Old 10-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have had mixed results with the Carlisle trailer tires. Unless they have changed their manufacturing methods they are probably not much different than any other ST tire - roll the dice with Chinese manufactured tires.
One thing good I can say about the company is that they sent me 4 brand new tires because I called the tech support and asked if they could help me identify if the tires on my Airstream were having tread separation issues. The next thing I knew there were 4 new tires on my doorstep.
Here is my story from 2013.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...is-108403.html

One thing funny about the Carlisle's is the wear pattern. The wear pattern always seems to be on both the inner and outer edges of the tires vs. evenly across the tread on both the Airstream and a tandem axle utility trailer. Tire pressure is always at max sidewall pressure.

Hum, sounds familiar (Post #4 this thread).

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
I have put about 7000 miles on my Carlisle bias ply so far. No problems yet.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I have put about 7000 miles on my Carlisle bias ply so far. No problems yet.
I have radial Carlisle's on mine.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #32
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
I just had 2 Carlisle 225/75 15's put on my 2006 19' after returning from a 4,000 mile trip and seeing one of my GYM's had begun to fail (manufactured in 2011). Discount also recommended the E rated Carlisles over the GYMs and another brand they had (not Michelin), saying they were excellent tires with a load rating of 2,800 each. They recommended running them at or near max pressure of 85psi. That seem high to me but I'm no tire expert. I was kind of over a barrel buying these because I didn't want to go another mile on the ones I had. From what I read in researching they seemed to be a good choice, although, I would have preferred Michelins. So far I've driven them only twenty miles, so I'm wondering what to expect or if I made a poor choice? Any feedback?

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #33
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Hi Mark, when you say your Marathons began to fail, what did you notice on your tire so I can check mine.
The Goodyears on our trailer were also manufactured in 2011 and am looking for a new set of tires for it. I just had my axle aligned due to outer tire wear
Thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #34
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Hi Mark, when you say your Marathons began to fail, what did you notice on your tire so I can check mine.
The Goodyears on our trailer were also manufactured in 2011 and am looking for a new set of tires for it. I just had my axle aligned due to outer tire wear
Thanks for your input

Curiously I noticed that the right tire had uneven wear on both the inside and outside but, not in the middle and some cord was starting to show. I had the tire guys at Costco look at it first and then to Discount to get a second opinion. I had the tires balanced and looked over prior to my 4,000 mile trip and everything was fine. I did hit some bad roads along the way but maintained the max 65psi throughout. I wondered if it could possibly have been a bent axle or bad shock but, both guys that looked at it said tire failure. Either way I had to buy tires and at a cost $100 plus I'll possibly have the axle inspected. My advise to you is 4 years is about max whether they're worn badly or not. Safe travels.

Mark,
The path not taken is the one I take.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #35
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Thanks, yes I agree on the 4 year replacement. I took mine in to get the axle aligned and was told that the right side camber was off by 1/4 inch wearing the outer edge and the left side had a toe out by 1/2 inch also wearing on the outer edge. I also noticed that the tread was not wearing smooth across the contact patch and therefore I'm thinking the tires will now wear correctly but the damage to them has been done.