Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up Goodyear Marathon Blowouts

I agree with handn's suggestion that Airstream dealers together point out his ongoing problem and work with Airstream to fix it. It's a real shame that Airstreamer's have to keep suffering the consequences of a Corporate decision to use problematic components. After my bad Marathon experience, I am going to ask my dealer's warranty manager to take up the issue with Airstream.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #30
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
In reply to a previous post about Centramatics and Marathons:

62 Overlander trailer - towed appx 15,000 miles on Marathons with Centramatics with no tire failures.

67 Caravel trailer - towed appx 20,000 miles on Marathons with Centramatics with no tire failures.

05 CCD 25' trailer - towed appx 20,000 miles on Marathons with Centramatics and no tire failures. Replaced the original set at 20,000 miles as the tread depth was getting low on all four tires last August. Went back with Marathons which now have about 15,000 miles on them. One tire (curbside rear) was worn down to the treadwear bars while the others show about 1/2 the amount of wear so it was replaced. Don't know what is going on there, but the replacement set of Marathons are from China.

AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
65 psi for your rig, I believe, is way to high. I would drop it to 55 psi.

I would also strongly suggest that you balance the running gear, that is the tire, wheel and hub and drum, as an assembly.

Unbalanced running gear, also contributes to many blow outs.

Andy
Airstream Owners Manual for 2007 25' Safari with ST 225/75 R15 tires specifies 65 psi cold pressure. The ST 225/75 R15 Goodyear Marathon has a load capacity of 2,540 lbs at 65 psi. If you drop the pressure to 55 psi the load capacity drops 10.6% to 2,270 lb load capacity. If you drop the pressure from 65 psi to 55 psi on a four wheel trailer you woud be dropping the total load capacity by 1,080 lbs. I don't think that someting you would want to do.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
Airstream Owners Manual for 2007 25' Safari with ST 225/75 R15 tires specifies 65 psi cold pressure. The ST 225/75 R15 Goodyear Marathon has a load capacity of 2,540 lbs at 65 psi. If you drop the pressure to 55 psi the load capacity drops 10.6% to 2,270 lb load capacity. If you drop the pressure from 65 psi to 55 psi on a four wheel trailer you woud be dropping the total load capacity by 1,080 lbs. I don't think that someting you would want to do.

2270 pounds per wheel times 4 is 9080 pounds.

That is far more than a 25 can weigh, super loaded.

The 65 psi, is ok, if the trailer is at maximum weight.

If it's not at max, then that extra air pressure will give the trailer a rough ride, causing problems.

Airstream does not write their manuals. A publishing company does them.

We strive to help customers to be kind to the trailer, instead of beating it to death, with excessive tire pressure, no running gear balance, super heavy duty tow vehicles along with hitch bar ratings for the Queen Mary.

We stay rather busy, putting those trailers back together again, because of them being abused, by all the heavy duty stuff.

And by the way, insurance companies do not cover long term damages, especially those caused by everything associated with the trailer that's in a super heavy duty category.

Again, we offer our help where it may be wanted.

If an owner insists on the super heavy duty everything, that is certainly their choice, even though Physics says otherwise.

Andy
Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Goodyear Marathon Blowouts

Here's an update. Took the remnants of the blown tire to a Les Schwab store where I have bought tires for my TV. I wanted a relatively objective opinion. They immediately determined it was road hazard that caused the disintegration of my tire. Clearly Goodyear will have little sympathy and perhaps rightly so. Road hazard or not, I've never seen a tire disintegrate and have one sidewall completely separate from the rest of the tire like this. Although I bought the Bambi in April '08, it was an '07 that had been on the lot for a year. Tires were manufactured in 35th week of '06 so they're a bit dated. As unsettling as a blowout like this can be, it was not a disaster. Just a bit disappointing that Airstream, manufacturer of the best rigs on the road, would remain apathetic to a well documented and apparently ongoing problem.

Thanks to all of you who so generously share experience and advice, I've added many lessons-learned to my log book. I'm a a better Airstreamer....safer, smarter, better prepared to what's out there on the open road. I'm grateful to you all. Thanks too to the slaves behind the scenes that make the Forum go. You guys are the best!!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #34
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
...If you drop the pressure from 65 psi to 55 psi on a four wheel trailer you woud be dropping the total load capacity by 1,080 lbs. I don't think that someting you would want to do.
agree completely. and there are many logical reasons to keep them at 65 psi.

and even if the tables suggest 55 psi can carry the load.

should you plan to drive at 65 mph the same goodyear info suggests...

ADDING 10 psi, which puts the tires back at 65 psi.

under inflation is the primary cause of tire failures, why contribute to that stat.

with a tandem or triple axle,

IF/when ONE tire loses air, having the others properly inflated is a good thing.

a tire that is UNDER inflated by just 10 lbs and used for 50 miles is considered by gy as a FAILED/flat.

that is to be REPLACED asap.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2air, You are one of the few people who have used the heck out of your Marathons without trouble.
Do you think the fact that yours is a triple axle trailer has something to do with your lack of tire trouble?
Good Year says it is always a road hazard that damages their nearly perfect tire. The customer can't prove otherwise so he or she is stuck. My guess is that a small fraction of blown up tires are destroyed by a road hazards.
If enough people complain, maybe someday Airstream will get the message.
I purchased my Airstream as an alternative to a motorhome. If I have to baby the tires along, I may go back to a motorhome.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I curretly have marathons with the 0304 date cde made in canada. Original tires from the factory.They have been perfect in 15k miles of travel last year. They show no cracks and look new. My question is would you replace or try another year. It is not the money here but the damn things work and I am afraid new will not be as reliable. My 28 fully loaded only weighs 6500 lbs so d rated is fine and a smooth ride. Opinions please.