Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Re balancing,
The same thing can be accomplished using a wheel spinner that spins the wheel/tire assembly up while still mounted to the vehicle.
That's pretty much the same thing, but the match balance uses no weights. I've found the aluminum wheels don't balance as well with the stick-on weights, and they tend to fling off periodically.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Hmmm...How about a dual-wheel, single-axle trailer? No tire twist, less running gear to maintain, how would it affect sway issues?
This would be less interior space inside the trailer or a tire/wheel assembly that sticks out from the body of the trailer. illegal in most states unless there is an attachable fender surrounding the outter tire/wheel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
This would be less interior space inside the trailer or a tire/wheel assembly that sticks out from the body of the trailer. illegal in most states unless there is an attachable fender surrounding the outter tire/wheel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
That part would be a trade-off, the tire sticking further in would be offset by there only being one of them, instead of two.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We use the following equipment and procedure to balance the running gear.

Wheel Balancing Photos - Inland RV

Andy
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say drums are you saying that you have to take the brake drums off of the axles to balance the running gear? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say drums are you saying that you have to take the brake drums off of the axles to balance the running gear? pj
Yes.

The drums, especially on older trailers, are pitifully out of balance.

Whatever rotates, must be balanced, as an assembly.

Andy
Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #20
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
It was requested earlier that anyone running centamatics respond to this thread. I run Goodyear Marathons with centamatic wheel balancers installed. I put on over 15,000 miles with the combination last year towing from Texas up through Alberta and British Columbia and back down through each of the western states. I've logged an additional 6,000 miles so far this year without a single flat or blowout. I balance my tires and let the Centramatics handle the running gear. I'm either very lucky or the combination works.

Prior to the installation of the centramatics, things moved around inside the trailer and I had actually popped a few rivets. Since installation, I've noticed no additional popped rivets and things pretty much stay where you put them inside the trailer.

Whether you have the wheel, tire and drums balanced as an assembly or whether you try and address this problem with centramatic balancers, I feel Andy is correct, the problem should be addressed.

GStephens
Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

I have never run a tire on my Airstream that has not been computer balanced.
My blowout situation would be worse if I ran at 55 lbs rather than 65 lbs, 65 lbs is max for a D rated tire. More air=less flex. Less flex=less heat.
Since the date of my first post, I have ran 1500 more miles (3,000 total) on my new E rated tires without a blowout. I am back in cool Colorado free of tire troubles for the moment.
I will post again when I return to hot weather this fall.
The valid question about E rated tires inflated to 80 lbs is weather they are too stiff for the Airstream. The ride is bound to be harsher. Am I damaging axles, shocks, wheels, ect.?
Blowouts or damage, that is a choice I shouldn't have to make. Hank
Old 07-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I have never run a tire on my Airstream that has not been computer balanced.
My blowout situation would be worse if I ran at 55 lbs rather than 65 lbs, 65 lbs is max for a D rated tire. More air=less flex. Less flex=less heat.
Since the date of my first post, I have ran 1500 more miles (3,000 total) on my new E rated tires without a blowout. I am back in cool Colorado free of tire troubles for the moment.
I will post again when I return to hot weather this fall.
The valid question about E rated tires inflated to 80 lbs is weather they are too stiff for the Airstream. The ride is bound to be harsher. Am I damaging axles, shocks, wheels, ect.?
Blowouts or damage, that is a choice I shouldn't have to make. Hank
If "E" tires were safer, Airstream would have used them.

But when "E" tires are installed and inflated to 80 psi, that's the same as using solid tires from a fork lift.

Secondly, I doubt that your wheels are rated for 80 psi.

Since you didn't list what year and length trailer you have, then answers to your questions can only be in a general way.

The setup you have, which is super heavy duty, is a huge dislike to the trailer.

Airstream love a soft ride. You have totally killed that element.

What year and length do you have?

Andy
Old 07-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

I have a 2004 25 foot Safari stock except for a solar panel. It is a vacation vehicle, not overloaded with stuff or books. I run with less than half a tank of water and empty holding tanks. I plan to weigh my trailer fully loaded and post the results. I doubt that the weight is over the gvw of 6300 lbs. The unloaded weight of the unit is 4900 lbs.
All my D (8 with original equipment and replacements) rated tires are history, but as I recall each tire is rated for about 2300 lbs inflated to 65 lbs. Tire weight capacity would total almost 10,000 lbs.
I agree that the suspension is well designed and that the trailer tows well and smoothly. In fact, when I have a blowout, the only way I know is when I see bits of tire in the rear view mirror. There is no change in the way the trailer tows.
What is wrong is that the factory speced Goodyear tires are inadequate for towing in hot weather. There are pages and pages of complaints and incidents similar to mine in this forum.
The E rated tires inflated to 80 lb undoubtedly ride more stiffly. As I said in my prior post, I have a choice of blowouts or a stiff ride. This is a choice I shouldn't have to make.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
...I have a choice of blowouts or a stiff ride. This is a choice I shouldn't have to make.
hi hand'

it is too bad u feel these were the only options...

the safari rims are rated for the 80 psi, but just barely.

BUT the valves stems could be an issue unless high pressure replacements were used.

clearly u lost confidence in the gyms, which is understandable but not everyones experience...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

IF in fact the gym tires were the issue WHY did u opt for E over D alternatives?

max' makes D rated versions of their st tire too.

and those could have been run at the 'ideal' 65 psi without extra heat OR harshness from the E tires...

it is nice ya wanna weigh the rig, that is useful info...

it also might be useful to check tire temps while traveling.

while under-inflation does cause more sidewall flex and heat, and the majority of failures...

there is NO EVIDENCE here that running the E rated tires at pressures appropriate to the load

produces more side wall flex OR heat, than running those 'lightly loaded' tires at 80 psi...

i do agree for those folks USING the E rated tires, when the extra capacity isn't needed, HEAT may be an issue.

but given the loads on each of YOUR tires may be well under 1500 lbs,

65 psi in those tires may not produce any significantly greater heat than 80 psi in the beefier max' tire.

lastly i don't buy the notion that a/s (or any other trailer maker) has done much (current) tire research worthy of air time...

or unfettered acceptance.

mostly trailer tires are at the 'commodity' level as a product,

and an insignificant, small buyer like 'stream researches what is available, at a price point and reliably stocked...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

I use metal high pressure rated valve stems.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Goodyear Marathon Blowouts

I had a Goodyear Marathon blowout on my new Bambi 19'. Just 3400 miles on the rig. Pressure was exactly as prescribed and trailer was definitely NOT overloaded...not even close. Never drove it over 65 mph. Blowout occurred at 60 mph on a clear Interstate in very warm temperatures, but not excessive as in the Southwest. Appears sidewall separated resulting in catastrophic failure. After reading about the numerous problems with these "Made in China" tires, I'm puzzled as to why Airstream continues to supply these substandard safety hazards as original equipment. Do not see any indications that anyone has taken up these failures with Airstream. I'm about to take this one up with a Goodyear dealer as a first step, but others' experience tells me not to be too optimistic. Am also coordinating with the Airstream dealer from whom I bought the trailer. What, if anything, is Airstream doing about this problem? Will they not go to bat with Goodyear on behalf of a lot of Airstream owners?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
welcome to the forum!

now you can proudly update your profile.

do you know the manufacture date of the tire?

many of the tire posts will give you answers, and possibly more questions. the tires meet specifications and ST tire options are limited.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Combination of things....

We had a couple of tire issues while trailering in the heat of the southern states a few years back. First thing I did was to SLOW DOWN. Second thing was to purchase PRESSURE PROS to monitor my air pressure and give me early warning of any pressure loss. Third thing was to add a set of CENTRAMATIC BALANCERS. Fourth thing was to lower my tire pressure from max to four or five under in the heat. Fifth was to watch for road hazards i.e. alligators (rubber cast offs), holes in the roadway and bumps. Lastly, we monitor the age of our tires from date of manufacture. Since doing all this we've had ZERO tire failures. Maybe we've been lucky but I'd like to think otherwise. We just went over 30K on our Airstream. Good luck to you and HAPPY TRAILS