Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #1

One person has more or less suggested tire replacement after 5 years ... anyone have a more definitive or specific recommendation? I have a 99 safari with original tires; I haven't gone on a trip in a couple of years, tread is in good shape, but as the previous post noted tires degrade even without use or wear. Motorcycle safety experts say don't use any tire more than 3 years old. But Les Schwab dealership told me not to worry about it. Anyone with more specific info? abc
Andrew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
There are several thoughts that I am aware of. Some revolve around visual inspection. I am not aware of a a hard and fast rule as written by a tire manufacture. (And you can search those sites, it's really EZ)

I am not adovcating my usage, and I have gone way past 5 years. If I were to check tire mfg dates I bet it is double that. So far it's working for me. And I know I better not go on that next trip w/o new tires. All 4.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
You raise a good question.

Soon after getting our 1973 Safari home a few years ago I took one of the P rated Michelins (Sears Branding) to Sears for evaluation. The manager at Sears said that the tire model had not been sold for 13 years and they were at least that old. Makes one wonder how long a tire will last. "???????"
Old 02-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycarey
One person has more or less suggested tire replacement after 5 years ... anyone have a more definitive or specific recommendation? I have a 99 safari with original tires; I haven't gone on a trip in a couple of years, tread is in good shape, but as the previous post noted tires degrade even without use or wear. Motorcycle safety experts say don't use any tire more than 3 years old. But Les Schwab dealership told me not to worry about it. Anyone with more specific info? abc
Hello Andy,
I have read everything there is to read, 3 times over, and then I find something new. In a nut shell, Goodyear as well as Michelin have quite a bit to say about tires, age, etc. Goodyear says 5 years on age as most trailer tires get used very few times a year, and the rest of the time they are degrading. Why? 2 reasons. UV rays are focused many times, at the same section of tire day after day, after day. Very hard on tires. The other reason is that the polymers used in tires to prolong life require heat and flexing to help them migrate through the rubber. Since they are sedintary so much of the time, the outer portion of the tires degrade from exposure. Of smaller consequence, yet still effecting the situation is the flat spot on the tire, as well as the material the tire is sitting on could hold moisture, oil, etc against that part of tire, or could promote leaching of the same polymers mentioned earlier.
5 years seems to be the safe age. Truck, auto, and other frequently used tires can last much longer as age goes, if the tread holds out.
The dates can be found on the sidewall. Locate the DOT symbol, then go to the last oval after it that contains 3 or 4 numbers. The first two are the week of the year, and the last 1 or 2 incicate the year.
2299 would be 22 week of year 1999.
223 would be the 22 week of 2003
Now, personal experience. I have seen used as well as used myself old tires. But after buying a 1996 Excella that sat unsold in one spot until 1999, and then having a blowout about 2000 miles later, I decided that a long side peice of aluminum costs a WHOLE LOT more than a couple of Goodyear Marathons.
Oh, the very best thing you can do to make your tires last is to keep them inflated properly. Check them everyday before you pull. It costs absolutely nothing.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
When they get hard
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies! I have kept my tires covered and well inflated, but for various reasons the trailer has not been moved much in the last 2 years. The tires look hardly used. Nevertheless, I'm going to go ahead and have them all replaced before an upcoming trip. From what I've read here and on motorcycle threads, there are many changes that can occur in the rubber without obvious surface imperfections; this changes can lead to overheating and to stiffness in the rubber that can lead to failure. Since mine is a 99, the tires are at least 8 years old; I checked the DOT code--468--that makes them going on 9 years old.
Andrew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Andy,

That would make your tires built in week 48 of 1998. Or early December 1998. Kinda used up from most peoples view point.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have some personal experience to share on the tire age problem. I own a 1981 DeLorean Gullwing Coupe that I purchased in 1989 from the original owner with 7000 miles on it. It still had the original Goodyears on it in 1994 with 9000 miles on it and the tires. SuEllyn was driving it on I-295 in Jacksonville when a tire sidewall blew out. Fortuneately, SuEllyn was able to bring the Dlorean to a safe stop on the shoilder. I started researching the tire issue and was told by Goodyear that little-worn tires that are over seven years old are not really safe. I have followed this advice since.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote