Old 07-07-2003, 08:39 AM   #1
Unhappy avoiding tire flat spots

After driving my car for a while after storing it for 5 years, the steel belts broke in all four tires - I presume from flat spots. I got my 34' Excella 3 years ago with 6 new tires, and since I have it parked in a trailer court without moving it I am concerned about having the same problem. Those here with park models have points on the frame for blocking it up, and some owners remove the tires. My Airstream Owner's Manual gives no advice whatsoever on this. I simply have it parked with the tires on boards and the stabilizing jacks lowered. To move the trailer a few feet now and then would be quite a chore considering where I have it. Any advice on how to avoid tire damage? Surely I am not the only person to keep my trailer in one spot for a prolonged time. Do people jack their Airstreams up? And if so, how high and what is the block arrangement?

thedakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:14 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Are the tires covered to protect them from UV? That will have a great effect on the life of the sidewalls. For all intents I would probably say that once you hit the end of year 4, you probably will have to change tires if you start towing again. Whether you are down on the ground or up in the air the tires will deterioriate. Obviously down on the ground I also would be concerned about the belts, so just figure if you are going to tow you will have to replace the tires. Getting you up off the ground at this point won't give you much more life if you plan to tow.

I don't know the layout of your site but I'm surprised that you can't move the trailer a little (at least twice a year). It doesn't take much distance to get a quarter turn on the tread.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
All 6 tires are covered to protect from UV. So larger Airstreams don't get blocked up? I would think that if the tires were off and stored inside that they wouldn't deteriorate. I have been wondering under what conditions have people gotten broken belts and whether simply moving the tires a tad does much good.
Another problem that without raising the frame emptying the black/gray water into a blueboy is somewhat troublesome and messy. Certainly appreciate any kind of advice to reduce the ouch to my pocketbook.
thedakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
standard advice for long term tire storage is to remove them, put them in plastic bags (most tire stores have suitable storage bags) and store in a cool dry place stacked no more than four high. Do keep pressure in the tires.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote