Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Towmaster D or E?

I realize this is an older thread, but looking to replace the Marathons on our 07 Safari 27FB before a long trip. Looking at the Towmasters (ST 22575R 15 LR D) ... two questions; are these the "radials" that you are referring to ... or should we be looking for E tires? We're on 15" rims, I think. No blowouts on the Marathons, but side wall bulges, etc. have always made us more nervous than necessary. We never tow over 65 mph, and always inflate the Marathons to 65 cold. With "E" rated Towmasters, is it still okay to do as Louis and Sergio ... (hey guys!) ... although, we're much heavier than a vintage? Would welcome any advice. Go back with ST ... D rated tire ... or E? Or am I confused. It wouldn't be the first time.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Transmaster LR E

We switched our '07 25' International from the factory Marathons to Transmaster tires, LR E, about 10000 miles ago and have not had a bit of problems. The trailer weighs 6800 pounds road ready (full propane, fresh water, food etc.). We had to replace one Marathon due to a nail and Discount Tire sold us a Towmaster LR E. They recommended running it at about 75 PSI for a slightly softer ride - did not need the full E load rating.

When we came back to Discount Tire to replace the other three tires, they mentioned that the Towmasters had been replaced by the Transmaster tires. Since our single Towmaster had little wear on it, they exchanged it for a Transmaster so all four tires would match.

The Transmasters are radial tires.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
New tires for the old girl

I hope when we go to buy tires within the next 4-6 months, Transmasters or Towmasters are available for our '78 Argosy. When I went to Sam's Club recently, they did some research for me and said that it looks like Towmasters have been discontinued. This whole 15" tire thing makes me really twitchy because I don't want to swap out the 15" wheels for 16"- or should I say I don't want to spend the $$ on our beloved money pit for new wheels to get decent tires. We still have the $$foam and curtains$$ to replace, and bit the bullet for a new $$Zip Dee awning. By the time we get to even thinking about replacing axles or wheels, we will either be too old or too broke to keep the thing on the road! Hopefully the Transmasters will serve you well.

Kathy
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We bought our 2002 30' Classic W/SO last year and the seller had replaced the stock tires with Towmasters. He said they were 3 years old. We took the AS on a 7,000 mile trip this past April and never had a problem. The day after we came home and parked the AS, it had a flat. The side wall had split so I replaced the tire with a Triangle 10 ply(in little Garden Valley, Idaho you take what you can get). On our way to San Antonio from Boise to Durango, I had a blow out doing 70 on I-70 about 30 miles from Green River, Utah. I was glad that I had purchased the Hawkshead tire monitor since I did not know it went flat. I called Good Sam to change the tire(that's another story). We stayed in Moab that night instead of Durango so I could get a new tire. I wanted to change out the last 2 Towmasters but the wife said to wait until we got to San Antonio. The Moab tire dealer(Milehi) had Hercules 10 plys. So we traveled on and yesterday almost to Ozona, TX, another tire blew. I heard it this time as the entire tread blew off before the monitor could react. Now, I am an AS tire changing consultant and had the spare on in 20 minutes. We limped into Ozone and the only tire place was Treto's and he also had Triangle's. I now have 3 Triangles and 1 Hercules. One thing I have learned is I was very lucky to have a wooden tire block that has worked to drive onto and change the bad tire. I'd hate to think about trying to jack up my AS. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good after market tire lift since my little wooden one is ok but not the greatest. Thanks-

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Pappy,

I've used the stock jack out of my truck ('08 GMC 3/4 ton) to lift one side at a time of our Airstream. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but works fine on a 2X under the vertical metal piece between the two axles.

I'm sorry to hear the Towmasters are discontinued. We had them on our trailer that went to Alaska in '08 with no troubles, and we now have a set of LR D's on our '04 28' for about a year now. Don't have too many miles on this set, maybe 10K, but have had no troubles so far. I do have a monitoring system, and run them at 75 PSI cold because sometimes I go slightly above 65.

I've just about had it with all the ST tire problems I've read about, and will definately go to LT tires the next time around. Think I will try some of the Yokohama 7R15's as I've only heard good things about them.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Tires

Pappy,

Talking about tires on the forums is like discussing fuel milage, favorite tow vehicle or best wine. It is generally a matter of preference. However, with quite a few miles on my 30' SO I do have a few observations. First, the trailer is just to heavy for load level D tires. The early model 30' SO trailers had a GVWR of 9100 lbs with two 4400# axles and D rated tires. Kind of like contracting to the lowest bidder for every part. So I would suggest finding a 15" load level E or upgrading to 16" tires and wheels. I am currently running the 15" load level E tires. Have put 8000 miles on them this year and have had no problems. Secondly, and I know everyone likes to beat this one to death, ST tires are not made to handle speeds greater than 65mph. I noticed you were towing at 70mph when one of your blowouts occurred. Attached is a link with a few facts about ST tires hope this is helpful.

Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire
Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
All of my Towmaster failures were on 10 ply-E rated tires. I really think it was an age issue rather than a design or brand issue. These tires were 4 years old and looked in pretty good shape. They obviously made our spring trip of 7,000 miles without any problems. In retrospect when I had the first flat, I should have just replaced the whole set. I do think that the 30-34' AS should have come with a set of 16" rims/tires which gives the user a much larger selection of tires and also slightly more clearance. I might also add that one should totally change out the crappy lug nuts with the "false" caps to a solid 13/16ths lug nut. I had big problems with the caps on the lug nuts failing and had to use a Vise-Grip to pry off the caps and use an 18 mm socket to remove the naked nut.(hope this makes it by screening)....

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
chico , California
Thank you for the report, Artlink... someone of the Open Roads-travel trailer-forum wrote in that Thor is putting Towmasters on all their products--I guess this does not include Airstream as of yet??????

Next time I think I will get Towmasters. Do they bounce off curbs? I have got to be more careful.

Kistler

Heartland is putting towmasters on their Big Horn trailers.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
chico , California
Camping World sells a good one called "tire aide". Just roll the trailer up on the good tire and change the blown tire.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Roadmaster Convertee

We have joined the "Towmaster Club"...we had a complete instant blowout on the roadside Marathon on a trip last weekend, between Globe and Show Low, AZ. I mean it just completely blew...leaving a 8"-long hole in the tire...and the entire tread came off. Minor damage to the underbelly, but luckily our plumbing directly behind the wheel well was spared...it's in for repairs now. We replaced both tires with Towmaster D Load Range. When we took the other Marathon off the wheel we discovered it was also in the process of tread separation...there was an area about 1/3 the distance around the outer edge of the tire tread that was nearly bald and in the middle of that area was a small hole worn through that exposed the steel belts inside. Another 50 miles and it would have blown, too. Since we have a single axle trailer we had to change the tire on the spot with a jack and the whole nine yards. We are glad we carry those triangle hazard things to alert oncoming traffic... Because we were running on the rim after the blowout, we had to change the tire about 1/3 the way into the traffic lane because there was very little room between the white line at the side of the road and the guard rail. We all survived, but not because people were slowing down or moving over. Most were sheer idiots. We were lucky on so many levels. Here are some pics of the blown tire...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284_Sm.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	141703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1290_Sm.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	141704  

Name:	IMG_1291_Sm.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	141705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285_Sm.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	141706  

Name:	IMG_1289_Sm.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	141707  
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #25
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
I am glad you are ok and survived that nightmare. We have a set of marathons on our SOB- less than 2 years old, but I will never ride easy until we get our Airstream on the road with new NOT MARATHON tires. I am confused because I thought there was evidence that Towmasters were no longer avilable. Where did you buy yours?

Kathy
Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We got the new tires at Big-O ... I think the D load range are available in the Towmaster branding and the E load in Transmaster, both made by the same folks (Greenball).
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #27

2012 20' Flying Cloud
2011 Interstate Coach
Rock Springs , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler View Post
I noticed today that Costco is now selling Towmaster trailer tires ... Greenball mfg.

Having just bought (4) new Good Year Marathons I am hoping to at least get through this coming summer.
Had one pair of Towmasters and they were fine...didn't have any trouble....lasted about 5000 miles with heavy use.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Towmasters Now Made in China

Motivated by TBRich, and after talking to happy campers at Balloon Fiesta Rally, went to Big-O to purchase a set of Towmasters . The Towmasters at the rally were made in U.S.A. All the Towmasters currently in stock in the Big O Southwest Region supplied by Denver are made in China. If you find Towmasters made in U.S.A., they may be old tires. Buying tires has become a crapshoot.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote