Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Red face Asking for Advice on Choosing Tires

Hi,

I've just been informed by Les Schwab that all Michelin LTX M/S2 16 tires are out of stock in the U.S. Bummer!

We have a brand new 27' Flying Cloud, and I was intending to replace the 15 rims and tires with the 16" SenDel and Michelins recommended so highly in the forums. So far, it's not looking like that will happen. Has anybody had any luck getting the Michelins recently??

If we cannot get the Michelins, what kind of tires should we go with??

Les Schwab recommended two options that I'd like to pass along, and also ask for advice from those who have had experience with either of these options:

The recommendations are: Toyo 10 ply 16" (these are Light Truck tires, load range E), or TBC Towmax 10-ply 15" (these are Trailer tires, also load range E). The person at Les Schwab explained why the Towmax tires might be better than the light truck tires, including the way the sidewalls are designed to be more rigid than the sidewalls of the light truck tires. Also, the 15" Towmax tires may not require new wheels, but I have not yet researched whether the wheels that come with our AS (Tredit 7-spoke 15x6J) are an appropriate pairing for these tires or not. Does anyone happen to know?

Also, has anyone had Les Schwab install tires and wheels on their Airstream? If so, did L.S. do a good job? I am concerned that anyone but the dealership may damage our trailer. I asked our dealership, and they would charge us $120 to install tires as long as they are already mounted on wheels, which seems like a lot to me, but it's better than a damaged trailer. Any suggestions in this area would be of great help also. Installing the tires ourselves is unlikely as we have no experience with installing trailer tires.

Thank you so much for you help!
streaminlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Is there a Discount Tire in your area? Thats where I got mine wheels too . I did the mounting my self . changing a tire and wheel is not a big job you may need to do it out on the road some day . Be careful who you let jack up your new Airstream.
I wouldn't worry to much about you tires it looks like you have a 14 yr model they will last I would think until you can get Michelins
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is no new science in mounting tires on a wheel, or a wheel on a trailer. Be sure LS knows where to jack and be willing to let you watch them do it. Be sure they hand torque the wheels for final tightness.

If you can get Goodrich TA radials in the LT 225/75 R 16 size you will have a very good tire with a good track record. I have them on my Argosy. They are the tire of choice for the GMC motorhome people, and are about the only tire that most of them use. I replaced my Goodyear marathon's and 15" wheels on my new 2014 FC 20' last summer, very soon after I got it. The Michelin's were available, and the Goodrich TA's were not as easy to find in my area at that time.

I don't know about the Toyo 16" tires, the Towmaster 15" are just another questionable trailer tire in my opinion.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Also, the 15" Towmax tires may not require new wheels, but I have not yet researched whether the wheels that come with our AS (Tredit 7-spoke 15x6J) are an appropriate pairing for these tires or not. Does anyone happen to know?
I just sold my used 3000 mile Towmax 15" tires. They are good tires for 15" but you need to get 8 ply for Airstream rims as per Airstream. I called them and was told that they were designed for 80 psi not the higher pressure of the 10ply.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Any 16" Michelin LT tires with an E rate will do fine on your AS. I never use a jack to lift my 31' Classic, I use this:

Trailer Aid - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Genuine Hotrod Hardware
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
I bought the 16" Michelins you're looking for just 2 weeks ago from Discount Tire in Melbourne, FL. They were manufactured the first week of January. They are being produced. Check w/Discount Tire in your area if you have one.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
ST tire sidewalls are not stiffer or more rigid than than an LT tire. That is just not true. Ask a tire engineer like Capri Racer about this. I suggest you read all posts by him as well as look at his website. barrystiretech.com
If I had your trailer, I'd use these tires.
They have more than enough (15%) reserve capacity for your trailer.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
What is the rush?
You should have 15" marathons and alum wheels. Keep the air pressure at 65psi cold, stay at 65mph or slower, try not to curb a tire in town, and stay in the middle of the road (trash is thrown to the edge of the road).

I removed a set of 2006 marathons in 2011 that had 40,000 miles on them. They had been to alaska, newfoundland, bc, southwest, southeast, texas & florida a number of times.

Michelin will have supply after their recall is complete.

I would much prefer a Japanese Toyo over a chinese TBC. 8ply & 10ply are old bias terminology. Radials are typically a two ply sidewall and I go by the loadrating of C = 2140 lbs/load at 45psi, D=2540lbs/load at 65psi, & E = 2900/3000 lbs/load per tire at 80psi. I run 15" E's but, only inflate to 65psi.

$120 to change mounted tires is high. I guess they figure they are not selling the tire so make it all on the mounting.

I am not a tire designer but, consider the light truck tire to be superior to the trailer tire due to being DOT qualified at 80mph vs 65mph for trailer tires. The sidewall difference is an old wives tale. The light truck tire has a much superior bead area.

I carry a bottle jack that is so old the label is gone (8-10ton). With the trailer hitched to the truck, it is easy to place the jack on the frame between the two tires and jack both at the same time. My fresh water tank valve is close to the frame but, has clearance. My frame is at its heaviest between the tires. Your new trailer should have the jack point marked.

Just my $.02
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I had the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires (2,183 pounds @ 50 psi derated to 1,985 pounds for trailer use) on our 2013 25FB International Serenity. It had a GVW of 7,300 pounds whereas the 27FB has a 7,600.pound GVW.

The derated capacity of (4 x 1985 =) 7,940 pounds is more than enough for even the 27FB models. Our 25FB fully loaded for camping was at 6,960 pounds gross weight, but the axles were only carrying 5,860 pounds.

And I used the factory 15" wheels with tire pressure at 44 psi.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
If you search for this member's (Phoenix ) posts or else send him a PM, you find that he uses a Michelin commercial truck 16 inch tire that he swears by. That is what I would use if I could not get the LTX. Or perhaps someone else here may know what it is.

Edit: I found it: it is the XPS Rib.

Here you find Michelin makes several light trucks tires that would probably work.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ry/light-truck

I would certainly stick with Michelin.

I would also recommend Discount Tire.
I'm a western Washington native and long time Les Schaub customer. However they don't have stores here in the Denver area. I have found the service at Discount Tires as least as good if not better than LS.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Much appreciation for all the responses here. We do have a little time to make our decision on tires, and it's good to get feedback on tires that have worked well for others. If we are unsuccessful at locating the Michelin LTX tires, we now have some good back-ups. We will check Discount Tire in our area, and I do appreciate the debunking of some of the tire myths out there. We will also consider doing the install ourselves. Pappy19 - the Trailer Aid looks pretty cool. Is it as easy to use as it looks?
streaminlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I was at a National Tire and Battery location here in St. Louis on Wednesday and they have them in stock. Maybe Les Schwab is out, but it's obviously that not all tire dealers are in the same situation.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Streaminlife,

Besides the LT load range E, Michelin LTX MS/2 tire (a.k.a., the "Eddie Bauer" tire), some AirForums members have also installed the 16-inch LT tires listed below. These vary widely in price, and some may be considered overkill due to their all-steel construction. However, all of these should prove to be significantly more reliable than any 15-inch ST tire commonly used on Airstreams and SOB travel trailers.

Discount Tire maintains an inventory of these tires at their local warehouses; and they can usually get them the next day, if they don't have them in immediate stock at a particular store. Worst case, Discount can order them from their regional warehouses and have them in a specific store within a few days.

Listed in ascending order of reliability/durability with the best (and probably most expensive) at the bottom.

Michelin LTX M/S2, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=275R6LTXMS2

BFG Commercial TA, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=275R6COMMTAE

Bridgestone Duravis R250, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=275QR6R250

Michelin XPS Rib, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tnum=275R6XPSR

Note: This is just my opinion from reading tire reviews and the anecdotal tire experiences of some AirForums members. Others may recommend different tires or sort order, and their opinions are just as valid as mine. Also, the above links are to http://www.tirerack.com only because tire data is easily found on their Website; and their prices are typical for most tire stores. I have no affiliation with Tire Rack, and my association with Discount Tire is only as a satisfied customer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I appears that the Tire Rack can ship them to you on March 11. I would wait and get the Michelins.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
A few more thoughts on tires. When I went to get tires the day I purchased the Airstream, I was ignorant to all things Airstream. Thank God I got down on the pavement next to the serviceman pointing out the jack indicators. At least I could read! He was ready to jack it up on the pan.

1(If a serviceman is jacking up the trailer, show them where to jack it up. Assume they know nothing.

While we were waiting I watched him working. When he put the third tire/wheel on I noticed that he had not balanced the tire. I asked and he said that trailer tires aren't balanced. I went to the manager who told him to balance them. He went back and balanced those previously installed. I have heard this more than once. It seems to be a common belief that trailer tires need not be balanced. FALSE.

2(Always have a tire/wheel balanced if it will be used on a vehicle.

When I purchased the Michelin tires Sams, at first, was refusing to mount them on my trailer wheels. I showed them the picture of the Eddie Bauer model with the exact same wheels that I had purchased new and they did it without warranty (Sams warranty). That said, I watched the balancing and they did not have the proper armature for the Sendel trailer wheel so the serviceman kept trying to get it on the balancer just right. NADA. He finished. Later I took them to a truck tire facility that had equipment for all types of tires including a load balancer. I stood beside the guy doing the work. The tires were WAY OFF, 2-3 OZ in two instances- this AFTER THEY HAD SUPPOSEDLY BEEN BALANCED.

3( Make sure the facility has the proper equipment to balance the tire/wheel type or make arrangements to have it balanced properly. Watch the work being done even if you have to stand at the garage door outside the garage area.

I switched to the truck tires because of so many others having issues with trailer tires and not just on Airstreams but RVs in general. Truck tires are also designed for carrying loads. The sides of TRAILER tires are supposed to have larger diameter cords for shearing strength but this also causes heat issues apparently and they disintegrate and fall apart. This may not be the case for all trailer tires but the owners share this scenario with tires that are few years old to new. Something is wrong so people look for an alternative.

4(Research issues that others have and piece together the information as to why (evaluate) then take action to avoid the problem if necessary.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Before rushing out and spending all that money to switch from one wheel size to another, here are a few suggestions I'd make after having had this forum apply high levels of fear, uncertainty and doubt to my brain regarding factory standard 15" wheels & tires. I spoke directly and at length with both my dealer and a tire guy at Airstream about this before deciding to stay with the wheels and tires they selected at the factory, at least for the near future. I hope this is helpful.
Good luck, and safe travels!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Phoenix -Thanks for the info on 16 inch tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Streaminlife,

Besides the LT load range E, Michelin LTX MS/2 tire (a.k.a., the "Eddie Bauer" tire), some AirForums members have also installed the 16-inch LT tires listed below. These vary widely in price, and some may be considered overkill due to their all-steel construction. However, all of these should prove to be significantly more reliable than any 15-inch ST tire commonly used on Airstreams and SOB travel trailers.

Discount Tire maintains an inventory of these tires at their local warehouses; and they can usually get them the next day, if they don't have them in immediate stock at a particular store. Worst case, Discount can order them from their regional warehouses and have them in a specific store within a few days.

Listed in ascending order of reliability/durability with the best (and probably most expensive) at the bottom.

Michelin LTX M/S2, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=275R6LTXMS2

BFG Commercial TA, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=275R6COMMTAE

Bridgestone Duravis R250, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=275QR6R250

Michelin XPS Rib, LT225/75R16, load range E -- http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tnum=275R6XPSR

Note: This is just my opinion from reading tire reviews and the anecdotal tire experiences of some AirForums members. Others may recommend different tires or sort order, and their opinions are just as valid as mine. Also, the above links are to http://www.tirerack.com only because tire data is easily found on their Website; and their prices are typical for most tire stores. I have no affiliation with Tire Rack, and my association with Discount Tire is only as a satisfied customer.
Well done. Thank you for your summary .
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Chosing tires is a personal choice.

But, it's wise to pick a brand that has a decent history, AND that is available nation wide, so that if you have an issue, you can take care of it locally.

Balancing tires is almost a lost art.

With the availbility of a product like the "Centramatic balancers", balancing becomes quickly out dated, as the Centramatics are a lifetime balancer that requires "ZERO" maintenance, because they change as needed instantly to keep the running gear in perfect balance.

At this point, many owners have joined that "never need to worry again" club.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Before rushing out and spending all that money to switch from one wheel size to another, here are a few suggestions I'd make after having had this forum apply high levels of fear, uncertainty and doubt to my brain regarding factory standard 15" wheels & tires. I spoke directly and at length with both my dealer and a tire guy at Airstream about this before deciding to stay with the wheels and tires they selected at the factory, at least for the near future. I hope this is helpful

.................................................. .......
First off, all of your advice below the part I accented in bold, is very good sound advice and an excellent plan to help with tire safety.

However, regarding the part in bold:

First of all, I am assuming that "my dealer" refers to the Airstream dealer where you bought your trailer.

Do you really expect either Airstream or their dealers are going to make even the slightest hint, that the tires they put on their trailers have any problems whatsoever? That would be liability suicide. I would be much more inclined to listen to the experience of the people who use them rather than the people who make money selling them. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence on these forums and other major RV forums to thoroughly document that fact that users have reliability issues with Goodyear marathon trailer tires.

I am not saying you should replace your tires. I am only saying that if you make a decision to keep your tires, do it based on research with sources other than the people who have a great deal at stake if there is something proven to be wrong with them. Keep in mind that those that replace the tires are doing so at a substantial financial outlay. I think its save to assume they did not base this solely on fear mongering by others.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I might switch to 16" wheels one day, but will probably go with a Firestone TransForce HT 10-ply load range E tire.
We are able to get them for about $165 each on our company national account.
As far as tires on the tow vehicle I will probably get another set of 20" Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires like the ones that came on it from the factory and are 7 years old.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote