Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
BlackAces

Before joining this forum I read almost all of the current - past 6 months - tire threads. Like Tireman9 & CapriRacer I’m a prolific tire poster. But, I do not have the educational background or experience level they have acquired in their many years of industry involvement. However, my message is a little different from theirs. I provide information that follows industry guidelines and the government regulations that the industry must abide.

I’m not a supporter of any particular brand name tire or tire design. Mostly my inputs about tire brands/designs will be options.

Tire manufacturers build tires to the design specifications required by vehicle manufacturers. It’s not cut and dried there. The industry is huge and inputs come from others within it that are also binding and not always made public. The Tire & Rim Association (TRA) and Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) are just a couple of them.

Here is one of the most abused terms used by forum posters. “Recommended Cold Tire Pressure”. What that term means when you see it on your tire placard or in the vehicle’s owners manual is; CORRECT tire pressure, as set by the vehicle manufacturer, as directed by the DOT. Because the tire is just a balloon filled with a gas, it would be nearly impossible to set an absolute tire pressure. So, the recommended cold tire pressure is the one you should start out with every day. It’s the industry standard.

BlackAces
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote