Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Blowout in Boston

Well our original Marathons on our 2007 Safari had lots of tread, but the right rear had a blowout as we got on Mass. 290 heading North to Maine. As we rocked on the roadside, we were grateful for Good Sam who came in 15 min. and put on our spare. The tires had about 15000 total miles (our 2 years of travel combined with the 1st owners one year.) Now I assume we should replace all 4 tires since they don't seem trustworthy anymore. We have always kept tire pressure at 65, and have a tire pressure monitor on them (which didn't give any warning). Does anyone have a recommendation for our next set? Thanks for any help making that decision. Mary Jane
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
I know what I'm about to say will not set well with those who are "married" to the Marathons, but my luck with these tires has not been good at all. Regardless of my monitoring the pressure, load and speed, I've had two sets of GYM give out prematurely: one on my Argosy, one on my boat trailer. Both were due to tread separation after less than 1000 miles. After talking to a few tire dealers (Discount, Tire Rack, etc.), I've concluded that the GYM is not as reliable as many on this forum would argue. Personally, my hands are washed with Goodyear Marathons.

Currently, I am running Carlisles on the Argo (almost 5 years with absolutely NO issues!) & just put a new set of Kumho 857 (Load D) on my boat trailer. Not sure if that helps, but it's only one man's experience.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have a 2005 25FB, and had the same experience with the OEM Marathons. We had our first blowout with about 12,000 miles. We replaced the blown tire with another new Marathon. Within the next 2,000 miles on the same trip, Lucy blew two more of her Marathons. We replaced them all with Maxxis E's. The first set of Maxxis went 28,000 miles when we noticed some tread separation. We replaced them with another set of Maxxis E's. We run them at 72 psi. Lucy has now covered almost 50,000 miles on Maxxis E's. They have worked well for us and have not torn Lucy up or popped a single rivet. I would never buy another Marathon.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I would never buy another Marathon.

Brian
Ditto, Brian. I've heard some pretty good things about the tires you're running. I may check those out when it's time to replace those Carlisles.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Rig Walk-a-round, Do You Do It?

Dear Dad was a trucker, he did rig walk-a-rounds routinely.
At fuel, food and/or rest stops he did a walk around, touched bearing covers and tire walls, thumped the tread. I do not know about tire thumping, I guess it was the inside tire.
He got me involved, made it fun.
Be safe, accidents happen.
Sometimes being a checker means not smelling the rubber or is that roses?
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just think—when do you hear about blowouts anymore except on trailer tires, and for the most part, Marathons? Some people go with Maxxis. We bought 16" wheels and put Michelin LTX tires on (don't come in the right size for the OEM wheels). There is at least one thread on whether to replace 15" wheels and tires with 16"—try to search for them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have heard that Jackson Center is offering a 16" wheel/LT tire retrofit for $250 per wheel/tire. I am seriously considering doing this for Lucy's next set of tires. LT tires are really easy to find and last a long time without problems. Like you said, Gene, you never hear of a blowout on modern tires, except ST's.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
...Like you said, Gene, you never hear of a blowout on modern tires, except ST's.
really?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...art-25929.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...bad-52107.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f479...age-57616.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I just posted the following on another thread. No more GYM for me.

I replaced my GYM with Carlilies load range E from Discount Tire. I have them on my SOB hunting trailer double axle and they perform very well. I have also had problems with Goodyears on my cars. I will not buy another Goodyear. Airstream Life is doing an article this fall on load range E instead of D. Should be interesting what their research concludes. The following was my experience.

04 Goodyear Marathons - a near disaster!

Just got back from a 1000 mile trip to southern KY and on the way south I had a tire blow up on my 65 vintage Safari. It was very scary when I looked in the side mirror and saw the tire go - smoke and all. They are 8 year old Goodyear Marathons load range D. The tread let loose from the tire. I was able to move to side of the xpress way just as the tire let go and dropped down to the skid rod. Wow! am I glad the skid rod is there. No damage ! Put on spare and made it into Dayton, Ohio and replace both tires with load range E and inflated (diferent brand) to 65 lbs. (max is 80). My recommendation is to update tires sooner than 8 years or you might have to go through my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0815.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	108782  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the tire information - it's pretty sad that a reliable trailer tire can't be manufactured - you would think that there is enough volume to make it worthwhile. From our forum response I'm sure that we are not replacing with the Marathon tire, will check out Carlisle and Maxxis. Hope we don't blow another tire on the way home - running the spare.
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, really. I didn't say you never hear about blowouts on modern tires, but not very often. The first link is about LT Michelins and sidewall problems, not tread separation, as I understand it, but still a bummer. The second link is about Firestone tires and we have heard a lot about them—Ford Exploders. The third link is about bias ply tires. Two of three links are problems Zep has had.

My conclusions:

1. Anything can happen, even with modern radial LT tires made by my favorite tire company.

2. Bias ply tires are uncommon and should not be lumped in with "modern" tires.

3. I decided to stay away from Firestones during the Exploder tire debacle, but I decided that beforehand too.

4. You'll hear a lot about Marathon failures either because they are OEM's in recent years, or because they are bad tires. A lot of vintage owners post here and not all have Marathons (because the OEM tires are no longer available or significantly different), and enough recent model owners have switched to alternatives, so it still seems to me that there are a proportionately large number of Marathon failures, but I recognize until someone wants to do peer reviewed research, everything is subject to guessing.

5. Zep shouldn't drive anywhere because he is in perpetual danger of tire failure (67% of links posted above), or at least 'til he puts that wine glass down.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Castle Rock , Colorado
More Marathon Blow outs

We just got back from a 5600 mile trip during which we had two blow outs on less than 20,000 mi OEM Marathons. We were traveling at highway speeds, it was hot (95-105) and the tires totally failed without warning. We luckily got off the highway on the rims safely both times but the tires damaged both wheel wells, one seriously. We had good tire pressure and with less than 4000 lb load felt that we didn't need to run at the 65 lb max. (Airstream manual is unclear on this) The tires were checked at every stop and felt and looked fine. We didn't save the carcasses and I just checked what we have now: the tire bought at an independent dealer in Tenn. is made in USA and the one bought at Walmart in IL is made in China. After reading all the threads on this forum, I wonder if I should throw both new tires away and start over. Also I don't know if I should be running at 55, 60 or 65 lbs.
Any suggestions?
CloudDancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
_

. , .
underinflation=bad stuff

inflate to 65 psi
maintain 65 psi
YaskwHy 65 psi.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Cloud...listen to 2air and others: INFLATE TO MAX PSI (posted on the tire's sidewall) and KEEP IT THERE! Poorly manufactured tires like the Marathon will blow regardless of the good maintenance you do. Trust me...I have the remnants of TWO SETS lodged in my travel memories. Yes, any tire can go bad at any time. But, poorly made tires go bad more often.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
marco island , Florida
i went through 4 marathons...and a total of 8 tires(replace all tires as 1 blew)...before i wised up and talked with reputable tire company....the marathons are underrated for a 25 ft classic...ie they are borderline...if the trailer is not "perfectly" level..ie not out more than 1/2 inch from front to rear...then you will have problems with marathons or any tire rated the same...i went with maxxis-e and have had no problem....the tire company said the trailer needed an e rated tire as opposed to d rated....
Bates in fla set up my rig and it was not perfectly level...it is now.
vpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

x3, Maxxis E's. No tire problems, no trailer problems going into third year with lots of hot weather, rough road driving.
It took me a long time to learn about GYM's--one original set and one replacement set, eight tires total, totaled. The only good thing was no body damage to AS with all those chunks of exploding tire flying about.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
I've been using GYM on my TT's for six years...no problems so far...knock on wood.

I wonder if speed has anything to do with failures. My GYM are rated max 65 MPH. I see a LOT of trailers (the majority) passing me on the highway when I'm doing my typical 60-65MPH.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb View Post
Cloud...listen to 2air and others: INFLATE TO MAX PSI (posted on the tire's sidewall) and KEEP IT THERE! Poorly manufactured tires like the Marathon will blow regardless of the good maintenance you do. Trust me...I have the remnants of TWO SETS lodged in my travel memories. Yes, any tire can go bad at any time. But, poorly made tires go bad more often.
I am on my fourth set of Marathons. they seem to last about 20,000 miles a set. My trailer is heavy, 10,000 GVW. I run my pressures at 70. this is above the post pressure on the sidewall. However, it is allowable by Goodyears own documents. 65 PSI was causing the tires to wear on the outsides only. Under-inflated. Now they wear evenly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Castle Rock , Colorado
I Like the Maxxis E solution but can find a listing on the Maxxis web page. Can you please help me with a suggested source?
CloudDancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
Like many of the rest of you, I too had a tread separate on an three year old set of GYM's. Was running about 60 mph, carrying 65 PSI in each tire, and the tread came off and did about 5K dollars in damage to my 30 foot Classic. Tire never lost pressure....the tread just came off.

I have now replaced them with four new E rated Maxxis. The interesting thing about my deal was that Goodyear was good enough to pay me the cost of new Marathons towards the price of the Maxxis. I told them that I definitely wanted E rated tires and they do not have any.... so they knew that I was not going to replace the old tires with GYM's. In addition, they paid my insurance deductable on the claim for the damage to my trailer. Hats off to GY for that.

I might also mention that Discount Tire was instrumental in helping me to file the claim with GY. They have my business forever.
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote