary. If this needs to be done several times, the user will be well qualified to work at a cemetery...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Switz- when you owened your 25FB would you have installed the 16"LT had you kept it?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
No, I would not have installed the Michelin LT 225/75R16E tires and Sendel T03-66655T wheels on our 25FB International Serenity as the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires I did install are more than adequate with a 22% safety margin at a lower pressure (50psi) and I was able to use the factory wheels.

The jump from a 7,300 pound GVW for the 25FB International to a 9,000 pound GVW for the 27FB Classic precludes the use of the 15" Michelins as even their sidewall rating of 2,183 pounds (not the derated number of 1,984 pounds) would actually be exceeded if the trailer were fully loaded. The numbers for the 16" tires and wheels work out to about a 22% safety margin for the 27FB as well.

I am considering acquiring access to two four wheel portable scale sets to see the actual numbers on both the TV and TT both connected and disconnected. Using the scales, I will be able to manipulate my load for the best balance fore and aft as well as side to side and have knowledge of the actual tire loads.

That equipment will also illustrate whether weight distribution is really happening because my truck's Kelderman level ride air suspension is capable of masking a visual clue of where the weight is being carried since the vehicle stays level regardless of load both front to back and side to side.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
The Park Ranger does not have a clue. While it may be possible to move your TT with a tire missing you are doing internal structural damage to the other tires.

Depending on your loading you are certainly seriously overloading one and may be overloading the other three tires. While they may not fail at once you have certainly consumed much of their design life so you should plan on one or more failures in the upcoming weeks and months.

CapriRacer is correct and even Airstream is wrong when they suggest 35mph would be an acceptable adjustment. The speed reduction only addresses the heat but not the strain levels. Theoretically to handle only 85% overload you must run no faster than 5 mph to avoid heat failure.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
BA

On edit I went back and looked at the specs for your trailer. It came equipped with 7:00 x 15" rims fitted with 8 ply nylon tubeless tires. I'm hoping Capri Races can provide us with the load capacity for those tires.
7.0x15 is a rim dimension so all we know is the bead diameter.

What was the original tire size? If it was 8 Ply Rating it most likely was a Light Truck type tire with "LT" part of the size. It might also be a Truck-Bus tire like a 7.0015TR.
Just too many options to start guessing.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
I'll try never to let the total weight exceed 4,500#, as that is the maximum rating for my tow vehicle.

as each tire can hold 2540# at that pressure, and I'll never need it to hold more than 1125#,
-MrJim
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Sorry, but even at 35 mph, the tires are overloaded.

According to The Tire and Rim Association, operating at 35 mph only increases the load carrying capacity by 24%.

Besides, the Ranger didn't pass on that supplemental information to our poster - and that was VITAL information - even though it is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The Park Ranger does not have a clue. While it may be possible to move your TT with a tire missing you are doing internal structural damage to the other tires.

Depending on your loading you are certainly seriously overloading one and may be overloading the other three tires. While they may not fail at once you have certainly consumed much of their design life so you should plan on one or more failures in the upcoming weeks and months.

CapriRacer is correct and even Airstream is wrong when they suggest 35mph would be an acceptable adjustment. The speed reduction only addresses the heat but not the strain levels. Theoretically to handle only 85% overload you must run no faster than 5 mph to avoid heat failure.
I don't really agree that the remaining tire would be overloaded for the OP.

With a trailer weight of 4500lb, minus 500lb tongue weight leaves 2000lb on each side with tires rated to carry 2540lb each.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Then I guess Airstream is wrong ?

Airstream told me that's the reason spare tire carriers aren't standard equipment on double and triple axle trailers.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Umm...I believe carriers are, maybe it's the tires that are optional, our 25' had both.

Also had metal VS.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS STUFF 012.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	193853   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07909.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	193854  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote