Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Any Michelin Tire Experts Out There?

I'm looking to buy new tires for my TV (2002 Yukon Denali) that I just purchased. I'm picking up my 2004 19' Bambi Safari in 4 weeks in Florida and will be towing to Michigan. Anyone know which would be better: The Michelin Cross Terrain or the Pilot LTX? Same price but different treads. Just wondering which would be best for towing. I'm ordering from Costco and although the description of the tires seems adequate on the website, it doesn't address towing.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Darrell
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
My only bad experience EVER with Michelin tires was with a new set of LTX A/T's on my Avalanche. They were great on dry roads but absolutely worthless on anything wet or muddy. I had them on for about 3 months and got stuck twice in 4WD on roads I've driven on for 30 years and have never gotten stuck on. I took them back to Discount Tire and the changed them out for BF Goodrich's at no charge (Michelin had nothing else in the heavy load range I wanted)- great customer service from Discount Tire.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Thanks, Dave. Maybe I'll take a look at the B.F. product line...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I like Michelins on my Lexus sedan, but from reading the Michelin website, both of these are passenger tires that are cosmetically adjusted for SUVs.

If you plan to do a lot of towing, I would go with LT tires for better sidewall stiffness. You will suffer when not towing.

How about a spare set of LT tires for the back, and switch over to all Michelins when not towing?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I like Michelins on my Lexus sedan, but from reading the Michelin website, both of these are passenger tires that are cosmetically adjusted for SUVs.

If you plan to do a lot of towing, I would go with LT tires for better sidewall stiffness. You will suffer when not towing.

How about a spare set of LT tires for the back, and switch over to all Michelins when not towing?
Hmmm. What are LT's? (Pardon my lack of knowledge here)....
Old 02-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D
Hmmm. What are LT's? (Pardon my lack of knowledge here)....
Light Truck tires. They have stiffer sidewall and usually higher weight ratings than P-metric tires.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Light Truck tires. They have stiffer sidewall and usually higher weight ratings than P-metric tires.

Aaron
Gotcha! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Craftsman

Take a look at the Michelin XPS Traction tires. The have a very tough side wall and last forever. I ran these on my Land Rover and my brother used them on his Ford F250. They are excellent tires.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I will check them out. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We have had an EXCELLENT experience with Michelin tires, load range D. We've replaced whatever comes on our Suburbans with them every time and get at least 50,000 miles out of them. Would have nothing but Michelins on our trucks. We tried Dunlop once, dealer talked us into it and thought it was going to roll over, the side walls weren't strong enough.
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up Michelin XPS RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Take a look at the Michelin XPS Traction tires. The have a very tough side wall and last forever. I ran these on my Land Rover and my brother used them on his Ford F250. They are excellent tires.
A big YES to that....
I towed over 25,000 miles last year on the Michelin XPS for my Suburban!
Best place to buy? Discount Tire Co. if they are in your area.....
They will meet or beat any deal & if you purchase the free replacement certificate, you get absolute free replacement for the life of the tire (no pro-rating of the tread).
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Jim and Janssvt,

Michelin XPS it is. Getting them put on next week as we are leaving for Florida to pick up the Bambi two weeks from today. I must say I have some mild anxiety over towing the little bugger home, but I think I've covered all the bases: New TV (2002 Denali), with new tires, Equal-I-zer with w/d with sway, McKesh mirrors (free from a guy here in the forums), a personally imposed rule not to exceed 65mph, and an observant wife to make SURE I don't screw up on the road.
We'll actually get to camp on the way home north of Chattanooga and get to try her out. Thanks for the info!

Darrell
Old 03-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Michelins are a good choice, but for us non-millionare Vintage Owners that need the money to fix up our money pits...I can reccomend the Cooper Tires. I have gotten very good service out of them. After chewing up 2 sets of Firstone's on my f-150 in under 50,000 miles I switched to the Cooper Discovery and was getting between 50k and 60k per set, that was what was on the truck at 300k when I turned it in to the company. Current beast has Michelins on the front and Firestones on the rear As soon as I wear them out, Coopers it shall be.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:14 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up Darrel you are set to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D
Jim and Janssvt,

Michelin XPS it is. Getting them put on next week as we are leaving for Florida to pick up the Bambi two weeks from today. I must say I have some mild anxiety over towing the little bugger home, but I think I've covered all the bases: New TV (2002 Denali), with new tires, Equal-I-zer with w/d with sway, McKesh mirrors (free from a guy here in the forums), a personally imposed rule not to exceed 65mph, and an observant wife to make SURE I don't screw up on the road.
We'll actually get to camp on the way home north of Chattanooga and get to try her out. Thanks for the info!

Darrell
Out of all those things, the most important is to keep your speed down....
Although it is tempting to go faster, I usually tow at 55 m.p.h. with the flashers on......
10 to 15 m.p.h. makes a big difference when you have to stop quickly on the freeway

Good luck!
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote