Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Are we pushing the limit?

okay guys go easy on me... I'm an newbie... most of my trailiering has been with large horse trailers... we just picked up an 1976 Argosy 24 that was refurbished by some RV mechanics in Ill. They seemed very competent... not vintage restorers but nuts & bolts guys... also seem to fix farm machinery... My son and I drove it from the vicinity of Decatur Ill to Tempe Az. We probably drive faster than most and some of you might think that we are reckless.... 75mph on average... we tested tire temperatures at most stops and didn't find any uneven heating between the tread and sidewalls (also watching the bearings and brakes). Nothing scary was going on. So are we courting armageddon with these tires on a 4000lb trailer?

Thanks

Mike
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Yes! You are on borrowed time.

All trailer tires are rated at 65 mph maximum. Running faster than that for extended periods is courting disaster. A blown tire can greviously damage the side of your trailer.

I run at 60-62 and never exceed 65 except very temporarily to pass safely.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Most Airstream trailer accidents happen at high speeds. You do not have time to react. Whether the tires are safe at these speeds is dependent on their loading and pressures you keep in them. Age of the tire is also a factor. There are several tire rating websites which may give you the load limits at specific inflation pressures. I have been known to go that fast occasionally but, doing it as regular habit is a bit risky. Many accidents occur going down hill at high speed, which is when the combination is the least stable. Also, choppy cross winds at high speed can really throw you. We have had several members turn one over because of that. The big semi's regularly go that fast but I am not sure I want to do it with an Airstream, although, the recorded record is about 115mph.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
115 is the record?

hmmmm... 115mph is the estimated record? The manual Hemi we have is ungoverned and can do 115... at 4,000RPM. Just kidding guys. We're car guys and have other vehicles to have gun with. Thanks for the comments.

Mike
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I think going 75 is too fast ,the previouse postings explaine that on the tires.
Why speed ? you 'll end up flipped or wrecked on the side of the road .Whats the safest speed to travel with the horses ? I hope its not 75 or better.Im
wondering what the law is concerning that ? Think safe ,thats the answer.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote