Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When radials first came to market more than 40 years ago, they were promoted for a better ride, less rolling resistance (i.e., better gas mileage), and better traction on curves (because of the more flexible sidewalls).

You can buy radials with pretty stiff sidewalls, for ex., the Michelin Rib tire if you want a stiff sidewall. I think some off roaders prefer bias ply and if they want to go through mud, bias ply with very big knobs. An off road bias play would ride badly for other use.

Since a smooth riding trailer with good traction and less rolling resistance seems like a good combination, I think radials are best for a trailer. A well made radial should not have tread separation. Avoiding ST tires because of their tread separation record seems like a good decision.

Therefore we switched to radial LT tires for the trailer (not the Rib which seems to be a commercial grade truck tire for use in short, urban area trips).

Gene

Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Farm and ranch vehicles that never see north of 25 or 30 mph is a whole different loading than highway/freeway/interstate usage for thousands of miles. I would not base a buying decision on a a different experience.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Talked to a local tire guy. He says bias ply tires can develop multiple flat spots that do not disappear once the trailer is under way. Has that been anyone's experience?

BTW i see where GYM tires are speed rated R = 106 MPH I thought ST tires were not speed rated
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That wasn't my experience with the pop up camper nor my old boat trailer. They'd thump for a mile or two, as I recall, then be fine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
BTW i see where GYM tires are speed rated R = 106 MPH I thought ST tires were not speed rated
35 MPH is pushing them!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"Talked to a local tire guy. He says bias ply tires can develop multiple flat spots that do not disappear once the trailer is under way. Has that been anyone's experience?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1953 Ford Victoria
The original bias ply and second replacements in 2000 did flat-spot after extended storage, never lasted more than a few miles.
The current Coker tubeless Firestone's do not.
I have kept the bias ply's to keep the handling and ride characteristics as designed. The original wheels are not made to withstand the lateral forces radial tires can exert.

Plus like an Airstream, it ain't a Porcha.

POI...been in the Family since new, 44000mi never a flat. OEM spare in trunk.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01604.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	150899  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
OEM spare in trunk.

Bob
Time to get it bronzed.

Gene
Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
We had a radial fail on a trip and didn't realize it until someone waved us down. By then all the tread was gone and only thing that remained was the sidewall portion. Had a little damage to the wheel well but not severe. In our case I think the tire pressure got low and the tire overheated. This would have happened on any tire, whether it was bias or radial. Before our next trip we will install tire pressure sensors on the tires and monitor from the truck.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Time to get it bronzed.

Gene

Gene,

You first....double dog dare 'ya.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

RLC
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
Bias Ply tires

When we bought our Airstream 25' Tradewind in 2004 it had 7.00X15 load range C's on it. Not catching that it really needed load range D's I replaced them with Denhams 7X15 load range C's (45 psi) for 50.00 a tire. This is when we lived in Tucson, AZ. Well, we traveled all over AZ went to Rock Port, TX and back, went to Spring, TX where we relocated to,took her to Macon, GA then from there we outlined the state of Flordia all the way to Key West then back to Spring, TX. She has been to Beaumont,TX and a few other places in TX all on the Denham's. Between all this she sat for months at a time. Now, I, myself, mounted and roadforced them then balanced the wheel and drum as an assembly. I also keep a close eye on the air pressures. Drivingwise, I never drive over 65mph and usually run around 63ish. I watch for "obstructions" as I drive, as much as possible. Lucky or careful these tires served me well. So much so I am currently in the process of replacing them with Carlisle 205/90/15's (load range D/ 65 psi) which are the equlivent of 7.00X15 according to the stamp on the tire. I will be mounting and balancing them myself but no roadforce this time as I do not have access to a machine that is capable. I am installing Centramatics this time though. Any way, this is my take on Bias Plys.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Haven't found much on Carslile USA Trail bias ply failures on internet - could be a good sign for these particular tires - or a sign my search skills need improvement. So far bias ply tires seem safer in terms of damage to the AS in event of a blow out. Possibly a good exchange for a few other drawbacks posted.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If you buy discount tire check local stores over main site on web, I have pur. many tires last 4 were 28$ less each at local store, pays to shop [same tire]
Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Do you do it???

RV Trailer Tire Storage

Knowing how to properly store your RV trailer tires when they’re not in use can prolong their lifespan. Weather and ozone damage are the primary causes of your trailer tires deteriorating and speeds up the aging process of your RV trailer tires. The ozone in the air combined with UV rays will causes the rubber material to dry out and deteriorate. The sidewalls of your trailer tires will be hit the hardest by sunlight.

How to Store RV Trailer Tires
You want to store your tires in a cool and clean location that is away from the sun and any air currents. Tires can have their durability reduced when exposed to the elements.
Keep your tires stored flat. This will help keep the shape of the tire.
Keeping your tires wrapped in opaque polyethylene will reduce the damage caused by the ozone in the air and sunlight. There are special bags developed especially for this purpose.
Keep your tires off the storage surface when storing tires outdoors. Simply use pieces of wood to keep them off the ground.
Tires that are stored while mounted on rims will need their tire pressure dropped to 10 psi in cold weather. If it is warm when you are storing the tires, keep the air pressure at 15 psi to compensate for pressure drops. in cold weather.
Keep your RV trailer tires away from wet or oily areas. Keep your tires away from any ozone generating equipment such as electric motors, generators and furnaces.
Keep your stored tires off heat-absorbent surfaces such as black asphalt.
© Copyright The Campers 2010
RV Trailer Tires | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	151133  

RLC

RLC
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Robert, What is your opinion on putting the AS up on jacks? I was told if the AS was not going to be moved for say 2 months, it should go on jacks to help save the tires.