Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #81
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Question; just how much "accuracy" are you loosing with stock rubber valves stems vs metal stems with the TPMS 507?? My contention is when "at speed", the readings from either stem is very close no matter which stem. I have read the "nay-sayers" who believe the accuracy is affected by the external exposure when in motion; but I contend the accuracy difference with either metal or rubber with the valve cap style monitors is negligible, when in motion and is pretty accurate in PSI and temp readings.

My point is, either type valve stem and transmitter system (external cap monitor transmitter vs internal monitor transmitter) works fine for the application intended: monitoring your PSI and temps, looking for a warning when one tire is way out of sync from monitor in cab. Thoughts?

As seen in my reports Aug 17 2018, on my direct comparison test of two different systems, The pressure readings are very similar.

I also said based on the test data "Given the above comparison on the data readings, I would consider these two systems a toss-up for reporting the temperature or pressure, as long as you remember that external sensors are being cooled by external ambient so will report 20F to 30F lower temperatures"

RE bolt in metal stems vs rubber stems I would think there is no reason for there to be any pressure reading difference. It is possible that there is a minor difference in the temperature readings but I would be surprised if those temperature differences are meaningful.

Also as I have pointed out in my RV Tire blog, I do not consider the temperature readings from TPMS to be much more than interesting numbers.

The intent of TPMS is to MONITOR and report on pressure changes and Icontinue to feel that worrying about the temperature readings are just a distraction.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
As seen in my reports Aug 17 2018, on my direct comparison test of two different systems, The pressure readings are very similar.

I also said based on the test data "Given the above comparison on the data readings, I would consider these two systems a toss-up for reporting the temperature or pressure, as long as you remember that external sensors are being cooled by external ambient so will report 20F to 30F lower temperatures"

RE bolt in metal stems vs rubber stems I would think there is no reason for there to be any pressure reading difference. It is possible that there is a minor difference in the temperature readings but I would be surprised if those temperature differences are meaningful.

Also as I have pointed out in my RV Tire blog, I do not consider the temperature readings from TPMS to be much more than interesting numbers.

The intent of TPMS is to MONITOR and report on pressure changes and Icontinue to feel that worrying about the temperature readings are just a distraction.
You so smart... Agree...for sure. however, getting accurate (or close) PSI and Temp readings that set off the TSP alarm is to me, important. I would rather stop and check out because a warning went off..then have a problem with blow out or what ever with the tire...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #83
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post

You so smart... Agree...for sure. however, getting accurate (or close) PSI and Temp readings that set off the TSP alarm is to me, important. I would rather stop and check out because a warning went off..then have a problem with blow out or what ever with the tire...

The issue really isn't the accuracy of the various TPM systems and IMO Temperature is almost never the measurement to "sound-off" first.

I have tested 3 different systems and all were good at reporting pressure loss.

My suggestion is to set the low-pressure warning level at the PSI that corresponds to the MINIMUM pressure needed to support the measured load on the heaviest individual tire. Since your "set" pressure is at least 10% higher than the MINIMUM you have a reasonable margin. Most TPMS have factory temp warning level at about (70C) 158F which is fine based on my measurements using both TPMS and race car level probes as I published.

I do suggest that folks do a "System check" once a year where each sensor is slowly removed and the warning level notes. That will confirm no malfunction by a sensor.

One thing I would consider important to know when selecting TPMS is does the system have an "early warning" feature or does the warning only sound when the low-pressure level is reached. This "early warning" feature sounds off as soon as the sensor "sees" a pressure drop of a couple of psi in a couple of minutes from the higher hot running pressure.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:04 AM   #84
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
X2

4 EZTire for the AS 👍

Bob
🇺🇸

8/06/19

I haven't had one trip that the EZ tire worked 100% of the time.

The longest stretch working was 4hrs.
New batt's, re-sync, clean contacts nothing has helped.
On the last outing it took 45miles before the system began to connect, one tire at a time, taking even longer to complete. CS no help.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
8/06/19

Bob
🇺🇸

Now you know what to do Bob, you contact the manufacturer and tell them what you have experienced.
They will do one of two things. Ignore you, which is where you are now, or help you. What can you lose? especially since you already have your mind set that it doesn't work.

Go for it.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #86
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
8/06/19

The longest stretch working was 4hrs.
New batt's, re-sync, clean contacts nothing has helped.
On the last outing it took 45miles before the system began to connect, one tire at a time, taking even longer to complete. CS no help.

Bob
🇺🇸

Did you buy the EZ from a reseller like Amazon or eBay or directly from an EZ dealer that attends RV conventions?

Shopping on price does have a downside. Tire Traker has lifetime warranty. What warranty did you get from EZ?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Part of your choice depends on how you want to look at the results.
Separate monitor? iPhone? Tablet?
I chose the TST because I didn't want to tie up a phone or tablet, and I went with the color monitor because I HATED the diagram on the B&W which screamed "SEMI!"
I attached the repeater under the lid of the propane cover with industrial Velcro and power it from the Zamp connector. I've never lost signal. It's easy to obsess over the pressure and temp. How even the Sun shining on one side makes a difference.

I'd guess that most of the devices come down the same assembly line in China, so customer service is important. TST excels.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #88
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Did you buy the EZ from a reseller like Amazon or eBay or directly from an EZ dealer that attends RV conventions?

Shopping on price does have a downside. Tire Traker has lifetime warranty. What warranty did you get from EZ?
Up-date

Received an email reply from CS yesterday.
A signal booster is supposed to be in the mail...we will update.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #89
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fredericksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
I just ordered the TPMS from Blu, which was recommended in an article from an RV magazine. Haven’t tried it yet, but only $100 for my Bambi, uses your phone for display/config, and has an optional usb stick that has an audio alarm in case you don’t have the app open and connected. I didn’t get the repeater yet, want to see if I will need it.

Anyone used this one yet???

http://techbyblu.com
I was wondering how the Blu system worked out for you? I have a single axle Argosy Minuet 6 Metre and I am looking at using the Blu system too. Does it transmit far enough for you, or do you need the booster they sell?
JackDuggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:45 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDuggan View Post
I was wondering how the Blu system worked out for you? I have a single axle Argosy Minuet 6 Metre and I am looking at using the Blu system too. Does it transmit far enough for you, or do you need the booster they sell?

It has worked out fine. The Bluetooth dongle is well worth it, and the app is ok. Once you get it set up, you only need the dongle. Given that I have the Curt Echo brake controller, I keep my phone open to that. For the money, the BLU system was a great buy and I don’t need a second monitor in the cab.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #91
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fredericksburg , Virginia
Thanks, I'll probably get the dongle too because I use my phone to connect to a blue tooth OBD2 input. I use the Torque app to monitor my automatic transmission fluid temperature. I was mostly worried about the range of the Blu sensors. The trailer is only 20 feet long though. Do you use the signal booster?
JackDuggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDuggan View Post
Thanks, I'll probably get the dongle too because I use my phone to connect to a blue tooth OBD2 input. I use the Torque app to monitor my automatic transmission fluid temperature. I was mostly worried about the range of the Blu sensors. The trailer is only 20 feet long though. Do you use the signal booster?

I didn’t get the signal booster for my 22’ Sport, but it really couldn’t hurt to have it. Sometimes it does take a bit for the initial connection, but I didn’t notice it dropping while underway (doesn’t mean it didn’t). Let me know how it works out for you!
Old 01-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #93
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
I didn’t get the signal booster for my 22’ Sport, but it really couldn’t hurt to have it. Sometimes it does take a bit for the initial connection, but I didn’t notice it dropping while underway (doesn’t mean it didn’t). Let me know how it works out for you!
An advantage of the systems with separate monitors instead of a phone, like my TST TPMS system, will alarm if one of the sensors is not detected.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
An advantage of the systems with separate monitors instead of a phone, like my TST TPMS system, will alarm if one of the sensors is not detected.
Great point!
It's also fun to watch.
BTW, My repeater is mounted under the plastic lid of the propane cover, and powered by the Zamp connector.
However, if I don't connect the repeater, the sending units seem to link up just fine anyway.
I wouldn't obsess about the repeater on an Airstream.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post

I did not want another monitor at all. The BLU system has a USB dongle you plug in and it gives audio alerts so you don’t need a screen. Like the simplicity of the setup and its working really well over the last 12 months
Old 01-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #96

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
I did not want another monitor at all. The BLU system has a USB dongle you plug in and it gives audio alerts so you don’t need a screen. Like the simplicity of the setup and its working really well over the last 12 months
What does it give the audio alert through, the radio?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #97
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Ez tpms

UPDATE

Used the booster on our 8k Cross Country last September, did not drop the signal once.
Used velcro to attach it to the underside of the LP cover. Powered by the jack, with a removable fuse holder, easy off when stored.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #98
ers
New FC 25' Owner

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Not trying to highjack this post, but what should your PSI & temp numbers be that are a concern? Took our new 25 ft FC on its maiden voyage yesterday. Using the Vesafe TPMS. Started early in the day in the cold, tire temps were 50 F, PSI ~80. Within a few hrs tire PSI went to to 85 & alarms sounded with temps of ~60 F. At a rest stop, let air out of tires to get back to 80 PSI. And a few hrs later at tire temps of ~66 F, alarms go off at 86 PSI... again!!!! Stopped to let air out again for the second time to get tires back to 80 PSI and prevent alarms.

So my questions is how many PSI can I be above the 80 PSI recommended for the Goodyear Endurance tires?? And at what tire temperature should I be concerned about??

Thanks!
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
So my questions is how many PSI can I be above the 80 PSI recommended for the Goodyear Endurance tires?? And at what tire temperature should I be concerned about??
You bring up two issues.
1. you should be able to set the PSI where the alarm sounds.
+20%...-25%. The alarms should not go off because the temp rose 8 degrees.

2. You say GoodYear recommends 80 PSI, but I don't think they do. Here we go again!

As far as temp, it depends. Mine goes up when I stop for gas. Mine goes up when the Sun shines on that side. My pressure usually goes up 5-9 PSI and I've never seen a temp over 110f. even when the ambient temp was 95 f.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #100
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
Not trying to highjack this post, but what should your PSI & temp numbers be that are a concern? Took our new 25 ft FC on its maiden voyage yesterday. Using the Vesafe TPMS. Started early in the day in the cold, tire temps were 50 F, PSI ~80. Within a few hrs tire PSI went to to 85 & alarms sounded with temps of ~60 F. At a rest stop, let air out of tires to get back to 80 PSI. And a few hrs later at tire temps of ~66 F, alarms go off at 86 PSI... again!!!! Stopped to let air out again for the second time to get tires back to 80 PSI and prevent alarms.

Thanks!
From the EZTire Manual...
"For the temperature it is recommended leaving it at the factory default of 158 degree F."

I set ours at 140*f, it has not gone off. GYE, E rated, 73psi cold. POI running psi has reached 78-80+.

Bob
🇺🇸