Old 12-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Buying new tires

I ordered some tires for the TV as the tire store had none in stock. When they get them in I'll be checking the mgf. dates on those tires and I'm wondering how old of a new tire I should accept. I'm thinking 3 months would be the limit.
The tire shop is getting them from other stores around the US to fill the order.
Any thoughts?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
More to the point - what tires are you buying?
Off brand inexpensive from China? or American or European made name brand tire. Michlen (SP?) tires I bought stated they were good for 10 years. The Goodyear ST Marathon tires most would not use past 5 years - lots of delaminating. Whether they've been on a boat to America and in a warehouse for 3 or 4 months seems not the main issue.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I just went through this and I requested the more recent manufacture. The best they could do was the 22nd week of this year. Some stores will do this and found most won't even try for you.
Good luck whatever you decide to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Silver,
The tires I ordered are the Michelin XPS Rib. I think they come from France.

subfan, Thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Buying new tires

The same manufacturing lot number would be of most use. Manufacture at any time the past year is good enough.

I had tire failure of a set of Michelins and was offered a new set for next to nothing as replacement. Less than a half hour from my call to retailer from side of highway for that approval to happen.

These four tires of same group. 80k miles but with less than 5/32s of wear. First set were replaced at 120k with 4/32s remaining. I was on course for 175k with second set at wear rate even though I would not have achieved such in time remaining.

Would have been fun to run out to 295k miles or so on just two sets of tires.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Silver,
The tires I ordered are the Michelin XPS Rib. I think they come from France.

subfan, Thanks for the info.

And why are you running the XPS on the TV? Will you run enough miles to have them retreaded? Or are you running same tire on TT as well? I'd sure like to, but 17s are too big for TT wheel wells.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Michelin XPS Ribs are available in size 225/75x16 (same as Michelin LTX M/S2's that most people buy when switching to 16" wheels and LT tires). We have XPS Ribs on our 2005 19' Bambi. However, one should note that in this size, XPS Ribs cost about $90-100 more per tire than the LTX M/S2.

XPS Ribs are designed for high mileage, high vehicle load use in summer weather. While they performed well on our Bambi while once towing in blizzard conditions, I would not use them on a tow vehicle's drive axles in subfreezing weather, as the tread is similar to a grooved racing slick. See tread comparison photos at link below:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1485434
Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just so everyone knows.

For practical purposes, properly stored tires last a pretty long time. I know a tire manufacturer who use 3 years as a limit.

I am also aware that it takes 6 weeks from the time a tire is manufactured until it reaches a tire shop's storage (under normal circumstances).

So I tend to think that 3 months is way unreasonable.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Additional note:

We bought our XPS Ribs at a local Discount Tire (DT) store. The tires were special ordered from their local warehouse/distributor, and were available the following day. However, installation was delayed about a week, awaiting delivery of the Sendel T02's (16" wheels) that DT also special ordered for us.

FYI, our XPS Ribs were manufactured in Germany; and they were only a couple of months old.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
And why are you running the XPS on the TV? Will you run enough miles to have them retreaded? Or are you running same tire on TT as well? I'd sure like to, but 17s are too big for TT wheel wells.
Well, I'm changing everything over at this time to the XPS. I changed from the 15" rims to 16's and have them ready to mount on the trailer. Those tires were mgf. in Germany, so I suspect the TV tires will come from there as well.
I know I said France in an earlier post but I checked on the sidewall for that info, so for sure it's Germany.,
The wheels on my TV are 16's too. But, I'm changing tire size on all of them back to original size as when the truck was new. A few years ago I opted to go with wider and taller tires on the TV. I had to add a spacer between the dually wheels so they would not rub. Now I've changed my mind and don't want to use the spacers since some shops won't mess with them for tire rotations, brakes, etc.. The spacers are a machined steel part and worked well but I'm getting to the point that I want someone else to rotate the tires instead of me.
What I will end up with is a trailer that is taller and a truck that is lower by a couple of inches. Next step will be adjustng the hitch to compensate for these changes on the tires and wheels.

I plan to put many miles on both the trailer and truck in the upcoming few years and just wanted to buy a couple of good reliable sets of tires.

I probably won't get them retreaded as those things run like iron and I doubt I could run them bald. I plan to use these tires for a long time. The last set of XPS's lasted me 9 years (no cracking) and they are still going strong and I will retire them to my utility trailer and may still get a couple more years out of them around town.
Now to sell my aluminum 15"s off the trailer when I get the chance.
I forgot to say that even though I will have 16" tires on everything they will be different profiles and won't be able to be switched from one to the other anyway.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Got a call this afternoon that the tv tires have arrived at the tire shop. I asked the clerk to check the mgf. dates and low and behold they were mgf'd in 2011. I refused them and asked the mgr. to order me ones with a better date. He made some phone calls and Michelin will ship them to him in three weeks.
I wouldn't mind if they were made mid 2014 but 2011 is a little too old.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Just so everyone knows.

For practical purposes, properly stored tires last a pretty long time. I know a tire manufacturer who use 3 years as a limit.

I am also aware that it takes 6 weeks from the time a tire is manufactured until it reaches a tire shop's storage (under normal circumstances).

So I tend to think that 3 months is way unreasonable.
Your probably right. I now have a more open mind about the mgf. dates.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Well, I'm changing everything over at this time to the XPS. I changed from the 15" rims to 16's and have them ready to mount on the trailer. Those tires were mgf. in Germany, so I suspect the TV tires will come from there as well.
I know I said France in an earlier post but I checked on the sidewall for that info, so for sure it's Germany.,
The wheels on my TV are 16's too. But, I'm changing tire size on all of them back to original size as when the truck was new. A few years ago I opted to go with wider and taller tires on the TV. I had to add a spacer between the dually wheels so they would not rub. Now I've changed my mind and don't want to use the spacers since some shops won't mess with them for tire rotations, brakes, etc.. The spacers are a machined steel part and worked well but I'm getting to the point that I want someone else to rotate the tires instead of me.
What I will end up with is a trailer that is taller and a truck that is lower by a couple of inches. Next step will be adjustng the hitch to compensate for these changes on the tires and wheels.

I plan to put many miles on both the trailer and truck in the upcoming few years and just wanted to buy a couple of good reliable sets of tires.

I probably won't get them retreaded as those things run like iron and I doubt I could run them bald. I plan to use these tires for a long time. The last set of XPS's lasted me 9 years (no cracking) and they are still going strong and I will retire them to my utility trailer and may still get a couple more years out of them around town.
Now to sell my aluminum 15"s off the trailer when I get the chance.
I forgot to say that even though I will have 16" tires on everything they will be different profiles and won't be able to be switched from one to the other anyway.

Thanks. With ten tires-- and sometimes more on a combined rig --the idea of sharing same between vehicles has an attraction.

Didn't know you'd run the XPS before so appreciate the insight/experience.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Albuquerque , New Mexico
How do you determine when the tire was manufactured?