Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Marathon failures on your Airstream
No problems. 81 59.56%
Tire failure was not caused by defect. [nail Etc.] 8 5.88%
Only one Marathon failed. 15 11.03%
Two or more Marathons failed. 21 15.44%
I switched to another brand tire. 19 13.97%
My Airstream never had Marathon tires. 9 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
14" Marathons are TRASH

I finished a post on a thread concerning 23 Foot Airstreams that come stock with 14" Marathon Goodyear, C Rated, trailer tires.

If you DO NOT want to hurt yourself, your family, your tow vehicle or your 23 foot Airstream... get five Greenball Towmaster from Costco or Schwab's Tow Max trailer tires. These are excellent tires for your 23 foot Airstream.

My 2014 25 foot Airstream with 15" Marathon Goodyear D Rated tires... NO problems. I am actually pleased, even surprised that I have had no problem. Other than having to add air before we leave on a trip, these tires have preformed well.

It is the 14 INCH tires. The 23 foot Airstream should all have 15 inch tires, D Rated and even put the stronger axles on them. The 23 foot is an excellent Boondocking trailer. With 14 inch tires... you are at risk. I know. Mine were made in New Zealand and already when new had a chalky exterior forming. I was too ignorant to know that the trailer had 14" wheels.

It is not your overloading and speeding 85mph and claiming never doing such things to your trailer. You cannot prove you did not... is the scam. My first trailer and I learned about tires after 200 miles.

It is NOT the 15" that is a big headache. The 14 inch tires are an accident waiting to happen. Replace them the sooner, the better.

Other than that... it is you who is now at risk. Not me. This is just my experiences with the 14 inch Goodyears. The other brands used on my 23 footer. Not ONE PROBLEM. Worn down to about 1/4 of the tread and replaced, if not sooner.

Now... I will rest in peace and hold my nose with a 14" tire near me.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, let's get some numbers on the infamous Marathons. Did you have problems or not. And were your tires, in your opinion, defective, overloaded, driven too fast, underinflated, or just happen to have a road hazard. [nails, sharp rocks, or no way of telling what you run over?]

For me, so far [knock on wood] four years and many thousands of miles with no problems.

30,000 miles in 3 years on the 14" Marathons that were original on our FC23FB. NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. Upgraded to 15" Michelin LTX M&S primarily for size/increased road clearance. I suspect that under-inflation or extending life past 4 years are the actual predominate causes of Marathon failures. I'll replace the Michelins at 4 years.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
We had a Marathon running at proper pressure blow out totally taking the wheel well with it. Tear tittle on street side. It's a 22' International. Major repairs and 4 new non-Marathon tires later....

I don't trust the cheap ST Marathons, period. This year's major project is new wheels and Michelin LT tires for all 5. It's been over 3 years since the incident, and I'm not taking chances....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
So to confirm you were running a TPMS and the sidewall failed not a tread separation.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I finished a post on a thread concerning 23 Foot Airstreams that come stock with 14" Marathon Goodyear, C Rated, trailer tires.

If you DO NOT want to hurt yourself, your family, your tow vehicle or your 23 foot Airstream... get five Greenball Towmaster from Costco or Schwab's Tow Max trailer tires. These are excellent tires for your 23 foot Airstream.

My 2014 25 foot Airstream with 15" Marathon Goodyear D Rated tires... NO problems. I am actually pleased, even surprised that I have had no problem. Other than having to add air before we leave on a trip, these tires have preformed well.

It is the 14 INCH tires. The 23 foot Airstream should all have 15 inch tires, D Rated and even put the stronger axles on them. The 23 foot is an excellent Boondocking trailer. With 14 inch tires... you are at risk. I know. Mine were made in New Zealand and already when new had a chalky exterior forming. I was too ignorant to know that the trailer had 14" wheels.

It is not your overloading and speeding 85mph and claiming never doing such things to your trailer. You cannot prove you did not... is the scam. My first trailer and I learned about tires after 200 miles.

It is NOT the 15" that is a big headache. The 14 inch tires are an accident waiting to happen. Replace them the sooner, the better.

Other than that... it is you who is now at risk. Not me. This is just my experiences with the 14 inch Goodyears. The other brands used on my 23 footer. Not ONE PROBLEM. Worn down to about 1/4 of the tread and replaced, if not sooner.

So exactly how is Airstream Co decision to put lower cost 14" tires on a TT the tire companion's fault? By Federal regulation it is the vehicle manufacturer's responsibility to select the tires and establish the minimum tire inflation.

Have you informed all those that posted about problems with Towmaster tires that they were wrong? (try a simple Google search on Towmaster tire failures )
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
4 Trailers, 3 of them Airstreams and the two before our latest were single axel.
Only one failure in about 100K miles and that was due to hitting an unmarked road hazard in New York State hard enough to break a shock mount.
Still drove on it till I noticed the separation happening about 80k from home, but had to continue slower than usual as we were in the middle of nowhere. Luckily it was raining and it helped keep the tire cool. No problems getting it replaced at the local Goodyear store.
I will replace the GYM on our latest in about 2 years with no qualms about it and keep on checking tire pressures and maintaining under 65 mph.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

What about using a 14" commercial LT load range D tire ?

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote