I switched to another brand tire. 19 14.07%
My Airstream never had Marathon tires. 9 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Bad Marathon, Bad Marathon

As I have stated before and firmly believe, to blame the Marathons only (Goodyear) for making shoddy tires does Goodyear a severe Dis-service.
The problem is with the ST class of tire.
Goodyear, Carlisle, Nankang Dtc, etc are building tires for sale in this country in accordance with the rules, regulations and specifications set fourth by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (Federal Acquition Regulations (FAR)).
To build a better tire in the eyes of the manufacturers is a waste of money.
Cooper is the only company that I found who actually produced a tire that exceded federal requirements for the ST class of tire. Coopers marketing structure doomed that tire.
Until the speed rating of the ST class of tire is upped to at least 99 MPH (Metric Conversion) the ST tire is going to continue to fail.
Some will have problems, some will not, its a roll of the dice.
That's my opinion.
Beginner

Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Goodyear had serouse labor issues they claim to have resolved They put the screws to the retired folks. There are alot of disgruntled goodyear and firestone employees right now. Hankook just had a major recall. kept very silent. Tires made in china Scrap! I saw the truck loads being taken to a co in Barberton for shredding. These other countries dont have our quality standard.( arguable statement ) I know. I go with what I see first hand.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
LTL employee in Akron area I see all these plants and talk to people inside that is all
Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Marathon Failures

Our 2004 30' SO has had three of the original Marathon tires fail with less than eight thousand miles on them. We check the tire pressure before each trip and never tow over 60mph and avoid making sharp turns or putting high side loads while parking. All of the failures were due to tread separation.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Bad Marathon, Bad Marathon

Reflecting on my last post I left out something:
"As I have stated before and firmly believe, to blame the Marathons only (Goodyear) for making shoddy tires does Goodyear a severe Dis-service.
The problem is with the ST class of tire.
Goodyear, Carlisle, Nankang Dtc, etc are building tires for sale in this country in accordance with the rules, regulations and specifications set fourth by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (Federal Acquition Regulations (FAR)).
To build a better tire in the eyes of the manufacturers is a waste of money.
Cooper is the only company that I found who actually produced a tire that exceded federal requirements for the ST class of tire. Coopers marketing structure doomed that tire.
Until the speed rating of the ST class of tire is upped to at least 99 MPH (Metric Conversion) the ST tire is going to continue to fail.
Some will have problems, some will not, its a roll of the dice.
That's my opinion."
After the statement "Some will have problems, some will not, its a roll of the dice." I should have added; Care to step away from the table? Go back to LT tires as was originally installed on our trailers (buy better tires).
Beginner
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've had marathon trailer tires on both Airstreams and had no issues. I was not going to take the chance as you will find loads of folks not just on this forum but across the Internet talking about the failures.

Now am keenly aware that the more tires you have out there, you have more of a probability that with a larger installed base, you may have more issues put out there, but I know at least one person as anal as I am when it comes to overall trailer care, and more specifically the tires. When he lost tread I knew there may be something to the issue. I replace my tires at 4-5 year intervals as well regardless of treadwear. When I moved to Maxxis tires that have a nylon cap (which is well documented on performance tires to keep the treads from separating) it was just at my normal interval, which happened to coinside with this forum member I know who had his tire seperate who cares for his stuff better than most. I will say that I was uncomfortable with some of the odd looking sidewalls (from day one) on my Marathons that my new Maxxis tire are not showing.

Was Maxxis the best choice? I can say I also so far have not had any issues yet with them as I didn't with my Marathons, but I had maybe 10k on my Marathons and only have about 2k on my new Maxxis tires so far. Time will tell if the decision was a sound one.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
anywhere , Colorado
I have a problem with a Marathon on my Bambi. Cause yet to be determined. I'll try to remember to reply when the cause is more clear.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I just mounted 4 new 08 chinese marathons and drove 1200 miles in 2 days with no problems. I pulled 4 04 marathons for age only purposes, they were perfect and no problems. I notice the new ones have a scuff uard on the side wall?? Anyway, on the way to the west coast, will keep all posted if anything funny happens
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Is there a poll on how many Marathons have failed? Personally, our 2005, 19 foot Bambi had two and both failed. Seems like that is 100%, to me.

I don't think complaining is doing Goodyear a disservice. Just the opposite, it seems like a class action suit might be in order.

Certainly NHTSA and Consumers Union should be looking into both Marathon and Carlisle trailer tires.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Look at these posts!

The numbers aren't telling, but if you follow each post with a problem to the left, it looks like all the big rigs have the blowouts. In the first string, almost all 30' or longer. It looks like the problem could well be with the loading as opposed to the tire. I didn't have time to check them all, but it looks like a high percentage of the heavy vehicles are the ones with the problems, which may be understandable...

I am feeling pretty safe with my 22' Safari.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We had a Marathon running at proper pressure blow out totally taking the wheel well with it. Tear tittle on street side. It's a 22' International. Major repairs and 4 new non-Marathon tires later....

I don't trust the cheap ST Marathons, period. This year's major project is new wheels and Michelin LT tires for all 5. It's been over 3 years since the incident, and I'm not taking chances....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Autocorrect yuk! Rear tire street side.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
14" Marathons are TRASH

I finished a post on a thread concerning 23 Foot Airstreams that come stock with 14" Marathon Goodyear, C Rated, trailer tires.

If you DO NOT want to hurt yourself, your family, your tow vehicle or your 23 foot Airstream... get five Greenball Towmaster from Costco or Schwab's Tow Max trailer tires. These are excellent tires for your 23 foot Airstream.

My 2014 25 foot Airstream with 15" Marathon Goodyear D Rated tires... NO problems. I am actually pleased, even surprised that I have had no problem. Other than having to add air before we leave on a trip, these tires have preformed well.

It is the 14 INCH tires. The 23 foot Airstream should all have 15 inch tires, D Rated and even put the stronger axles on them. The 23 foot is an excellent Boondocking trailer. With 14 inch tires... you are at risk. I know. Mine were made in New Zealand and already when new had a chalky exterior forming. I was too ignorant to know that the trailer had 14" wheels.

It is not your overloading and speeding 85mph and claiming never doing such things to your trailer. You cannot prove you did not... is the scam. My first trailer and I learned about tires after 200 miles.

It is NOT the 15" that is a big headache. The 14 inch tires are an accident waiting to happen. Replace them the sooner, the better.

Other than that... it is you who is now at risk. Not me. This is just my experiences with the 14 inch Goodyears. The other brands used on my 23 footer. Not ONE PROBLEM. Worn down to about 1/4 of the tread and replaced, if not sooner.

Now... I will rest in peace and hold my nose with a 14" tire near me.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, let's get some numbers on the infamous Marathons. Did you have problems or not. And were your tires, in your opinion, defective, overloaded, driven too fast, underinflated, or just happen to have a road hazard. [nails, sharp rocks, or no way of telling what you run over?]

For me, so far [knock on wood] four years and many thousands of miles with no problems.

30,000 miles in 3 years on the 14" Marathons that were original on our FC23FB. NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. Upgraded to 15" Michelin LTX M&S primarily for size/increased road clearance. I suspect that under-inflation or extending life past 4 years are the actual predominate causes of Marathon failures. I'll replace the Michelins at 4 years.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote