Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Blown tire-Discount Tire sold me Carlisle??

We blew a tire yesterday, and went to the nearby Discount Tire Store. I have always had good service from this company. But the tire they recommended was the Carlisle Radial Trail. I upgraded to the E rated Ten Ply version. BUT, when I got on the internet last night, people just slammed the Carlisle tire mercilessly! Did I get sold a piece of junk? the one thing I couldn't tell from the reviews was exactly which tire they were talking about as most of them seemed to be talking about the stock OEM tires, which are often inferior. Some things I have seen make it sound like these are just Goodyear Marathons with a Carlisle name?

Help!

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
One thing I've learned about tire stores....the best tire in the world is always the one they currently have in stock.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Did you ck the DOT code before purchase? We have also gotten tires from Discount and no problems so far, but we always ask for the DOT code on inside of tire and don't accept anything older than a year, preferably newer. Don't know much about Carlyle. We got the Maxxis 8008 for our trailer (thru other local tire dealer w/better price) and got new Yokohama Geolander ATS (which my husband loves!!) for TV thru Discount. I've seen some people post no problems w/Carlyle tho.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Carlisle Tire is not part of Goodyear Corp. it is owned by Carlisle Companies, Inc. Sorry about your tire problems.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Back in 2001/2002 Carlisle had problems that make the current Marathon situation look mild. Carlisles were being used by Casita and the tires were peeling apart almost faster than they could be put on. This severe problem caused Casita to switch to Marathons - out of the frying pan into the fire? I had 2 Carlisle tires lose their tread in less than a year on my Casita. Maybe they've corrected their problems but I personally wouldn't use a Carlisle on a wheelbarrow!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
My Wheelbarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Back in 2001/2002 Carlisle had problems that make the current Marathon situation look mild. Carlisles were being used by Casita and the tires were peeling apart almost faster than they could be put on. This severe problem caused Casita to switch to Marathons - out of the frying pan into the fire? I had 2 Carlisle tires lose their tread in less than a year on my Casita. Maybe they've corrected their problems but I personally wouldn't use a Carlisle on a wheelbarrow!
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Carlisle. Even though this post is old, I had to jump in here in case someone with Carlisle tires wanted a more balanced (pun intended) opinion. I've paid dearly for the premature tread separation from TWO sets of GY Marathons on my boat trailer. I've been running the Carlisle radials on my Argo since I purchased it almost 5 years ago, and I've had NO PROBLEMS or ISSUES whatsoever. Proper care, inflation, use, etc. will prolong the life of almost any tire except for the Marathon (my opinion only). Just a note: I'm obsessive compulsive, like most AS owners, so you can bet I monitor my tires like the best of owners on this forum.

Regarding Discount Tire, they are not partial to any one brand since they carry literally dozens of brands in stock all over the USA. They receive no extra kickbacks from Goodyear, Carlisle, or any other brands, so they are quite objective regarding the "best tire" for your application.

I'm not saying Carlisle is the BEST out there, but I can honestly say my experience has been MUCH better than with the Marathons. I'm doing my homework regarding the next set I'll use, but I can promise it will NOT be the Marathons. My two cents.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
We blew a tire yesterday, and went to the nearby Discount Tire Store. I have always had good service from this company. But the tire they recommended was the Carlisle Radial Trail. I upgraded to the E rated Ten Ply version. BUT, when I got on the internet last night, people just slammed the Carlisle tire mercilessly! Did I get sold a piece of junk? the one thing I couldn't tell from the reviews was exactly which tire they were talking about as most of them seemed to be talking about the stock OEM tires, which are often inferior. Some things I have seen make it sound like these are just Goodyear Marathons with a Carlisle name?

Help!

FLYNCLD
So how are your tires holding up? If your tires are 225 75 15 you made a wise choice in going with E rated.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have E-rated 3 Maxxis and one E-rated Carlisle on my trailer at the moment. I have lost 3 Maxxis with slipped belts in the last 2 years. I keep them at 70# as a compromise between ride and heat.

I always bought my Maxxis at Discount Tire, but the last time I went in, the manager said that in the E-rated tires, they have had less Carlisle trouble than Maxxis trouble.

I had no problems with either brand on my 3400-mile summer trip. We had enough hot temps to stress the tires.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
FLYNCLD

I have had 2 sets of Carlisle tires from Discount Tire on my older sob that had a gross weight of 4000 lbs with a single axle. The first set I put on was the older bias ply about 10 years ago and they wore out after about 5000 miles. The second set I put on after the first set wore out was radials. I put around 10000 miles on them and they still looked like new when I sold that trailer. I have just had them install a set of 4 American Made Goodyear Marathons on my Airstream Classic. I guess time will tell if they are improved over the old Chinese Marathons.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I replaced my GYM with Carlilies load range E from Discount Tire. I have them on my SOB hunting trailer double axle and they perform very well. I have also had problems with Goodyears on my cars. I will not buy another Goodyear. Airstream Life is doing an article this fall on load range E instead of D. Should be interesting what their research concludes. The following was my experience.

04 Goodyear Marathons - a near disaster!

Just got back from a 1000 mile trip to southern KY and on the way south I had a tire blow up on my 65 vintage Safari. It was very scary when I looked in the side mirror and saw the tire go - smoke and all. They are 8 year old Goodyear Marathons load range D. The tread let loose from the tire. I was able to move to side of the xpress way just as the tire let go and dropped down to the skid rod. Wow! am I glad the skid rod is there. No damage ! Put on spare and made it into Dayton, Ohio and replace both tires with load range E and inflated (diferent brand) to 65 lbs. (max is 80). My recommendation is to update tires sooner than 8 years or you might have to go through my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0815.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	108781  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I replaced my GYM with Carlilies load range E from Discount Tire. I have them on my SOB hunting trailer double axle and they perform very well. I have also had problems with Goodyears on my cars. I will not buy another Goodyear. Airstream Life is doing an article this fall on load range E instead of D. Should be interesting what their research concludes. The following was my experience.

Just got back from a 1000 mile trip to southern KY and on the way south I had a tire blow up on my 65 vintage Safari. It was very scary when I looked in the side mirror and saw the tire go - smoke and all. They are 8 year old Goodyear Marathons load range D. The tread let loose from the tire. I was able to move to side of the xpress way just as the tire let go and dropped down to the skid rod. Wow! am I glad the skid rod is there. No damage ! Put on spare and made it into Dayton, Ohio and replace both tires with load range E and inflated (diferent brand) to 65 lbs. (max is 80). My recommendation is to update tires sooner than 8 years or you might have to go through my experience.
Eight year old tires, are three years too old for service.

Tires should be replaced when they reach 5 years old.

Safety always should come first.

Anyd
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

Just curious here, but do you know what inflation pressure was in the tire the threw the tread and then blew out?
Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I was running them at 65 lbs.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I was running them at 65 lbs.
Was the tire, wheel, hub and drum balanced as an assembly?

Andy
Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Andy,

I used to work at a Michelin tire dealer and we did on the vehicle balancing but I have yet to see another dealer use this method. Is it a standard for Airstream shops?...or just your shop?

Thanks
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
Andy,

I used to work at a Michelin tire dealer and we did on the vehicle balancing but I have yet to see another dealer use this method. Is it a standard for Airstream shops?...or just your shop?

Thanks
This is how we balance the running gear.

It is not done on the trailer.

A few Airstream dealers had this same equipment, at least several years ago.

Wheel Balancing Photos - Inland RV

Andy